Running good or bad?

Options

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you!

It only leads to more running and then entering races and generally kicking *kitten*! That and your uterus will fall out.

Don't say you weren't warned...
    Sounds like a plus to me!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well... I have steel rods in my spine and I run.

As long as you go slowly and don't have any physical issues with your knees or hips - you should be fine.

Make sure you are wearing the proper shoes (go to a running shop and be properly fitted) - they are a key component.

Good Luck!
  • SharonofIN
    Options
    I'm joining you in the wanting to run (well jog and brisk walk) a 5K this spring. And if all goes well, I want to sign up for a few throughout the year. My doctor gave me an OK on this, as yours has, so just go for it! Listen to your body. I'm following the Jeff Galloway book Running: Getting Started recommended by my runner son. I have two sons that run, and a daughter on a local high school track team. Watching them enjoy running got me to thinking 'I can do this too!'
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had a disc replaced in my L5-S1 and my neurosurgeon told me running is completely fine as long as I work up to it and listen to my body....BTW, he told me to NEVER go to a chiropractor since I had back surgery. He said they could damage my device, so i listen to his advice....he knows what he's talking about since I've been pain free since the surgery 4 years ago.

Keep it up! I have my first 5K in March :bigsmile:
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor is a runner and loves it.....just sayin
  • igora_soma
    Options
    Keep up with C25K, that is the best program out there to jump start your running. It's what I used and now I'm training for a marathon! Admittedly due to previous injuries I do intervals quite a bit, but there's nothing wrong with that :) If you are worried, then get another opinion. Otherwise listen to your body and gear up for that 5k :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Chiropracters are not an MD. They don't have extensive medical training nor do they understand the in's and out's of the body. I'm not hating on them, but really if your physician is OK with it then go ahead. I would suggest that if you want to start running start slow and use a C25k program as you have selected. Listen to your body and progress at your own pace.

yep. Your doc thinks it's good and the chiro thinks different. Let's see, years of med school, internship, residency, and examines you more in depth than the chiro with his 2 years of study to get a certificate.

Absolutely, listen to your body and your doctor.

Correction and please read below: a chiropractor studies more than two years to get his certificate and license.

Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C. or DC) is an academic degree for chiropractic providers. All degrees in chiropractic are considered to be first professional degrees.[6] This means that the individuals are adequately prepared for a particular profession and have the competency and skill required for that profession.[7] A D.C. is considered a "primary health care" provider in the United States and Canada.[8][9] This implies that a patient does not require a referral to seek treatment from a chiropractor. In this sense they are considered a "portal of entry" to the healthcare system.
    Also known as a "chiropractic doctor", "chiropractor", or "chiropractic physician",[10] a Doctor of Chiropractic degree differs from a Doctor of Medicine degree in scope and practice, and varies greatly in education.[11] In chiropractic, the practitioner health care provider seeks to diagnose, treat, correct, and prevent neurological, skeletal, or soft tissue dysfunction by primarily employing manual and conservative therapies; the most frequent being spinal and other articular adjustments and manipulations.[12]

The United States Department of Education currently states:
    Chiropractic--Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C. or B.Chiro or M.Chiro), a curriculum divided into "straight" or "progressive" chiropractic depending upon the philosophy of the institution, generally requiring 4 academic years of full-time study after 2-4 years or more of study at the associate or bachelor's degree level.[13]
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but running is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

(Other than having my son)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Running is NOT bad for you....

However you should read up on good technique as you can pick up some annoying injuries. If nothing else, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q&feature=related

Also:
    . Good shoes, which you should buy somewhere where they analyse your technique is a must
    . Running on trails (grass / paths instead of road) reduces the impact on your legs
    . Cross training such as swimming and cycling will improve fitness and reduce chance of injury
    Note on this. I went to a place that analyzed my technique and they fitted me for a corrective shoe. I didn't need it. It wasn't a big deal at the time because I was only running 2-3 miles but, when I bought the same shoe again a 6 weeks before a half, it jacked up EVERYTHING. I was in physical therapy for two months and my muscles are still correcting themselves. If you get fitted for shoes and they recommend corrective ones, ask them to have multiple people check just to be sure.
  • Maniac2601
    Options
    Love it!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5K. I did that in 49:49. I was 265 lbs. My knees bothered me and not just at the 5K. I had trouble lowering myself into a chair because they hurt so bad. I started with walking and added slow jogging. My last 5K I ran in 29:48 (first place in my age group.) I'm doing one in April and I'm hoping I can do it in under 25. It is addicting. I'm running my first half marathon on March 25th and my first marathon on May 13. My knees have never been better. Hey, a month ago I was hanging upside down on the monkey bars. :smile: Oh yeah... I'm also 51 years old. You can't tell me running is bad for me.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have started running for the last few months and its the best thing I did I started to try to run and I mean try to but foundI was waling most of it then managed to increase it with the help of the tradmill in the gym and then a few short runs and last week did a 5k parkrun if felt like I was dead at the end but will go again and picking up tips from other runners and advise on here so dont give up try it at a pace you feel happy with and if not try walking and you might work into it that way.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you!

It only leads to more running and then entering races and generally kicking *kitten*! That and your uterus will fall out.

Don't say you weren't warned...

And don't forget the lesser mentioned side effect of a drawer full of t-shirts to commemerate your races!!

Just get out and do what you can. Listen it your body, it knows better than your chiropractor!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Well that's just HORSE *kitten*!!!!! I'm still overweight and I run. My hairdresser said it wasn't good for my uterus. I about keeled over laughing at that one. I kept my mouth shut, but wanted to tell her that my OBGyn was the one who encouraged me to start running and supported me with my first 5k. I started off doing a little running then walking and back and forth back in September. I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving. I was able to run the WHOLE THING too! Work yourself up to it and set reasonable goals. Listen to your body and don't run every day! Best of luck!:happy:
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been getting discouraging comments too about running, from my friend who is a doctor and about 12kg overweight, and from my sister in law...who encouraged all her kids to race for school.
    I said to my sister in law: I have never run, all my life, do I not get to run for a year or so now, in order to get fit, and to have fun? Its not like I have been pounding the pavement for 35 years. And she the said, yeah you are right, just enjoy it.

What I note is that of my 3 friends that I walk with, (including the doctor one) all are overweight and often skip the walking for a while because of feet and knee problems. e.g. swollen knees, plantar fasciitis , tendon problems. Weight related, I suspect. I still think they could run to build up their heart and muscles but for shorter runs. Like, run to the letterbox, something reasonable.

As for me, I did that 5km race walk, jog that you are going to do just a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic fun, the walk intervals allow recovery and your speed builds up. Go for it!!! My first days I 'hated' the effort of running. Now I am in love with the running high.
    The aches and pains from running come and go and are muscle related. I broke all the rules and jogged/walked every day without recovery. To my amazement there were no consequences, just new muscles growing. In the morning I could hardly walk until I warmed up the muscles ( bad girl) but as the day went on I was fine. Next morning, same story but never any worse and eventually no pains at all.
    Running on grass and tarred roads is better than concrete paths. Wear cotton socks and make your next running shoes rewardingly expensive. Don't thud, run quietly and lightly, taking small steps is fine. Listen to music, it keeps you going.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, a role for us all. I am trying to get under 30 for 5km now. Turning 50 next week. Add me as a friend if you want more friends.
  • cinderbay
    cinderbay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well you all have been inspiring! I went for my run tonight! Right after I went to zumba and I feel ENERGIZED!
    All this talk of my uterus falling out has given me more incentive to run; Im not using it anyway and I find it a nuisance! LOL
  • K_M_O_C_K
    K_M_O_C_K Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well you all have been inspiring! I went for my run tonight! Right after I went to zumba and I feel ENERGIZED!
    All this talk of my uterus falling out has given me more incentive to run; Im not using it anyway and I find it a nuisance! LOL

Good for you! And the c25k is for this specific purpose, to slowly build to the place where you can do it. And while I haven't run in a bit, I'm going to start again. I mean come on, now that I know my uterus will fall out I can't wait. That will be a good few pounds lost right there! And I wonder if I try, could I shake my spleen and gall bladder loose too? Every ounce counts.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Well, *kitten*. If running's bad for you and you shouldn't do it, then what exactly SHOULD you do? Honestly? Lifting weights can cause serious injuries, cycling - don't get me started on crashes, swimming you can drown, cardio programs, also injury prone, what's left? The problem with your husband's quack is, if you ruled out workouts with risks of injuries, you wouldn't be doing ANYTHING!

When I reached 250, I'd had enough. Started fitness walking, which turned into running, triathlon (swimming, biking, running), weights, and for kicks and giggles kettle bell. I've had a few injuries. Gotten runner's knee a couple times, pulled my groin once or twice, even went to the ER from a bike accident. I wouldn't trade any of these in for the sedentary life they replaced. I know this may sound crazy, but it's true. I don't enjoy my injuries, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE what my life has become as I've gotten them. Yes, it would definitely be better if I could stay injury free. And I'm trying. Till then, I'm loving my running (and swimming and biking and kettle bell and weights).

Which makes me want to tell your husband's quack to stick it.
  • cinderbay
    cinderbay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OMG this is so funny because several years ago I was in the middle of some serious weight loss. At about 50lbs I had the most severe gall bladder attack. Had to have it removed. When I came home and weighed myself a week later I was down another 10 (mostly from the lack of food for a week. liquid diet) and I was THRILLED about 60lbs! My husband gave me so much crap for that...he said ORGAN REMOVAL is NOT weight loss.
    I say it is! :)