What eating no processed food can do!

Options

Replies

• rdmchugh
    Options
    This is a GREAT video on the same topic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA

Another good video talks about studies on food and behavior:
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/russell-blaylock-nutrition-and-behavior-aspartame/
  • Darrknys
    Options
    inspiring video. 9 cups of veggies daily? in the words of barney stinson 'challenge accepted'! :)

lol I know it's a lot. When I first heard her say that I was thinking 'could I actually eat 9 cups?' It's a nice healthy challenge. However, it can get expensive when you are on a low budget. I can get some veggies and fruits for cheap at the Asian market not to far for me, although I am only recently eating a lot healthier than I have been in the past. I think once I've adjusted to eating better for myself will I then try a challenge like this. I don't want to strain my body into super healthy mode.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    All foods are processed to an extent....so eating no processed foods would cause one to starve to death.

Fresh meats, vegetables and fruits eaten raw are not processed in the sense they are talking about in the video.

I am adopting eating raw meat now along with raw vegetables and fruit, I am liking how I feel so far!!
  • Darrknys
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I wonder what I could substitute for the organ meat and the seaweed...

I personally have sensitive taste buds. So anything with bottom feeders like catfish or fungus like mushrooms makes my stomach upset and feel I need to puke for a bit. So something like organs that are used to process the bad out is also the same for me.
    I do love Nori, dried seaweed. So that for me is not too much of a problem. I do make my own sushi, cheaper and better for you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    All foods are processed to an extent....so eating no processed foods would cause one to starve to death.

That's not true at all.
    You can grow your own foods and not process them. Fruits, vegetables, anything that comes from the ground is not processed, as long as no pesticides and stuff were used.
    That's what me and my boyfriend plan to do with our house, we plan to have our own farm and grow our own food for health reasons.

Congratulations on your ability to live off of nothing but home grown fruits and veggies. I like to eat meat, so this is not an option for me.

I eat meat and it is not processed. Mearly skinned and cut into appropriate cuts. I am starting to enjoy it raw too, ruminant animals that have been grass fed that it.

I eat no boxed, packaged, frozen foods any longer, so no I don't eat processed foods.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I wonder what I could substitute for the organ meat and the seaweed...

Organ meat and seaweed are good and very good for you.

Searing a sliced liver just a bit on each side is AWESOME. So is beef tongue...........
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    Local farmer's markets are wonderful places to get lots of good veggies and fruit for reasonable prices. I can go once a week and get veggies to do about 2 plates full of veggies per person per day for around $45 to feed 3 people. So that is about $15 per week. I go and buy what they have and go home and look up recipes to cook what I purchased. At this point, I don't have to look up much, just pull out my big binder of healthy cooking recipes and lay out 5-6 for the week. We usually do one night a week as "left over night".
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I think you missed the point...

As many. many people do.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Organ meat and seaweed are good and very good for you.

Searing a sliced liver just a bit on each side is AWESOME. So is beef tongue...........

Kidneys are delicious too, either in a stew with casserole steak, or fried (traditionally in a spiced cream sauce...traditional British food uses a lot of organ meat).

I was brought up eating this sort of thing, and I really like it. Learning to cook it well is key, though.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    that was great!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    wow!
  • weaverfit
    Options
    I won't eat organ meats because I know what their body function is -- they're filters for all the bad stuff in your body. The only one I might consider is heart but there are too many other meat products to eat. Guess I'll just make the sacrifice.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    @oneday- did you watch it?

I doubt it...

Anyway, thanks for the link! I have cut most processed foods out (exception being eating out occaisionally :)) and can definately feel the difference.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

That's not true at all.
    You can grow your own foods and not process them. Fruits, vegetables, anything that comes from the ground is not processed, as long as no pesticides and stuff were used.
    That's what me and my boyfriend plan to do with our house, we plan to have our own farm and grow our own food for health reasons.

Congratulations on your ability to live off of nothing but home grown fruits and veggies. I like to eat meat, so this is not an option for me.

^Clearly hasn't actually watched the video....

That said, I think that a different title for this post might be less incendiary. Something like "the power of micronutrients" or something.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I won't eat organ meats because I know what their body function is -- they're filters for all the bad stuff in your body. The only one I might consider is heart but there are too many other meat products to eat. Guess I'll just make the sacrifice.
    That is why I do not eat organ meats....I know their function and it grosses me out...sorry organ meat eaters.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Bump to catch up on all these video suggestions... thanks everyone for the positive suggestions :flowerforyou:
  • Jamie65toloose
    Jamie65toloose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went raw vegan for about 3 months and lost 50 pounds. Its amazing how much I instantly felt better. I loved it and it gets easier, once your body is used to not stuffing itself with junk. Many links on youtube are great for additional information. Good post!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I completely agree. In an ideal world, I would love to have a Paleo (primal) diet. However, I dont think that will ever happen given my particular lifestyle. BUT I am laying off the grains and eating gobs of veggies, fruits, good fats, and lots of protein. (MFP's protein settings are WAY too low).

Gots to make my body healthy and build muscle!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I think you missed the point...

As many. many people do.
    Raw frruits and vegatables,not processed,but I don't consider frozen processed either. Canned fruit and veggies, equal processed...cooked and either salt or sugar added. Meats uncooked not processed,but turned into lunch meat or sausage processed, but buying it and cooking it at home I don't consider that processed. Rice and grains and beans not processed unless beans in a can and rice and grains in those boxes with flavor like rice-a-roni.