1.5 pound difference in one day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every night before I go to bed and every morning.

I find it helpful to know how much my weight drops at night, which I use as an indicator as to how well my metabolism is working for me (just an idea, I'm no expert).

The flucutations which occur are normal. As long as you don't let yourself get discouraged you should see it drop right off again very quickly.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    If you are going to weigh yourself daily, be prepared for fluctuations like that, yep it is possible :ohwell:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1 pint of liquid = 1 lb of weight.

I regularly gain a lb at the end of each day, sometimes 2 depending whats in the fridge, i usually manage to shed it before bed though.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to weight yourself every day. Some people disagree. First of all, knowledge is power. It's no different for wrighing oneself. Second, those that say weight goes up and down daily 'cause of water are correct. Yet, they fail to reason that perhaps on your 'weekly' weigh in, that may just be the day your water weight increases. Art least daily weigh-ins, you get to know the trends much better. Nothing else changes buy having more data.

Weight will indeed vary considerably. However, look for trends, not just daily weight loss and gain.

I completely agree. New research has shown (New York Times last week) that weighing oneself daily really does help you keep your weight down. It gives you a daily kick in the pants!
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    unless you ate an additional 5000 calories, I would try not to sweat it. Positioning of yourself on the scale, how level your floor is, how long it takes to digest food (especially late night snacks), of course water, etc etc etc. I am an obsessive weigher too- I blame it on my eating disorder in high school and I'm not sure I will ever change my need to weigh constantly. And not to be gross, but sometimes you just need a good fiber day to get your scale to agree with you again.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yes, hide the scale!
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I can lose 3 lbs in a couple of hours.... before and after a long workout. :-) As everyone here is saying, weight just fluctuates a lot through the day and from day to day.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what it does for me. 9 times out of 10 it's waste or the effects of me eating like a fool over the weekend so it helps me stay in line. I'm notorious for weighing myself multiple times a week, just only first thing in the morning. I only count it once a week though.
  • RickYahr
    RickYahr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post I am having the same issue with my scale. I was sure the darn thing was broken... :)
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've had 4lb swings over a 24 hour period. It happens. I weigh myself every day but only count the same two days out of the week. Many factors can cause your weight to fluctuate. Yes, sodium level can cause it, also, your carb intake can as well. Alcohol can cause water retension and bloat. Your muscles can retain fluid after a workout. There are several different factors than can effect your weight. Hitting the scale is the quick and easy way to see where you are, but, measuring is the best way to evaluate your level of success.
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every single morning and it is SO annoying that every Sunday (which is my weigh in day that I actually record for my ticker) I am the heaviest I have been all week!! I swear this happens every single week. It really helps me to weigh everyday so that I can see the general trend, because I would probably get discouraged if I only weighed once a week.

On the other hand, my mom can NOT handle weighing herself every single day. It really, really, really messes with her head. So, if you find that you feel ok mentally weighing yourself every single day....why not? But personally, I would only record once per week.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    oh ya! i weight few lbs different from day to night! with the food intake during the whole day, water, etc.. depends if you've gone #2 too!! nothing to worry about.. just weight yourself consistantly, ie.. every friday morning.. then should be ok.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    This is why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day, your weigh fluctuates throughout the week.
    In my opinion that's exactly why you SHOULD weigh yourself everyday. Let's say you only weigh yourself once a week and on that day you happen to be up 2 lbs. You'd freak out because you gained 2 lbs in a week. You just need to realize it is going to fluctuate. Plus, if you don't weigh everyday you WILL miss the days when you happen to be down a pound or two. Those days can be encouraging.

Maybe it's a glass half empty or half full type of thing.
  • auddiejo
    Options
    Ooooooh, I am right there with you. At my job I have to mico-manage a bit and it's spilling over into my daily life. It's so hard to just walk past that scale and not know if your doing good or not.
  • Sadiebabcock
    Sadiebabcock Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go weigh crazy also and I fluctuate from morning to night and its usually around 2 to 3 pounds! which I thought it was really crazy but I drink ALOT of water thoughout the day... so Im guessing its water weight!