What do you give up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• cydnugent
    Options
    I'm not really giving up anything, but I am being more responsible for my own health and also going to Mass twice a week and attend the Stations of The Cross on Fridays!!:happy:
  • cydnugent
    Options
    Oh and biting my nails, though that's been part of mine since I was a kid!! Still biting (and I'm 37) Let's hope I succeed this time!! lol :tongue:
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'M GIVING UP CURSING. MY MOUTH IS WORSE THAN ANY OF THE MOB WIVES. I HAVE BECOME SO USE TO IT THAT I DON'T KNOW I'M DOING IT ANYMORE. I USE TO NOT EVER CURSE.
  • amyotte1992
    amyotte1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!!
  • Joyja1075
    Joyja1075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my diet LOL
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have decided to give up being over-weight. I have been dieting now for some time, and now he wants to join in. I know it's a life changing thing..but...it's great that Lent got him started :)
  • msfit777
    Options
    I am giving up nail biting. Thought it was about time at 36 years old... :)

I am 34 and my new year's resolution was to stop biting my nails. I would argue that this is harder than giving up any substance because what you are trying to give up is literally ALWAYS at your finger tips! But it's not impossible and I have done pretty well with it (I actually have nails now)! I chew a lot of gum and play with my hair more. Hope you are able to find healthy alternatives. Best wishes!!
  • Chrissle
    Chrissle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, cigs (easy bc I only smoke when I drink) and cheese. I think cheese will be the hardest, by far. I'm not Catholic but I participate in Lent every year.
  • pazzap
    Options
    I have decided to make a list of 40 people who have touched my life in one way or another. Each of day of Lent, I will write a letter of thanks to a person on the list for how they touched my life and I will pray for that person on that day. :smile:
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up chocolate & alcohol. I succeeded! This year.... cheese. Wish me luck!
  • katien1221
    katien1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to give up swearing and chocolate--in all forms--syrup, ice cream, candy, coffee, etc...and I'm going to do the quarter in a jar every time I swear--I'll donate it to my favorite charity--St.Baldricks when I'm done!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make a list of 40 people who have touched my life in one way or another. Each of day of Lent, I will write a letter of thanks to a person on the list for how they touched my life and I will pray for that person on that day. :smile:
    I love this idea!!!! How very meaningful!!
    I have given up WINE and sweets
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow after reading this is kind of funny, well first I want some of these folk to stop being ignorant, you do not have to be Catholic to participate in Lent, and whoever gave that generic Wikapedia definition of Lent need to do a little more research, Its about change and refraining from the luxuries of life that have us so blinded feeling like we cant live without them, the purpose is for us to do a complete 180 from cetrain things that have us bound and we should probably not go back to them anyway. As a Chrsitian I fast all the time, and I've been fasting since January so becase Lent is here I dont really have anything extra to give up but just to keep doing what I'm doing but adding to it. With that being said, for Lent I'm adding more workouts to my regimine. SELAH
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Soda
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of Lent?

Lent is the Christian observance of the liturgical year from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.

The traditional purpose of Lent is the penitential preparation of the believer—through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial. During Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxury as a form of penitence

Technically it is a catholic observation
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I love that idea! I think I have to borrow it.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.

Amen to that. I've given up on Catholic hypocrisy and rules. I've been burned to many times by those who treat me like crap in the name of the "God of Love".

Ah, but is Lent really a Christian tradition? The answer, like all their holidays, is no :smile: "Lent" or 40 days of fasting before the resurrection, was being practised by the Babylonians before "Jesus" was supposed to be around. And I say supposed to be around, because the early Christian leaders decided to placate the ignorant masses by historizing stories that had been around for thousands of years, and then passing the ideas off as their own.
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I gave up Nutella Haha so good yet so not good for me
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Candy. I tried to last year too and failed. The biggest issue is the Mini Eggs... darn them!!
    We're doing it full force this year though!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The girls and I were thinking about this. The whole purpose of Lent is to be obedient to God...so instead of giving up something..we have decided that every morning..we are going to write a list of things that we are going to do which will be for the glory of God and advance his kingdom...I figured its a better way to go..and to teach the girls that every day..you have to Glorify God..who has given life to them