new ideas to stay at 1200-1300 cals

Options
Hello everyone...

I started on MFP 4 days ago... I have been having some issues staying under the required 1300 cals per day.. what a challenge it has been...

Any ideas? how did you guys end up doing it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Please add me for some motivation!!!

Replies

• beach_chelle
    Options
    Lots of veggies like raw carrots or celery. Even a baked patatoe can be filling with low calories. Look for things with high fiber like apples which can be very filling. And lots of lean protiens. I am not at as low calories as you but these should help :-) good luck and hang in there?
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i can't... so i work out :)
  • Lilith8984
    Lilith8984 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    First look at what you are eating. There could be simple things you could cut out like pop, candy, and fast food. If you've already done that, go for fruits and veggies. They are usually low calories and high fiber. Fiber and protein fill you up and burn longer. But beware of peanut butter. Popcorn might help while you're still adjusting. Or sugar free jello.

Edit: Or like the above people said. Workout so you can eat more. I'd suggest starting with Jillian Michel's 30 day shred if you don't already have a plan.
  • angelskye6
    angelskye6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal (weight control) is my FAVORITE breakfast and it really does fill me up. I usually have a big dinner with protein, carbs, and veggies. Popcorn is also a great snack that will fill you up. Drinking a LOT of water and hot tea helps me a lot, too. And I work out to earn more calories. The beginning is always the hardest and you will feel like you're starving, but hang in there! ;-)
  • enginerd81
    Options
    What are you eating now?

Salads (with very minimal or no dressing) and vegetables are super filling and low in calories. Lean meats - again without sauces are a good way to go. Buying 90/10 or 96/4 beef vs standard ground round will save alot along with boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I like to eat so I always do 300 calories of cardio to make room for my snacking.
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes! They're a life saver.I get a rice cake with a tablespoon of peanutbutter for a snake and it's very filling. The rice cake snacks- that are like chips- are also very filling and a healthy snack alternative.

Also, be sure you're drinking your water. Sometimes if you feel peckish and you down a glass of water you feel full.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Soup! Salad! Those have been my saving graces..I make a few low calorie, veggie filled soups and freeze them in individual containers.
    Also a bag of mixed greens and precut veggies can be a quick salad. Also try cooking some chicken on Sunday and then you can toss that in as well.
    Also I gave up cheese for just about everything.

Change out your bread to flat out wraps or my new fave...pumpernickel bread...120 cals for 2 slices!!

Low fat yogurt, apples, and popcorn are go to snacks as well.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

me too!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am on 1200 calories and manage to stay under it without getting hungry so you are welcome to look at my diary and see what I eat!

It took me time to figure out what kept me full the longest that was still within my calorie range ie I was originally having cereal for breakfast but was starving by 11am, so I swapped to a Wheat Free bread and have toast and am satisfied until lunch time and both breakfasts have around the same calories :-)

Hang in there, you will get there :-)
  • RPai
    RPai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Either exercise more, or skip snacking and only eat lunch/dinner. I've been staying around that caloric range for quite some time now successfully. Avoid nuts (high in calories for not a lot of satisfaction) and any regular fruit or soft drinks. Also try to substitute with calorie free items when possible. I wouldn't not have been able to do what I have done without my constant supply of Diet Coke. :-)
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The 1st poster is right. Adding a lot of fresh veggies has helped a lot. But it does take work - I am constantly going to the store and chopping but it is worth it and I think the prices for fresh veggies are at least comparable to the frozen ones. Salads. Low cal snacks. I try to eat something healthy like a cucumber or yogurt for a snack and then if I am still hungry I will eat something else that is more filling. Fish is a life saver. Try to figure out what type of food keeps you full longer - you will have to experiment, each person is different. Oatmeal and fruit does nothing for me. But on the other hand - something like beans and rice keeps me full for more than half the day so I plan on doing that a few times a month. I agree with the potatoes too. But if you are constantly hungry and you know it is not bored hungry then you may really need to eat more.
  • rede2losemore
    Options
    i cant do 1200 i do about 1800 a day 6 meals of 300 calories and I do resistance training and HIIT for cardio :) good luck
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Ha! That's good enough! :)
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at your food diary and it looks like you are eating lots of pasta, which doesn't keep you full for long, so you may want to reduce the pasta and increase your protein and fiber intake (including veggies).
  • DavesKitten
    Options
    Lots of great ideas, thank you everyone!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hydration and recording time between meals. for example, if i had a protein shake at 8am (and i really feel protein shakes curb *my* appetite for awhile) i will not let myself snack for at least 2 hours, because i just gave myself a good dose of fuel. it's not that hard to resist, and when you space out your calories like that, inevitably you'll succeed :)
    sometimes i have days (like yesterday) where i had a really big low calorie meal (gigantic salad) that keeps me full for hours and hours and then i can't even make it to 1200! (yesterday is a bad example in my food diary, though, because IMO i really under-ate)

but - to recap:
    hydration + spacing out meals/snacks + eating filling, nutritional meals and snacks like protein shakes and salads.
  • Lynnhealthpro
    Options
    Try hungry girl and skinny taste both have lots of savory low cal meals. Oh and exercise is a must:-)
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    dump cheese and bread as much as you can....or find the low cal whole wheat bread and laughing cow cheese (it actually taste better).
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Ditto

Throw me in with you guys!