I don't get the American guys

Options

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My experience:

-People who quickly tell you about how "drama free" they are usually end up being the biggest drama-queens. People who are actually drama free don't even say anything about it because it doesn't cross their mind.

RED FLAGS THAT WOMEN SAY:

-I don't normally do this!!! (right before flashing people or making out with another woman, etc) (basically, it means you do this all the time and this is your way of justifying it by saying you don't do it often)

-I hate drama! (self explanatory....you love drama)

-I don't get along with other women, only men! (other girls don't like you because you're either busy trying to steal their boyfriends/husbands or you have a *****y attitude)

That's my experience. I could be wrong.....actually, I know I'm not wrong.

^ Yup! :drinker:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Oh...New Jersey...go figure

Hey...since we're generalizing!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    RangerSteve hit the nail on the head.

Whenever you see someone start a thread complaining about all the drama they find it's because they just finished CAUSING a bunch of drama and now they need to continue it in a public thread.

Don't blame American men. It's probably just you.

^^^^^^^This!
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Well this isn't going to cause drama... :p

But serously, I'm a Brit and I tend to find that some people on here just do not get sarcasm, and that starts a bit of drama. Maybe it's a British thing?
    sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    RangerSteve hit the nail on the head.

Whenever you see someone start a thread complaining about all the drama they find it's because they just finished CAUSING a bunch of drama and now they need to continue it in a public thread.

Don't blame American men. It's probably just you.

^^^^^^^This!

hahaha I agree.
    Why does it have to be about where someone lives there are *kitten* hats all over the world!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are from New Jersey?

The problem is probably too many people watching Jersey Shore!!

Come to Canada! As long as you do not disrupt Hockey Night, there is no drama!

:-)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I agree pretty much with this. I think the British/Irish sense of humour gets lost on many on here. the sarcasm and irony often gets missed entirely and then the drama starts. There are many huge cultural differences and you can usually tell whether a person is American by the way they post. In saying that, i have some very funny switched on American friends on here too.

Instead of talking about sarcasm and irony, why don't you explain it? I keep seeing these words, but have no idea what they mean? I really just want to laugh more. Laughter is the best medicine, they say, and I'd like to not have to get a prescription for it.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    Why do they love making such a big drama out of everything all the time?
    What is it here about drama?

Really? You're going to start a thread about drama and say it's guys that enjoy drama? I think we're all guilty of being dramatic in some aspect of our lives. It's not gender specific or region specific.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've never understood women from Norway. Dang wegians need to trim the bushes if you ask me.
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have moderated myself on these boards so often as I thought, nah, they won't get it and get all offended. I think I actually DID offend a friend of mine by using sarcasm on a blog comment, I think she may have thought I was making fun of her (I really wasn't).

I've learned that - the stereotype of Americans not getting sarcasm and irony (which I used to think was bs) is actually no stereotype at all! More a truism.

It's not that we don't get sarcasm. It's that most do not know how to read it. You can tell when someone is talking to you that it is sarcasm due to the tone and pitch in the voice along with may other factors. The writen word however, you only get what is spelled out for you. I grew up watching old Brit comedies so the dry humor and sarcasm they use is easier for me to pick up on. But like I said, a lot have a hard time with it.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I get a lil annoyed when people post things like this. there are pain in the *kitten* people in every country on every continent, and I think deep down there is a tiny lil drama queen inside all of us.
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

But serously, I'm a Brit and I tend to find that some people on here just do not get sarcasm, and that starts a bit of drama. Maybe it's a British thing?
    sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

Now that is funny! I know a lot of people that spend most of their lives in that chasm....

And Drama is in the eye of the beholder. Some call it drama, I tend to call it entertainment. I manage to not get wrapped up in it, but I do enjoy watching it unravel.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm not an American, Canadian or anything but the same happens here in our case. Its wrong to generalize the population as a whole. That is more on the individual's personality & not where he/she lives.

^ this.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Also...there are different levels of sarcasm. My humor tends to be on the "I think peeing on your lawn is funny" type sarcasm. I have found brits to be a little more dry. Nothing wrong with it. I love brit humor.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Yeah, British humour falls flat so often... but I'd keep my dry sense of humour over in-your-face slapstick every time!

Now I am not an expert at much, and especially not comedy. That said, when I think of dry humor the first thing I think of is a man known well in the UK.

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
    Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

When I think of slapstick, I also think of people well known in the UK.

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Sir Galahad: Is there someone else up there we can talk to?
    French soldier: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

So now which group/person, and which style is known and enjoyed more the world over? Personally I'm torn.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

Yeah, British humour falls flat so often... but I'd keep my dry sense of humour over in-your-face slapstick every time!

Now I am not an expert at much, and especially not comedy. That said, when I think of dry humor the first thing I think of is a man known well in the UK.

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

So now which group/person, and which style is known and enjoyed more the world over? Personally I'm torn.
    Benny Hill anyone?
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Monty Python and the Holy Grail <3
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    <snip>
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail <3
    Much better example.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Can't really judge people of a country by what gets posted on internet forums. :flup:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Oh come now. Americans get sarcasm.

Without a shadow of a doubt.