Would you like to know the real causes of depression?

Options
It ain't low carb.

It ain't low fat.

It ain't low protein.

Depression is a mental illness and the "cause" is different for each person. Sometimes depression is situational- a loved one dies, your grief spirals out of control, you can't reign it in, you need help. Sometimes depression is seasonal. Days are shorter. The weather is cold and the sky is grey. Sometimes depression is environmental. Sometimes due to a chemical imbalance in the body/brain. Sometimes it's because your parents 'failed' at 'nurture'.

It doesn't really matter what the causes are... the illness is serious and it's not something to be treated lightly.

It's not something we should be pretending we know the answers to.

We most certainly shouldn't pretend to be experts on it because we've had a few biology or chemistry classes.

But most importantly, it's not something that should ever be trivialized. Ever. Nor should we make it seem like anyone could fix it if they'd just eat more fat/carbs/protein/superspecialmagicpowerherbs.

Replies

• echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    And in case people are wondering, this is in response to this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501862-high-carb-diets-are-linked-to-suicide-and-depression

I just felt I needed a new post to really make my point stand out.

I'm more than just a little upset, seeing as I just got back from visiting a friend in the hospital. She tried to kill herself.

Maybe I should tell her to back off on the carbs. :angry:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Some people can be such self-righteous *kitten*. Hope you friend gets better.
  • Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!

Depression is caused be so many different things that there is not one simple cure. There is no quick fix. I think what every depressed person should have, is someone to talk to. Whatever are the other things that help is different for everyone.

I wish all the best for your friend. Good for you to visit her!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This God damned site.... As soon as Fitocracy creates a food log im outta here!
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I totaly agree with you!

Its not caused by food! NO WAY!

BUT

There are foods than can help, after batteling with it for years and been on loadz of differnt meds, I found changes in my diet can help, junk food definetly puts me on a downer, and high sure and "refined carbs" not complex card send my mood up and down.

Everyone reacts diffrent to food tho, some people are sensitve others not, it has been proven that diets high in omega 3 and vit b12 are less likely to have depression. I dont think people should say eat this you will be depressed, but by the same time cant always rule out food as a trigger.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I totally agree. Sorry about your friend, I hope she finds some peace and receives treatment that helps.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options

But most importantly, it's not something that should ever be trivialized. Ever. Nor should we make it seem like anyone could fix it if they'd just eat more fat/carbs/protein/superspecialmagicpowerherbs.

^^This, completely.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    It ain't low carb.

It ain't low fat.

It ain't low protein.

Depression is a mental illness and the "cause" is different for each person. Sometimes depression is situational- a loved one dies, your grief spirals out of control, you can't reign it in, you need help. Sometimes depression is seasonal. Days are shorter. The weather is cold and the sky is grey. Sometimes depression is environmental. Sometimes due to a chemical imbalance in the body/brain. Sometimes it's because your parents 'failed' at 'nurture'.

It doesn't really matter what the causes are... the illness is serious and it's not something to be treated lightly.

It's not something we should be pretending we know the answers to.

We most certainly shouldn't pretend to be experts on it because we've had a few biology or chemistry classes.

+1
  • skiniminime13
    Options
    I agree with you LabRat. I hope your friend is ok. Diet doesn't make you depressed, but eating better can make you feel better (and I don't mean comfort eating which is a common mistake).. I don't know where you are, or your friend, but here in the UK it can be really hard to get help through your doctor but I recommend that anyone feeling depressed should seek help. If you can't get help from your doctor then an alternative is on-line counselling which is available wherever you are. Mootu has a directory of on-line counsellors and therapists. I know that TrulyConfidential.com provide support for depression. Most important though, anyone depressed needs help and not a lecture!
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    Diet DOES affect your mood due to chemicals! A deficiency of folic acid can lead to feelings of depression! So eat your greens guys!
    /geekout
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    This God damned site.... As soon as Fitocracy creates a food log im outta here!

:laugh:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what type of personailty you are. Most people would consider my life quite tough, both my parents died of cancer and I'm alone dealing with physical and sensory disabilities and housebound most of the time, but I don't feel I like I can't cope or must end my life.

Whereas others on the forums I run for people with Ataxia and other rare neurological conditions are not yet as disabled as myself and often live with family and have more support but seem totally unable to cope emotionally.... so it also must depend on what kind of personality you have.. whether you see the proverbial jug as half empty or half full and how you cope with life throws at you in general.

I have always been independent personality who didn't mind my own company or needing to be continually reassured, but have had to look after myself and younger brother from a young age as our mother died in our teens. It may also be situational, I know many others more disabled than myself who inspire me or are in much worse positions so in comparison I feel lucky and maybe that influences my thinking and judgement of my situation?

I would think your personality type would be more of an influence than what you eat.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I deal with depression on a daily baisis. Notice that I did NOT say I "battle" depression because I dont, I DEAL with it. I know first hand what depression feels like. I know what it is like to almost lose your family because you are depressed and they can not stand being around you any more. I know what it feels like to stare down the barrel of a gun because you don't think you can go on another day. Lucky for me and my family I didn't pull the trigger. (This was 7 years ago, I am very much better now)

I take medication on a daily baisis and I have learned how to cope with life and different things that trigger depression. Some days I do very well and other days I suck at it but all in all, I am a very happy person now and thank God for all of my life's experiences.

Now to say food causes depression......:laugh: :noway: :smokin: :noway: :laugh: ....... thanks for the laugh. I have NOT ONCE, been depressed over something I have eaten!!
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wish it was as simple as food, then I'd be as happy as Larry. At my worst, I had plenty of 'greens' so whichever poster mentioned that, its not always the case. I was eventually told mine was chemical...somethin to do with seratonin (excuse my spelling, I'm not a biologist!) Some people are just more prone to it. That's why they ask if you have a family history.

And I know carbaholics who hate all veg and are perfectly happy...I live with one!
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I deal with depression on a daily baisis. Notice that I did NOT say I "battle" depression because I dont, I DEAL with it. I know first hand what depression feels like. I know what it is like to almost lose your family because you are depressed and they can not stand being around you any more. I know what it feels like to stare down the barrel of a gun because you don't think you can go on another day. Lucky for me and my family I didn't pull the trigger. (This was 7 years ago, I am very much better now)

I take medication on a daily baisis and I have learned how to cope with life and different things that trigger depression. Some days I do very well and other days I suck at it but all in all, I am a very happy person now and thank God for all of my life's experiences.

Now to say food causes depression......:laugh: :noway: :smokin: :noway: :laugh: ....... thanks for the laugh. I have NOT ONCE, been depressed over something I have eaten!!

Well done WingMan, I like how you said that you deal, rather that the words I always get, suffer! :smile: good for you! Its nice to see it more positive.

Many people deal with it every day and diffrent things work for diffrent people, I think the suport of the forum is great, but think we need to all remember were here to suport each other, most of the comment have only said it can be linked, dont think it should be shot down and say, eat carbs, you will be depressed!!
    Junk food and refined carbs and sugar dose trigger me, im sensitve to sugar and my mood goes up and down and I have always been like that, I could not have sweets as a kid at all or I got hyper then started crying! But again were all diffrent.:tongue:

The original post only said linked to depresssion, it did not say will cause! And what is depression, well its a chemical imbalance in the brain, processed food are higher in chemicals, go figure!

This is a sensitve issue, so why not help and suport each other. :heart: :happy: :heart:
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I lost a sister. Another close family member had to be put in the hospital. I've had to worry about a family member who took off and then found out she tried again. I could go on. It does run in my family and I would love to say it was diet related. That would be an easy fix.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do believe that what we eat does have an effect upon our moods. That is not such a leap considering all the chemical and hormone responses to food we have, it's bound to.

BUT, real true bona fide depression has nothing to do with foods consumed.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've said this a million times... if it weren't for exercise, I'd be on some major happy pills.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    While I don't think that the food you eat in any way causes depression, I have found that eating healthily does help with managing the illness long term, and reducing the frequency and severity of episodes, as does regular exercise, and keeping regular sleeping habits.

I wish I could simply change my diet and make it go away though lol...unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than that, and any benefit of eating more healthily is part of the bigger picture of taking good care of yourself for good mental health.