Options
    Proof that irony and sarcasm exists in America:

http://www.theonion.com/

<3
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't going to cause drama... :p

But serously, I'm a Brit and I tend to find that some people on here just do not get sarcasm, and that starts a bit of drama. Maybe it's a British thing?
    sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

awesome. :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't going to cause drama... :p

But serously, I'm a Brit and I tend to find that some people on here just do not get sarcasm, and that starts a bit of drama. Maybe it's a British thing?

I have found this as well

I'm so glad it's not just me... maybe we should run classes for them?

Absolutely. I am always being accused of being rude, when I am the most easygoing and not remotely rude person.
  • fteale
    Options
    I so agree! There are some big cultural differences apparent here.

Being American, this is a tad offensive. I would say liking or not liking drama is more of a personality trait, whether or not the nature of their responses are due to cultural differences on interpretation. Everyone that I'm friends with has nothing to do with drama themselves (especially the guys). It's childish and not worth the time. I would advise you to meet more Americans.

Also, I wouldn't stereotype culture based on internet message boards. I'm quite serious, too. Seeing how quickly any post blows up into some stupid big deal, I would say that people who post regularly on message boards and continue to participate in the "conversation" once it's gone way past relevant will tend to be more into drama than those who never post, or who leave the conversation at a certain point.

Edit: I also agree with the point that it's hard to interpret text only, when sarcasm and irony are often based on body language or voice/sound fluctuations or tone.

Way to prove my point!

It is undeniable that there ARE big cultural differences between the UK and US. That is what I was talking about, but you have put your own inference into my very simple statement, and taken offence from it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Being American, this is a tad offensive. I would say liking or not liking drama is more of a personality trait, whether or not the nature of their responses are due to cultural differences on interpretation. Everyone that I'm friends with has nothing to do with drama themselves (especially the guys). It's childish and not worth the time. I would advise you to meet more Americans.

Also, I wouldn't stereotype culture based on internet message boards. I'm quite serious, too. Seeing how quickly any post blows up into some stupid big deal, I would say that people who post regularly on message boards and continue to participate in the "conversation" once it's gone way past relevant will tend to be more into drama than those who never post, or who leave the conversation at a certain point.

Edit: I also agree with the point that it's hard to interpret text only, when sarcasm and irony are often based on body language or voice/sound fluctuations or tone.

Way to prove my point!

It is undeniable that there ARE big cultural differences between the UK and US. That is what I was talking about, but you have put your own inference into my very simple statement, and taken offence from it.
    I'm offended at your English way of spelling offense. *humph!* :wink:
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    TERRORIST!!!
  • fteale
    Options

Way to prove my point!

I'm offended at your English way of spelling offense. *humph!* :wink:

Don't get me started on the way you guys spell coloUr.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I've dated two American guys. Didn't end too well with either. British guys are not any better though! no offence boys ;)
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've dated two American guys. Didn't end too well with either. British guys are not any better though! no offence boys ;)

try dating just one, less drama that way
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Haha. One at a time, I should reiterate!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    My experience:

-People who quickly tell you about how "drama free" they are usually end up being the biggest drama-queens. People who are actually drama free don't even say anything about it because it doesn't cross their mind.

RED FLAGS THAT WOMEN SAY:

-I don't normally do this!!! (right before flashing people or making out with another woman, etc) (basically, it means you do this all the time and this is your way of justifying it by saying you don't do it often)

-I hate drama! (self explanatory....you love drama)

-I don't get along with other women, only men! (other girls don't like you because you're either busy trying to steal their boyfriends/husbands or you have a *****y attitude)

That's my experience. I could be wrong.....actually, I know I'm not wrong.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKt5owySkLKdGBcRe-japHwHTPnygJJQCg3lgtK45APlR9kbZsnw