What do you give up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Sloth. I am going to celebrate the Resurrection by taking better care of the body God gave me.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I really really..wanna give up sweets and junk food. I can't say I will though..
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up two things...

1. THE SCALE: so that I start focusing on the healthy body that God gave me and stop stressing over flucuating up and down 2-3 lbs. I want to focus on toning and measurements and not get distracted by the stupid scale...

2. GOING OUT TO EAT: This will help me to spend more quality time at home preparing and eating healthier meals with my husband (not to mention easier on the wallet)
  • msfit777
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.

Loves it! :laugh:
  • AuntSissy152
    AuntSissy152 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Seattle's Best Canned Iced Coffee. I was drinking 3-4 a day. 130 calories a can. This should help the numbers on my scale go down!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    in the past I have given up bread and potatoes. Last year it was Facebook. This year I am giving up the scale, since I weigh myself everyday. I plan to log and keep up with my calories and exercise, but will stay off the scale for the next 6 weeks.
  • msfit777
    Options
    The boyfriend and I are giving up fast food and are eating vegetarian one day a week (in addition to our no meat on Fridays). I'm pretty excited, actually :).

That's great!
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    FAcebook.

IT IS DONE
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    I love that lol! :laugh:
  • amyvandyke
    Options
    I love being Catholic and the opportunity to observe Lent! (Also love that other faiths chose to observe it as well!) This year I'm giving up the mindless use of my iPhone. When I'm bored, or even when I have the opportunity to play with my son or spend time with my husband, I've found myself on my phone just wasting time! Well NOT anymore! I've also decided to put a little more effort into "being my husbands girlfriend" again! :)
  • bekah_ann13
    Options
    Thanks, as A christian I do practice fasting, but knew nothing of lent.

I did not know what lent was either... I mean I knew there was lent and people gave up things and meat on fridays but I never knew the significance behind it. I am Christian as well. I am not giving up anything for "lent" but I am kicking sweets to the curb! I started today so that I am not alone in giving something up. I am doing it for the purpose of trying to better my health, but I found myself praying several times already today because I need strength for sure! I guess its going to help me get closer to God too which is a good thing.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    One year I gave up Wal-Mart....I didn't step foot in the place for the entire 40 days! I went to every other store BUT there!
    It was amazing!

Last year we gave up fried food and chocolate.....the fried food we stuck with and have now been fried food free for one year...unless we eat at a restaurant then the husband and kids go for it if they want, I usually don't but I do have the occasional french fry.....just nohing fried at home anymore!

This year I am giving up ice cream and frozen yogurt(yes, this is a saccrifice for me. I eat ice cream almost every day)
    I have a few other things that I'm planning on cutting back on but not truly givng up completely!

Good Luck everyone!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am giving up junk food for the next 46 days. And also my Caramel Lattes. YIKES!!!:sad:
  • Pir8Rav
    Pir8Rav Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anglican/Protestant here - no need to observe Lent with a huge act but I've used the time to try to give something up in a act of solidarity.

Meat (except Seafood)
    Daytime smoking
    Nighttime alcohol nightcaps
    Deadly sin: Sloth - as an act to keep busy and root out inactivity and make changes to initiate a difference in areas of my life that need attention and deserve action.

I had a midnight steak, few scotch, a few smokes late last night as a symbolic last before I start to the next 40 days of absence.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sobriety.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am giving up Chocolate! I already want some! grrrrr!!!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Religion.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this all day today. Was going to be pizza, but since there is a Lean Cuisine Roasted Vegetable Pizza sitting on my desk waiting for lunch, I think I would be off to a bad start.

I like the debit card idea, but my bank doesn't have enough ATM's, so I would end up paying a fortune in fees.

I think I will give up my $1.25 daily Diet Coke from the vending machine and put the money in my son's rice bowl for school.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up pancakes :happy: That's the whole point of Pancake Day innit, gorge yourself on pancakes and then not eat them again for 40 days? :laugh:

(I'm only kidding people! I know about Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday etc I also know http://www.cogwriter.com/lent.htm)
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I stopped giving up typical things and started giving up my time and some $$.

I go buy lunch sacks and fill them with daily essentials and some food and water and one scripture. Then on the first day I make sure I give a pack to one person and then each day I add a person.

Other than that I do fast.