I don't get the American guys

Options

Replies

• recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't going to cause drama... :p

But serously, I'm a Brit and I tend to find that some people on here just do not get sarcasm, and that starts a bit of drama. Maybe it's a British thing?

Yeah, British humour falls flat so often... but I'd keep my dry sense of humour over in-your-face slapstick every time!

Now I am not an expert at much, and especially not comedy. That said, when I think of dry humor the first thing I think of is a man known well in the UK.

Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
    Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

When I think of slapstick, I also think of people well known in the UK.

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Sir Galahad: Is there someone else up there we can talk to?
    French soldier: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

So now which group/person, and which style is known and enjoyed more the world over? Personally I'm torn.
    Benny Hill anyone?

How pathetic, but exactly what I was referring to with the "not an expert" bit. I had to look up benny Hill's nationality.
    -Hangs head in shame-
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Why do they love making such a big drama out of everything all the time?
    What is it here about drama?

Hehe, irony for $100, Alex.

HA!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If you think American men are drama queens, you clearly haven't met many American women - we have drama down to an art form.

Men are usually only dramatic babies when they are sick - women, well, we use any excuse we can get (and I include myself in that).

I can't speak for anyone that's not American, but I am guessing this is a universal and not a national thing.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I so agree! There are some big cultural differences apparent here.

Being American, this is a tad offensive. I would say liking or not liking drama is more of a personality trait, whether or not the nature of their responses are due to cultural differences on interpretation. Everyone that I'm friends with has nothing to do with drama themselves (especially the guys). It's childish and not worth the time. I would advise you to meet more Americans.

Also, I wouldn't stereotype culture based on internet message boards. I'm quite serious, too. Seeing how quickly any post blows up into some stupid big deal, I would say that people who post regularly on message boards and continue to participate in the "conversation" once it's gone way past relevant will tend to be more into drama than those who never post, or who leave the conversation at a certain point.

Edit: I also agree with the point that it's hard to interpret text only, when sarcasm and irony are often based on body language or voice/sound fluctuations or tone.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My experience:

-People who quickly tell you about how "drama free" they are usually end up being the biggest drama-queens. People who are actually drama free don't even say anything about it because it doesn't cross their mind.

RED FLAGS THAT WOMEN SAY:

-I don't normally do this!!! (right before flashing people or making out with another woman, etc) (basically, it means you do this all the time and this is your way of justifying it by saying you don't do it often)

-I hate drama! (self explanatory....you love drama)

-I don't get along with other women, only men! (other girls don't like you because you're either busy trying to steal their boyfriends/husbands or you have a *****y attitude)

That's my experience. I could be wrong.....actually, I know I'm not wrong.

I agree.. but THAT ONE time, I really meant it when I said "I never do this...". I swear!!!

ETA: I love me some American boys!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    RangerSteve hit the nail on the head.

Whenever you see someone start a thread complaining about all the drama they find it's because they just finished CAUSING a bunch of drama and now they need to continue it in a public thread.

Don't blame American men. It's probably just you.

^^^^^^^This!

hahaha I agree.
    Why does it have to be about where someone lives there are *kitten* hats all over the world!

exactly.
  • taglientep
    taglientep Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My experience:

-People who quickly tell you about how "drama free" they are usually end up being the biggest drama-queens. People who are actually drama free don't even say anything about it because it doesn't cross their mind.

-I don't normally do this!!! (right before flashing people or making out with another woman, etc) (basically, it means you do this all the time and this is your way of justifying it by saying you don't do it often)

-I don't get along with other women, only men! (other girls don't like you because you're either busy trying to steal their boyfriends/husbands or you have a *****y attitude)

TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the men in your life are reacting, as any self-respecting man would, to your offensive verbal attacks?
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I haven't met that many drama filled American guys, it's usually the ones from other countries that complain all the damn time.

NO ONE CARES THAT AMERICANS CAN'T PRONOUNCE WINCHESTER LIKE WHINSESTER WHEN THERE IS NO H OR SES IN THE FREAKING NAME TO BEGIN WITH!
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    If you think American men are drama queens, you clearly haven't met many American women - we have drama down to an art form.

Men are usually only dramatic babies when they are sick - women, well, we use any excuse we can get (and I include myself in that).

I can't speak for anyone that's not American, but I am guessing this is a universal and not a national thing.

Perfectly said. When I'm sick i want to be left alone right up until the point when I need something - which is about every 20 minutes.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My experience:

Oh No!! Thats me!! I better reevaluate quickly I must have a shtty attitude cuz I dont steal others men. Thanks Ranger Steve!!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

1. True
    2. I can't remember ever saying that because I'm usually the one starting trouble and then sneaking out the back down as the place burns down in flames
    3. I really DON'T get along with other females, only males. Why? Cause I was teased a lot in middle school and high school by females. I never really had friends and the only ones that hung out with me were those trying to dig up dirt to use later. I hang out with guys because they talk about things I like. Mudding, paint ball, video games, travel, camping...Most chicks would rather get their nails done and MAN-HATE. Pfff that *kitten*'s for the birds.

So yeah, you ARE wrong about me :laugh:
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Proof that irony and sarcasm exists in America:

http://www.theonion.com/
  • Bridget0927
    Options

1. True
    2. I can't remember ever saying that because I'm usually the one starting trouble and then sneaking out the back down as the place burns down in flames
    3. I really DON'T get along with other females, only males. Why? Cause I was teased a lot in middle school and high school by females. I never really had friends and the only ones that hung out with me were those trying to dig up dirt to use later. I hang out with guys because they talk about things I like. Mudding, paint ball, video games, travel, camping...Most chicks would rather get their nails done and MAN-HATE. Pfff that *kitten*'s for the birds.

So yeah, you ARE wrong about me :laugh:

Yea Gurl !!! I have girl friends but they are ones like me who arent all mega girlie and annoying. So generally speaking I dont get along with girls as well as guys buut I still have friends that are girls
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    Also can someone please tell me why people get so upset and worked up with posts???
    I dont get it....
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

Perfectly said. When I'm sick i want to be left alone right up until the point when I need something - which is about every 20 minutes.
    Exactly. :)
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, didn't want to hurt anyone. It's dramatic guys in general. Just here I get to see it more often.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    as an american guy, I would love to be caught up in the drama,but im just too lazy
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    I'm sorry, didn't want to hurt anyone. It's dramatic guys in general. Just here I get to see it more often.

Dont even worry about it people on here are being Dramatic!! hehehe
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Dont even worry about it people on here are being Dramatic!! hehehe
    Yeah I know... I just feel like the rules here are different than what I'm used to.