Confused about calories burned- elliptical vs treadmill

Options
So I generally hate any form of running- mostly becuase I'm just out of shape to the point where I can't run consistantly for more than a couple minutes before I have to slow down to a walk to catch my breath. Usually, because of that, I stick to the elliptical while at the gym and can generally burn around 10 calories / minute so I get to about 550-600 calories for an hour at the gym.

Yesterday I was feeling motivated and stepped on the treadmill - I walked for 10 minutes to warm up and then proceeded to run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes and towards the end of the jog I was going run 2 minutes, walk 1-1.5 minutes. This was at the speed of 3.0 walk and 5.0 jog.

I KNOW it's slow- please don't tell me to run faster. I'm trying to quit smoking so my lungs are exactly in great shape right now anyways.

What I want to know is why I burned less calories/hr while I was jogging (according to the treadmil) than I ever did on the elliptical. My calfs and theigh muscles are so sore right now and I've never been the day after a go on the elliptical.

I'm not sure whether I should be keeping at the treadmill in order to become a better runner and because it may get me in better shape in the long run? (and potentially completing a 5k this summer!) or if I should just stick to the elliptical because I burn more calories.

Replies

• uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this as well...I have the same colundrum...
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You are burning fewer calories on the treadmill because you are going so slow. I'm not telling you to go faster, just answering your question. My husband runs on the treadmill at the gym and burns abour 400 calories in 30 minutes. Your muscles are sore because you are working different muscles than you do on the elliptical. Running burns more calories than any machine and also strengthens your core. I would continue to try and increase your running. Maybe it will give you more motivation to stop smoking as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    that is mostly because the machines are inaccurate, you may have burned more on the treadmill and less on the elliptical they the machine told you.

To get the best estimate of calories burned you would need a HRM.
  • pazzap
    Options
    The machines in the gym only give you an estimate of calories burned based on your age and weight. Some you don't input anything and it gives you a "guestimate" at best.

My advice is to get yourself a HRM for a more reliable reading! Hope that helps!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on the machine to tell you how many calories you have burned. It's an estimation based off your weight and the speed and duration of your workout. It doesn't take into account your gender or heart rate. To get an accurate gauge of the calories you are burning, you need to get a heart rate monitor.
  • Bomber989
    Options
    No expert here but I've been running and using the elliptical as well and I've noticed that during the walking phase of my runs, my heart rate tends to slow down quite fast. However, when I'm on the elliptical, I maintian my heart rate for the entire time I'm working out. This could be a contributing factor as well as you may be raising your heart rate on the elliptical above what you are reaching duriong your runs. I wouldn't give up. The Couch To 5K program is what I used and it was a great way to ease back into running after being off for over 10 years with a back issue. Hang in there and try to gradually increase your run times to give your body a chance to adapt. Good luck!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like everyone said, the machines tend to overestimate your calories burned. Sometimes it says I burn 10 kcal/min., but there's no way I could based on my weight/height/speed.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    At my gym, I actually burn more calories on the treadmill. I also us a heart rate monitor though, which will be more accurate than the equipment. I find it's easier to cheat on the elliptical, you can find a stride and isolate hips etc. on the treadmill, I start at a good walking pace and increas incline every minute until I reach max incline, then each minute decrease until zero and give a little jog. I try to increase speed as I go down. Sometimes I will spend a few minutes at the higher inclines as well. This has helped me lose a bunch of weight and increased my endurance for races. It uses a lot of big muscle groups, so you burn many calories.
  • CarolynKlum
    Options
    Running to me is a double edge sword...It's the best calorie burner, but it's so hard on the body. The elliptical burns slightly less calories because you aren't so self-propelled, but at least it doesn't pound on your knees and joints so much.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I've experienced.

I'm no runner either. And I smoke too. So I know how hard it is to get moving and not get winded and exhausted.

I lost a bunch of weight swimming to start. Then I moved on to the elliptical. I couldn't do much at first but I got better and better at it. The elliptical is very "forgiving" for a new runnner. It supports you. Eventually I could do 45 minutes on the elliptical at a time.

Then I moved to the treadmill. It's harder. I sweat more. I feel it more. I know I'm burning more calories. Whatever the machine or MFP says I can personally just feel the difference. It's harder to run. You don't have the machine cushioning you and helping your legs move like the elliptical does.

So while I may personally feel that running on the treadmill is superior to using the elliptical the most important thing to know is DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! Don't go crazy. If you like the elliptical better stick with it until you are a stronger runner. You'll get there.

And what's even more important is that you should be incredibly proud of what you're accomplishing!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stick mostly to the elliptical because of the calorie-burn. I also hate running. But I have had much success in the past with weight loss using mostly an elliptical, too. I think the most important thing is what you don't hate doing-- what's going to keep you coming back.

Conventional wisdom is the calorie-burn indicated on a given [properly maintained] cardio machine is accurate within 10%. For this reason, I always subtract 10% -- I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM or just going by what the each of the machines say is your calorie burn? I have found that each machine is different when compared to a HRM which is a more accurate reading for each individual person than the generic reading on the machines. I get shin splints if I work out solely on the treadmill because of the hard impact so I start on the elliptical the switch to the treadmill trying to get the best of both.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I can tell you in the beginning I could hardly walk a block now I go out and jog 3- 4 miles DONT GIVE UP keep working the treadmill and if you like the elliptical as well on differentdays for different muscle groups the advice to get a HRM is good as well as that is your heart and your calorie burn not the machines estimate
    I love Boston my daughter was in school thereand we go often still and there is alot of great jogging in that city so keep it up
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Also: good for you for trying to quit smoking!
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    I have this same problem! I started out practically crawling on the treadmill but now I can do a full blown 30 min run.

Like everyone said, most machines aren't accurate so a HRM is best (I haven't even gotten one yet through myself...). The reason you're so sore is because you're working new muscles. On the elliptical we rely on momentum and the machine stabilizes us to keep going but with the treadmill it is 100% us.

I could barely walk the day after my first run...haha. Just keep at it, no matter how slow you go!
  • Rozlynmac
    Options

What I want to know is why I burned less calories/hr while I was jogging (according to the treadmil) than I ever did on the elliptical. My calfs and theigh muscles are so sore right now and I've never been the day after a go on the elliptical.

If all you're interested in is Cals burned, then the elleptical will do a better job than the treadmill - based on what you can achieve right now.

But, if you persevere with the running (and walk/run is a programme tons of people follow and works) you will get faster and be able to go further in the same time. This will cause you to burn more calories through the running as your heart rate goes up etc.

Getting outside and running will force you to slow down again, as will running on sand/grass once you've got used to roads. But again, as you get used to it time/distance means you burn more.

One way to push the calories a little and prepare for the road a bit better is to make sure you've got a gradient set on the treadmill. It won't be a dramatic difference, but it will increase the workout and burn a bit more.

But like most others are saying - an HRM is the only way to be truly sure of your figures.
  • gagey1
    Options
    HI I like to go back and forth between the two but what I had noticed is that I burn off more calories walking on tredmill at an incline of 15.0 at a speed between 3.0-3.5. I have noticed that I am getting toned more and my stemina since I am walking uphill is much better. As far as the smoking I hear you girl I was a pack a day girl but last March took Chantix for 1.5 weeks and have not touched a smoke since. You can do it
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    HRM are still very inaccurate, as they do not take into account what muscle groups are being used.
  • falen1
    Options
    Keep at it! I know it's hard right now, but it will progressively get easier.
    I'm on week 5 of the couch to 5k, since my goal is to participate in the Run For Your Lives 5k in June, and if you had told me a few weeks ago that today i'd run almost 20 minutes, i would've laughed in your face.
    I'm not a smoker, but i definitely know how it is to have crap lung capacity in the beginning. But that will get easier, fast.
    But, like also mentioned, do what works for you. If you can keep at the treadmill (because you want to run a 5k) then keep at it. But if you find out that you hate it so much that it's actually interferring with you getting a work out in, then stick with the elliptical.
    I use both, at least i did until our elliptical died.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is more efficint at burning calories i think.
    Because while running you constantly give yourself rest as you run(when you step) and it is very easy to adapt to running(especialy if you are light weight cardio bunny)

Elipptical with resistance set is different thing. You continue your motion. And if you use hands to help your legs, its even better, since now u are using all extremities.

its also about METs

1 MET = your normal consumption of air and burning of calories
    10 MET = 10x air consumption, and 10x calories burned

4-6 = weight loss
    10+ = cardio.

Hope that helps.