Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've been allowing myself to slack with fast food....I don't allow myself the time to make sure I prepare for work. I watch the calories, but I hadn't had it in ages. I don't need it, it's AWFUL for you, so I'm giving that up in hopes that I get completely out of the habit again and NOT go back to it!
  • joda1982
    joda1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend and I are giving up unhealthy eating out. We don't want to give up take out meals all together, but want to remove the idea that it is the food that makes going out special. It should be about the people you are with.
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am giving up going out to eat, restaurants, fast food joints, drive throughs, etc. It will help my weight loss and my bank balance. :bigsmile: This includes me and my children.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up "seconds," i.e. second helpings of dinner, snacks, etc. So I am not giving up any food group, or any food in particular, just the need to get MORE of it.

I LOVE this! I think I'll have to do it too.

I'm actually not giving anything up, (except seconds, now) I decided to work out EVERY DAY. So far I've been doing a few days a week, but school got in the way (bad excuse, I know) and I completely fell off the wagon for almost two weeks.

So, back on the wagon!

The important thing to remember about Lent is that it's not about "giving up something." It's doing something to better yourself, and improve your relationship with God.

Regardless of being Catholic or not, we should all be making improvements to our lives every day. :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Giving up fried foods completely....we'll start with Lent and then see if it continues :laugh:

P.S. - I'm not Catholic either. :wink:
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am giving up sweets and as much fast food as possible. Were supposed to go out of town this weekend and on road trips its really hard to not just swing through a fast food joint and keep trucking. Soooo lots of preparation ahead of time i guess I guess!
  • Katrina1223
    Katrina1223 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up eating out for lunch at work. My husband and I had set up that we only eat out at work once a week. However, I get lazy on the lunch making at night, and then I'm rushing in the morning, making both mine and my son's lunches. Therefore, in order to achieve my goal of not eating out, I need to start making the lunches at night. :happy:
  • teschy123
    Options
    I am catholic and I have already given up pop, and most sweets I decided this year to give up using profanity this year to help me at being a better example to my kids!!!!!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Cookies and doughnuts.... If I can do it.
  • Rav3nfan
    Rav3nfan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am giving up any and all negative thoughts and doing one kind act per day.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We're giving up fast food, junk food and red meat.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic...but I'm going to try to give up my negative thoughts. They lead to self-doubt and depression and that derails me in a lot of ways, not just my fat loss efforts...

Not just Catholics observe Lent.

I'm giving up "spiritual laziness." Going to church every Sunday during Lent, with a daily Lent devotional. I'm also considering fasting just at noon (not eating lunch) and doing my devotionals then instead of eating.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    the 2 c's, chocolate and chinese, having a vegetable kebab instead for my take out meal once a week, although i am a born again christian and i know im doing this for myself...so totally defeats the object...have to think of something else too :blushing:
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I actually just chose to give up Nutella..
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am giving up my diet pop, fast food, sweets and chips. I am not going to have any of it on Sunday's (cheat days) I am going to stay strong and I know this up should clean my body of the fats and I will feel so much better at the end. Plus maybe giving this up I wont crave it so much when it is all over.

Wow, that's a LOT to give up at one time, but you're reasoning is dead on. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sandycc88
    Options
    O my what a great idea I just dont know what to give up yet but on my cheat days (weekends) I guess i'll just give up the junk food and stick to the Healthy !!!! ( fast food, drinks, alcoholic drinks.) The difficult part is that im Mexican and my mom cooks so many hi calorie/fat meals so I will be cooking my own individual foods !!!!
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I gave up Fast Food and Icecream...since that is a major factor in my husband and my diet. Even though he is not on MFP he is onboard with this.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic...but I'm going to try to give up my negative thoughts. They lead to self-doubt and depression and that derails me in a lot of ways, not just my fat loss efforts...

Not just Catholics observe Lent.

I'm giving up "spiritual laziness." Going to church every Sunday during Lent, with a daily Lent devotional. I'm also considering fasting just at noon (not eating lunch) and doing my devotionals then instead of eating.

that's a brilliant idea, haven't been to church in a while
  • Startraveller
    Options
    Have not decided yet (what am I waiting for?) but you are all giving me good ideas! Chocolate sounds like a good one.
  • Beccaliebchen
    Beccaliebchen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I gave up so much when I went vegan so I'm actually sitting here thinking - "What on earth could I give up?" Coffee seems to be a good choice but I honestly don't think my kids and my husband would want me to give that up. LOL!