People frown when protein shakes are mentioned

Options
Anyone else find that people frown when you mention protein shakes, and that you take them?
It was the talk this lunch time, and I brought up I take them after i work out...
first question was. "why?"

...surely the reason why is obvious? But they frown up on it...they mainly frown when a girl drinks them.

Anyone else have this problem? They frown when you want to diet. But frown when you want to increase your muscle mass. Geeeeee! But they don't complain if you're fat ¬.¬. People!

Sorry just a wee rant.

Replies

• Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    screw em! do what works for you
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't tell many people I have them, only like my partner and friends who know what I'm aiming for. If I started telling other people who I weren't so close to I could imagine I'd get a few who think it's weird, and why would I want to build / maintain muscle.

I told an old work colleague before about my interest in lifting heavy before, when the topic of exercise/fitness came up. I got "why?" I said because I want to be strong. They were still confused I think. Oh well.

As the other poster said; do what works for you! Forget everyone else :)
  • XxKeNnYxX
    XxKeNnYxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG you take protein shakes! :noway:

I'm all for protein shakes. Keep it up. I had one person before against shakes and always had something to say when I drank it. In return I would point out how bad smoking is for their health and protein shakes are not as bad.

What you do is your choice. Do what makes you happy!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't really care what anyone thinks of my drinking protein shakes, LOL! often it's the only way i get enough calories in during the day, and same with enough protein. since i need both i'm doing what i need to be doing for ME. doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. they aren't in charge of my body, nor are they the ones putting in the effort and work to CHANGE my body :-)
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am very covert with my protein shakes at work (drinking one now behind my screen!). People always ALWAYS have to say something.

Screw them.. We are hot and fit!
    And even more impressive if you are a girl - I would love to see a girl drinking one (never have!)
  • MistyboBisty
    Options
    I even drink the dreaded...wait for it...waaaait for it....Slimfast Shakes! AHHHHH! :drinker: But prior to my new lifestyle, I NEVER had breakfast. And this is my way to do it. I have a Facebook weightloss/support group, and when a couple of us mentioned shakes, a couple of other memebers were not happy. But who the heck cares? It works for us. That's all that matters.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It just gets annoying don't you think?
    They need a reason for "why" you take them! And if you say you just do cos you want to, they come up with too much protein is bad blah blah...

Silly people. Well I like them. And they're good after a work out. So yeah :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do the people giving you a hard time look this good?

2m42681.jpg

Can they engage in a physically demanding activity like rock climbing?

I'm going to bet that the answer is a very loud NO.

Screw em.
  • dollydaydream80
    Options
    Had a few of my friends ask why I'm drinking them. I struggle to get my daily calorie intake so use them to help boost it and always have one for breakfast with raw oats in and skimmed milk as I can't face a solid meal but I'll happily drink my breakfast.

Sod what anyone else thinks. They're normally the ones sat stuffing junk! =)
  • MistyboBisty
    Options

2m42681.jpg

Screw em.

Yeah!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there is a mistaken impression that your using them as a replacement for healthy meals, and not as a way to supplement your diet?
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I take in about 150 grams of protein a day (give or take), and the only way I can get that much in is through protein shakes. I'm not trying to lose my muscles and I am *gasp* a woman! Call the authorities! My husband thinks by taking in so much protein that I'm gonna get huge. I told him that unless there is some testosterone in there I'm not gonna get huge.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Seriously!

1. Most regular people (especially girls) think that a girl shouldn't have the ability to pick up heavy things (and put them down rofl!), thats what a man is for.

2. They all think protein shakes are gross, so why would you do it.

3. They aren't disciplined enough to care, and think its stupid that a female wants the best body she can have (including a bit of strength :D).

If I were you, I'd purposely start bringing protein shakes around those people. Even carry extra protein powder around and sprinkle on your other food/drinks! HA HA!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    A few days ago my boss came into my office and saw my freshly used shaker on my desk.

He proceeded to tell me his horror story about a mate of a mate of a mate, who's cousin's brother's stepdad in law once knew a guy who worked for him. Supposedly this guy was having protein shakes and it gave him terrible mood swings which eventually led to aggressive and even physically violent behaviour.

Supposedly everyone at work tried to talk him into quitting the protein shakes but he wouldn't have it, which of course meant that he was addicted to them.

Eventually, despite everyones efforts to calm him down, he ended up leaving the company.

Of course I told my boss that his story sounds like a story about steroids, which has turned into a cautionary tale about protein due to chinese whispers. He vehemently denied this and went on to imply that an argument he and I had last week was because of my protein shakes (it was actually because he's an idiot, not because of protein at all)

My boss (and his wife) have always been weird about my protein shakes ever since they found out that 3 of us in the company have them. They keep asking weird questions about what's in it and how it's made, and every time one of us is off work (usually with a training injury) they will go out of their way to tell us that it must be the protein causing it!

Some people just don't have a clue what they are talking about, and even worse, some of these clueless people refuse to accept that you know more than they do.
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options

2m42681.jpg

Screw em.

Haha thank you. Yeah I say it's for rock climbing cos it is! I need the muscle. Well I don't because it's all about technique, but having muscles helps :D!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My husband's eyes got huge when the big tub of protein powder arrived. Shakin in his boots, he was. He associates that with bodybuilders. I just smiled cuz I'm mean like that.
  • mightn
    mightn Posts: 35
    Options
    How many grams of protein do you get in a standard shake using powder? With skim milk.

I have just realised I am too low with my protein with the training I am doing so I am going to buy some protein powder. Any suggestions?
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    Perhaps there is a mistaken impression that your using them as a replacement for healthy meals, and not as a way to supplement your diet?

they always say, too much protein is bad for you, you get it in your daily meals etc. Which is true. They don't understand I "need" it to repar my muscles after a work out...and it keeps you full
  • kryptonitekelly
    Options
    How many grams of protein do you get in a standard shake using powder? With skim milk.

I have just realised I am too low with my protein with the training I am doing so I am going to buy some protein powder. Any suggestions?

Depends on the type you get

Some say 18g, others have more than 30g...
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I don't tell most people IRL. My husband rolled his eyes when my first tub arrived. He doesn't say anything about it anymore though. I know I'd get flack from some other people so I just don't mention it.