The reason you fail at losing weight

Options

Replies

• qotu79
    qotu79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is very inspirational and I thank you for taking the time to write this.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, :smile: very well said. Are you sure you're not a nutrionalist :wink:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Where is the "Like" button when you need it? :wink:

Very well said and I agree 100%! :happy:
  • Lindahopkinson
    Lindahopkinson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, it gives me the encouragement to keep trying when I am feeling so discouraged at the moment. What you say makes total sense.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Very well put. Thanks! :)
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You know why I fail? Because I don't do what I know needs to be done. It's about commitment and mental fortitude and nothing else.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Options
    I thank you for this. I knew all this in my head, but have been discouraged the last few days, because the first 16 pounds came off rather quickly (I lost 4 before joining MFP), and since then it has been S-L-O-W. I know "slow and steady wins the race" and all that jazz, and I know that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I am changing my entire life, so I shouldn't expect it all to happen overnight. I do know that I can do more physically that I could not do a month ago. I love that part. I may still be fat, but I am much more fit than I have ever been, and can't wait to get even more fit!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have been forced to look at the cardiovascular and endurance benefits instead of the weight loss because I have not lost a single pound since I started this journey. It would be easy to say **** it and go eat a dozen donuts but I am doing this for me to feel better physically and the mental part of it followed suit. But I love your encouraging words and they are not said in a condescending way. :happy:
  • delvir
    delvir Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome..............:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never failed at losing weight. After a year or two I usually slack off on exercise and gain some back, but once I decide to lose again I've never had a problem doing it.

But I agree with what you are saying about exercise. Dieting is not a problem because I don't eat a lot of unhealthy food anyway. I do like to eat though, so if I don't exercise regularly, that's when I gain. When I decide to lose weight I make very few changes to my diet. I just get off my lazy duff and start moving.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    APPLAUD
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All very true. I have lost weight very slowly, averaging 3- 4 pounds a month, but I have gone down 4 sizes in clothing, and lost inches by working out. My body feels different. I am more muscular than I have ever been. I can lift more weight and do more physically than ever before. And at 3-4 pounds a month, I have still lost 26 pounds which is way better than where I started and a huge difference for someone who is only 5'[1". At first I was a little frustrated at how slow I was losing weight but I stuck with it and am so much better off for it. That is the key to be in it for the long haul.
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts! :)
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    APPLAUD

thankyou-thank-you-thanks-ty-smiley-emoticon-000280-large.gif
  • charneus
    Options
    You know why I fail? Because I don't do what I know needs to be done. It's about commitment and mental fortitude and nothing else.

This statement right here is the underlying message within my post. It IS about commitment and mental fortitude. I merely explained the reasons WHY people are failing in their commitment, mentally.

You need a commitment to stick with something that may appear to be failing because you're looking at the wrong side of things. You need the mental fortitude to say to yourself, "Okay, I may have gained a pound today, but I'm feeling so much better than I did last week."

Without those components, without understanding the reasons behind things, it's easy for people to get discouraged, and it's frustrating. Some people have it easy. Others don't. We all grow (or shrink, as the case may be) in our own ways.

So again, my support to everyone here trying to lose weight, whether it's 1 lb or 500 lbs. Don't get discouraged, don't give up hope. You're going to make it. You have me and the rest of the MFP community behind you!
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Plus, you have to think, if you are constantly losing weight that fast and aren't under the close supervision of a medical professional, you can be damaging yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. As much as I hate the saying, I didn't put it all on in a month, it will take longer than a month to take it back off.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Well written I love it!! I agree!
  • charneus
    Options
    CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, :smile: very well said. Are you sure you're not a nutrionalist :wink:

Not a nutrionalist, but working on my way to getting my nurse practitioner license in holistic medicine. :P I know it's not the same thing, but health care is something I've longed to do for so long... :P
  • xlpavenged7x
    Options
    That was an amazing post my friend