Woman Belly...

Options

Replies

• Liseii01
    Liseii01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a super sad belly button (haha) I see progress with my weight loss (I started at 170.4) slowly but shortly, I am going to be doing 6 weeks of fat burning classes to see if that makes a dent in anything =)
  • cherryb75
    cherryb75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight I'll just be a smaller version of what I am now...which is looking like I'm about 4-5 months preggo. Been there.

My mom has the belly, my grandma has the belly...I've come to terms with the presence of the belly. I could probably torture myself trying to get rid of it, but...nah. I've had 2 kids and nothing on my body will *ever* be like it was when I was 21, unless a scalpel is involved *shudder*. If I can just get the weight off and get in better shape, I can deal with it. :)
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think it is pretty common for women to hold weight in their bellies. My belly is definitely smaller, but it is still there (and likely always will be). I can not do traditional ab work due to steel rods in my spine. Also, I've noticed when I bend over it appears to be more leftover skin than actual fat.

I used to obsess about fixing it and getting a flat tummy. Now, I've come to accept that at 36 years old with two kids - I won't ever have a flat tummy. And that's okay. :)

I also have rods in my spine, and I've recently discovered that I can do a bunch of the ab exercises with a stability ball. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKS5SvIXNY Particularly the prone knee crunches. I'm totally addicted to those. :heart: I still can't do anything that requires the spine to bend, but I'm excited to have finally found a few that work for me. :)

To the OP, I wish I had some good advice for you. It's hard to imagine my own tummy looking better, especially after 3 10-lb kids, but I've seen enough success stories on here from people transforming their bodies with heavy lifting to keeps my hopes up.
  • goodadvice
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs.... 50lbs. to go... belly going down very slowly in proportion to the rest of my body. From what I've been reading, cardio intervals are very effective at getting right to the belly fat. Hope this works for you! and me!!
  • rlholt09
    Options
  • KellyAS711
    KellyAS711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What your describing is what a lot of women have problems with. It is a combination of genetics and aging. As we age our bodies lose muscle mass in exchange for fat stores. Losing the muscle mass decreases the amount of calories that we burn making weight loss more difficult. Genetically speaking, people can be described as being apple shaped (which is me) or pear shaped. This is determined by the waist to hip ratio. Women who are apple shaped have larger stores of visceral fat which can be very dangerous to their health. According the the Mayo Clinic, "You can tone abdominal muscles with crunches or other targeted abdominal exercises, but these exercises won't get rid of belly fat. Fortunately, however, visceral fat responds to the same diet and exercise strategies that can help you shed excess pounds and lower your total body fat". The Mayo Clinic recommends eating a healthy diet, keeping portion sizes in check, and including exercise in your daily routine to help reduce visceral fat stores.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat/WO00128/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • optional1
    optional1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    im gonna tell you something i have been doing , im 110 pounds been working out most of my life i have four kids that are now adults i had 4 c-sections . I dont have a bad scar , the pooch , i just could not get rid of. the fat around this area for the past year i have been reserching how to tighten the skin and break up the fat, so i started massaging my hole belly with palmers oil treatment and tightning lotin . taking the fat and rollin it between my hands then putting on my sweat belt and do workout following my massage im telling you ladies this is amazing i cannot believe whats happening to my abs!! i also use these to lotions on my body everyday ,mix the two together it improves the overal clarity of your skin give it 30 days and you will love it!!!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Same problem. I can see the bottom line of my ribcage clearly but I have a poochy belly that makes me feel like I haven't lost weight at all. I still have 15lb to lose so I hope it'll get smaller if not go away. I know it's not just lose skin in my case, though...there's just too much there.

Gluten intolerance runs in my family, but we're still not sure if I have it (4 tests, 2 faintly positive, 2 negative).
    I've given it up gluten for Lent as a trial to see if it does help.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's your diet. I don't know what it is in your diet, but it's probably related. I've seen people who were 'skinny fat' that weren't exercising change their diet and get smaller tummies
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    running, running, running...that seems to be the only thing that really does it for my abs...i still have some to go but it is definitely running for me...
  • darylinny
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a tummy tuck? My stomach is the worse because the skin is still streched from when I was pregnant. I don't have hardly any elasticity in that section of my body. It's genetic and i'll never loose it by exercising. I have gone to two plastic surgeons who have confirmed this. Not sure if this is your problem but it's worth looking in too. You look great anyway. Good luck!

This was my experience too. Extra skin!!! But depending on your age and skin elasticity you may be able to tighten it up. Unfortunately, my elasticity is shot and a the plastic surgeon I saw wanted to give me a "body lift"! If only I had $15,000 lying around and about 4 weeks of sick time banked at work then I would totally do this!

Good luck with something that works for you!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It's given me a lot to think about and it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

For some of you who recommended cardio workouts and 30 Day Shred I have been doing those. I make it a point to workout every day switching from going to the gym and doing the elliptical and weights to going through 30 Day Shred for the second round now and running 3 miles. I try to keep the running down because I've been having a hip issue for several months. As long as I'm careful and don't over train running-wise I'm fine.

Anyway, for all I know maybe my real, ideal weight for my frame is supposed to be in the 120s or low 130s. I wouldn't know because I've been overweight all my life. I think only time will tell. I'm pretty positive I don't have any left over skin because I have not lost weight fast enough for that to happen and like someone else mentioned, I know I have more under the skin-- it's fat!
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I too have a belly even at my heaviest, I had always had a flat stomach. I just went to the Dr. and Chiro, WHEAT!!!! I am so backed up with S*** and gas that I look descended and my belly sounds like a drum. I have to cut out all wheat and gluten. My little snacks of homemade granola and the whole wheat low carb tortilla is killing me. I am never hungry because I am so bloated. Try taking out wheat. It takes up to 4 days to stop the cravings and once you have eliminated it you should see a difference in your belly.
    HTH's

I have to agree with this. I had been bouncing between 147 and 150 for a YEAR, regardless of how much I exercised or how religious I was about getting a healthy deficit. I have not had wheat for ONE WEEK.... Last Friday, I weighed 149.4. This morning, I weighed 146lbs. And have lost 1/2 inch off my waist, and an inch off the "spare tire" AND it's that time of the month the boot. Not to mention that I look less puffy all over, and that my IBS symptoms have pretty much vanished.

Not saying this is the miracle cure, but it's been the first time I've seen results in a long time, and I feel fantastic.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I too have a belly even at my heaviest, I had always had a flat stomach. I just went to the Dr. and Chiro, WHEAT!!!! I am so backed up with S*** and gas that I look descended and my belly sounds like a drum. I have to cut out all wheat and gluten. My little snacks of homemade granola and the whole wheat low carb tortilla is killing me. I am never hungry because I am so bloated. Try taking out wheat. It takes up to 4 days to stop the cravings and once you have eliminated it you should see a difference in your belly.
    HTH's

I have to agree with this. I had been bouncing between 147 and 150 for a YEAR, regardless of how much I exercised or how religious I was about getting a healthy deficit. I have not had wheat for ONE WEEK.... Last Friday, I weighed 149.4. This morning, I weighed 146lbs. And have lost 1/2 inch off my waist, and an inch off the "spare tire" AND it's that time of the month the boot. Not to mention that I look less puffy all over, and that my IBS symptoms have pretty much vanished.

Not saying this is the miracle cure, but it's been the first time I've seen results in a long time, and I feel fantastic.

Well, that's something I thought about is maybe I should cut down (not necessarily cut out) my intake of wheat. I don't *think* I eat THAT much wheat, I certainly don't feel bloated but maybe I should try to decrease the intake. I'll have to see how that goes.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have seriously been lucky to have always had a very flat stomach, but I am trying to get some ab definition and jillian Michael's and yoga are kicking my *kitten* right now. I feel for anyone who has a lot of stomach weight to lose, my problem is my thighs no matter what I eat/don't eat or how much I work out, they do not budge! Everyone has problem areas :/
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has SCREAMED about low carb and the benefits and stomach fat and blah blah blah...and I won't. I am a carb lover and am just trying to lower my intake right now. But I don't know how long I can keep that up because I don't like steamed/grilled veggies (only soft and soggy ones).

It's crazy though how many things have carbs and how much. I like to focus on carbs along with dietary fiber :)

I totally have the same problem. I am actually happy with my weight but the belly... :(

Doing cardio several times per week (actually trying to lessen it to build lean muscle) and strength training with personal trainer 3x per week.
  • Mayreni
    Mayreni Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of good results with INsanity and P90x. I've attempted both those programs but the fitness level required for those is no where near where I'm at. Give those us try. You look amazing already so don't get discouraged. Good Luck!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    build more core muscles....push ups, sit ups, crunches, planks.. do those every day... If you can find a good ab video you should do it... you have to build the muscles around the belly to get it flatter..remember more muscle = less fat
  • ksuther13
    Options
    I feel your pain. My pooch hasn't changed much. I've lost 20 pounds so far but haven't been able to change pant sizes b/c of my pooch. It's driving me crazy and is a little discouraging. But I'm sure if I keep at it, it will eventually get smaller. Good luck.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same problem. It's more common than you think especially if you have kids. I think the only way to get rid of it is by having a tummy tuck...I don't think excersising will do it. That's my plan:)
    I did this. I was down to 115 still with a saggy belly and tons of stretch marks. Had the skin snipped (not a full tummy tuck because my muscle structure underneath was solid. Dr. quote, not mine. :) ). Now I have a large scar but flat belly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!