3 months on MFP 26 lbs. lost half way to GW with pics!

Options
Hi everyone! It may be a little early to call this a success story, but I would say half way is just as good a time as any for me to celebrate! Today, I looked at the scale, and it is the lowest it has ever been since I've stopped growing. This might be a long post, so be prepared to read for a while!

About 5 months ago, I hit what I hope would be my rock bottom in life. I weighed the heaviest I ever did, I wasn't in school because I had to withdraw for a back injury, and my hours at work were minimal. On top of all of this, was the thing I was least proud of. From a surgery I had on my cheekbone a couple of years ago, I had developed a nasty habit. The surgery was very painful, and so naturally my doctor prescribed me some pretty strong pain medication. Which in the beginning, I was very thankful for because of the pain that I was in. Time progressed, and the pain let up. At this point I had been on opiate medications for a couple of months. My doctor then told me that everything was healing as planned, and I could stop taking the pain medication and replace it with ibuprofen. Well, at this point I was already physically addicted to them, and was completely terrified of the way I felt when I stopped taking the pain medication. I was embarassed, ashamed, and I had no idea where to turn. I began buying the medication on the street, wherever I could just to feel normal. This went on for a couple of years, and I did some things that I am definitely not proud of.

Four months ago, my little cousin, my best friend, was taken from this world in a fatal car accident. The whole family was just devestated, and we still are. It gave me some time to evaluate my life. If you don't believe in the supernatural, you should probably stop reading here. A few nights after the funeral, I was coming home from work and my parents were sitting in the livingroom. My mom asked me to sit down next to her, and she held me very tight. She began to tell me about a dream that she had. Sabastian (my late cousin) had come to her, and said that he was worried about me. She asked me if there was anything she should be worried about, and I lied. I told her no, everything was fine, my back was bothering me, and I was distraught about my cousin. That night, I couldn't sleep. All that I could do was think about how Sabastian was trying to help me, and I was just flat out denying it. The next day, I decided that I needed to get help. I went online, and found a doctor, a psychiatrist, and some local NA meetings to attend. After getting everything planned out, I told my parents. This was the most terrifying thing I have ever done. I was afraid they were going to yell, scream, disown me, hate me forever, I don't know, I just feared the worst. They didn't do any of that. They accepted it, supported me, and my mom stayed up and held me all night as I was going through withdrawal preparing to get clean. Well, now 4-5 months later, here I am, clean as a whistle, and making every improvement in my life that I can.

One day, my mom asked me to hit a zumba class with her. I wasn't going to go at first, but then I thought about that night that she held me, and comforted me at my lowest, and realized that I at least owed it to her to go humor her. So I went with her, and to my surprise ended up having a blast! That night, I signed up for a full time membership at the gym, and signed up on MFP to start my diet. My best friend, who also supported me through my recovery, then started working out with me. From there on out, there was no turning back! Here I am now, 26 lbs. lighter, a whole lot cleaner, and happier than I've ever been in my entire life! Okay, now I'm past the boring stuff, here's some progress pictures :D

I'm 5'5" and 23 years old:

12/15/2011... 183 lbs.
Weightloss1.jpg

1/8/2012... 168 lbs.
Weightloss2.jpg

2/22/2012... 159 lbs.
weightloss3.jpg

Sorry for the long post! haha

Replies

• BornToRun14
    Options
    You look fabulous!! Keep up the great work!
  • Bradysgirl214
    Bradysgirl214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look amazing!
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Congrats on getting healthier in mind and body.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :D
  • joyous504
    Options
    Congrats!!! You look fantastic!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i am thrilled for you and honored you decided to share your story. i'm also in recovery, for alcoholism. 4.5 years sober! ADDING YOU NOW.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Health is more about just physical health. There is a mental and spiritual side too. Sounds like you faced some difficult !@#$ and screw it, punched it in the face, and have probably more character, integrity and mental strength than 90% of the people on this earth. Great job!
  • softballsharie
    Options
    Thank you mucho Joyous! Wow! 4.5 years! How inspiring! Glad I'm not alone. <3
  • softballsharie
    Options
    Health is more about just physical health. There is a mental and spiritual side too. Sounds like you faced some difficult !@#$ and screw it, punched it in the face, and have probably more character, integrity and mental strength than 90% of the people on this earth. Great job!

What a great way to put it! From now on, I'm telling people I punched my struggles square in the jaw! haha Thank you for your kind words :]
  • abigailrschwartz
    abigailrschwartz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    NICE! You look great!
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    you really do look fab, well done
  • ksuther13
    Options
    Great job! You can really see a difference throughout your whole body, especially your jawline. WTG!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! Go hug your mom for me. ;-) And way to go!!!
  • softballsharie
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind words! Wow I didn't even notice the difference in my jawline until now. Thanks for pointing it out, definitely a confidence booster ;]
  • softballsharie
    Options
    What an inspiration! Go hug your mom for me. ;-) And way to go!!!

I'll give her a nice big one tonight! Thank you :D
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and I want you to know I have always been incredibly proud to be your friend. :-) You are so strong in so many ways.
  • motb123
    Options
    Well done to you! Such great courage firstly to accept you needed help, and for posting on here. I am so pleased your cousin was able to help you.(I believe in after life)
    Your pictures are fab such a big difference already and please post more once you have reached target. Well done.
  • trishdhumphrey
    trishdhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! You look great. Keep it up :)
  • HeatherScottTN
    HeatherScottTN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing... you are doing great! You have a NEW LIFE Ahead.... Stay focused on what moves you towards your goals. That includes all choices you make in life...food, friends, fun.... Is this one step closer to the life I want to build or does it/they pull me away from the life I want. I'm proud of you for your choices....and commitment...and results! I am praying Blessings on you and that you may be used in someone else's life...to help them see what they can become. Keep up the great work!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You made me tear up. What an awesome story, you should be so proud, not just of the physical changes but of the mental ones too. You look amazing girl, keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!