Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• cristina_marie
    Options
    I'm a member of Planet Fitness! I love it there! They have great equipment and a really great staff!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Was a former member and lets say i stopped going after a month... it wasnt what I thought a gym should be ... yes its cheap but you get what you pay for..... I just joined a gym LA FITNESS like 20mins from my house BUT OMG it is so worth it i love it, it even has classes its a bit pricey here in NY but prices vary from state to state. I mean I go here and sometimes I dont want to leave the people there keep me motivated because they are there to actually work out and change not to work out and flirt.

I joined LA Fitness by me and its gross, I swear they never clean it and the equipment is always broken
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It's good if you are on a tight budget or if you don't many options for other gyms. I myself wouldn't go there since I dislike there no grunting/lunk alarm policy and their message of no judgement zone while being critical of bodybuilders and powerlifters.

Im fine with the lunk alarm for the guys that toss the weights around showing off for the girls, but grunting? seriously- sometimes you have to grunt to get through a set. And exactly! @ judging body builders

HATE THE HATE!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It's fine until you want to do any serious weight lifting. I took a tour of mine and they kept saying "and best of all, no grunting allowed!" ... which is fine if you're lifting 5lb weights but I don't need someone shouting at me to keep quiet when I'm trying to bust through the last few reps in the squat rack (which, they actually didn't even have, so I suppose the problem is solved...).
  • 06fusion4us
    Options
    There are plenty in my area. My ex signed up there. I opted for the YMCA since I have a son. I checked it out and did not wow me. That is just me. I do avoid Golds and Ballys.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of PF. It is a decent gym. It's clean, basic and to the point. There are a ton of treadmills, elipticals and bikes on one side and weights and weight machines are on the other side.

No classes, personal training, saunas, pools, etc.... just basic machines and that is it. They have a very strict "No cell phone" policy and will yell at you if you are on your phone while in the gym.

My gym had free bagel and cream cheese night and free pizza night.... and they have tootsie rolls everywhere!!! I am not a fan of that as I go to the gym to lose weight and be healthy... not to be tempted by smelling greasy pizza the whole time I'm on the treadmill!

It's great for those on a budget. I cancelled my membership as I prefer to take classes.
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LOVE planet fitness! i don't swim and hate saunas... so they have everything i need. i just use the cardio machines(treadmills, ellipticals, a ton of arc trainers) and strength training machines. i pay 15/month, no contract. it's perfect.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The one by me has pizza night on Mondays. Really?!?!?!?!? You market yourself to newbies (no heavy weights, no grunting, etc) and you have a pizza night? Losing weight is 90% diet and 10% everything else and you're handing out pizza. I will NEVER be a member there.

The one by my parents' house has a pizza night and a bagel morning too. I get the whole "community" aspect but I agree with you, I think having free pizza at a fitness place is silly. I also think it's funny they say "no judgement" but they totally judge people who like to lift heavy. :p

Other than that, my parents say they really like it and it's always clean. :)
  • yoovie
    Options
    I grunt anyway sometimes.
    shh dont tell on me.
  • Ajones33
    Options
    I love PF, not sure about yours but my location offers classes for black card member. I LOVE it& the judgement free zone.

It's meant to be more of a relaxed gym so that why they offer Pizza Mondays and bagels the first month of every tuesday ( at mine anyway)

I don't have the pizza but I am also a big believer in portion size!

It doesn't have allll the fancy frills of most gyms mine offers, tanning, massage chairs& red light therapy. That's all I need! So..if you think you need or will eventually want more then it's not for you.
  • hjfischer
    Options
    I am a fairly new member. I have the $20 membership. It does not have all the classes, pool, sauna that I normally like, but HEY, it is $20 a month and I get to tan and bring a friend every time I go. Bonus! You get what you pay for. If you want a ton of classes, pools, saunas, basketball, etc., then you can pay for it. Me, not so much. I prefer to run outside, so I go there for the weights. Works for me.
  • joyous504
    Options
    I'm a member at Planet Fitness in Albuquerque, NM and I love it. My favorite machine, that really burns calories, is The Arc fitness trainer. They also offer a circuit training area which is a lot like Curves. I pay $20 a month and that allows me to workout at any of the gyms, unlimited tanning, red light therapy, and haircuts. This gym has contributed to my continued weight loss.
  • yoovie
    Options
    We pitched a fit at our planet fitness for doing pizza night- in the gym. We went off. How on earth are we supposed to work out when we think we are running circles in a pizzeria?????

They compromised and started doing these vegan baked tomato crisps things- but the smell still messes up your workout in the worst way- Im glad pizza night is only a couple hours on one day of the month.

Annnnd that is probably why Mondays I go in the AM
  • Ajones33
    Options

No classes, personal training, saunas, pools, etc.... just basic machines and that is it. They have a very strict "No cell phone" policy and will yell at you if you are on your phone while in the gym.

My gym had free bagel and cream cheese night and free pizza night.... and they have tootsie rolls everywhere!!! I am not a fan of that as I go to the gym to lose weight and be healthy... not to be tempted by smelling greasy pizza the whole time I'm on the treadmill!

My Planet Fitness has classes, personal training and they don't place the pizza anywhere near people exercising, in fact it's in it's own room.

I suggest for people curious to go on a walk through of that particular gym and see if you find any 'problems' people are listing. A good idea for a walk through is to go at a time you will be actually going to the gym so you can see how crowded it is and the people who are there..(not to judge!) to see what machines/weights they are using so you know if there will be room.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love it..............the people are friendly, talk to you like a person and not stupid...........as for the Pizza Night it is only the first MONDAY of every MONTH and no Bagels.............that doesn't bother me because I go to use the equipment not to judge people and what they choose to eat or when...........
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I was a member when PF was just starting out in my area and it was the place to be...Super cheap, had plenty of free weights and the place was clean for the most part. Then the cooperate mandates starting coming in as popularity grew...and the quality of the gym deteriorated. They removed half of the free-weights replacing them with assisted machines that offer no versatility and consistent stain. They put in the 'lunk' alarm and various other modes of propaganda that hold all the segregation and tasteless 'exclusions' that one would have found in Germany during the 40's-50's.And worst of all the place started getting crowded...which brought more foul BO to the gym.

Needless to say I had to call it quits.

Overall PF is a great place for people whom are just interested in the bare essentials of fitness. If you're just trying to get in shape because your doctor or family has been pressuring you to do so...Start at PF. If you're looking for a more serious facility that caters heavily toward muscular development...look elsewhere.

One last gripe..I never fully wrapped my head about their whole 'judgment free' zone...It's aggravatingly contradictory at a minimum. They want everyone to feel welcome and comfortable in their own skin in their gym...okay...got it, completely understandable...but why go so far out of your way to put down everyone who's actually worked hard for their physique and wants to perpetuate that success??

The world isn't all cupcakes and rainbows...You're gonna take a lot of shots before you become anybody worth talking about. So grow some thicker skin, put your man pants on, and quit making excuses or blaming variables for your own shortcomings.

That's all I got, thanks for your time.
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I am a member and I love it. It is the only gym that I have gone to, that I want to go back. There is no judgement. And yeah they have pizza night, but I don't have to eat it. I love the unlimited massages, and the fact that I can bring someone with me every day if I want to FOR FREE. And they are not badgered to join or buy something.

I am always greeted with a smile and the workers are quick to answer any questions I might have on how to work a machine. No, there is not a pool or a sauna, but no one really misses them anyway. The one I go to just opened last week and I have not heard anyone complaining about a thing.

I for one could not get 30 days of working out for $20 anywhere else.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Ah, I would never join a gym that had pizza night! My old gym was right next door to a Mexican restaurant and that was torture enough.

That being said, I'm a member of World Gym. This is the best gym I've ever belonged to. The amenities vary by location and I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel but there is one less than 15 miles from you. I love that they're open 24 hours, they have various classes (something for everyone), a women's only fitness area, tanning and childcare. Their plans are very affordable - mine is $10.00 month with a small yearly maintenance fee. You can join without a contract and they are upfront about everything, unlike some gyms.

Most gyms offer a free 7 day pass. I would suggest you take advantage of this. Get a free pass to multiple gyms you're considering (but one at a time) Go as many times as you can to see which gym best meets you're criteria. Whatever you decide- good luck!

Edited to add the link to World Gym (just in case :wink: ): http://www.worldgym.com/index.php?page=localGym&gymId=1174
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm a member, but I don't love it. It's fine for cardio, but the lunk alarm is obnoxious and if you're serious about strength training you really can't get a good workout in with the limited equipment/weights they offer and all of their stupid rules. I pretty much go for cardio and tanning, and do the bulk of my strength training at another gym where I'm also a member.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This thread made me want to join!! There isn't one close to me. :(