Thoughts On Planet Fitness?

Options
I have contemplated joining Planet Fitness for a couple months now, but have heard both bad and good things about them. Do you think it's worth it to join or should I spend the extra $10 to $20 to join a normal gym. For anyone who has gone to Planet Fitness is it worth extra $10 for the Black Card?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My friend started there recently and she loves it. She says it really is judgement-free so it's great if you're a beginner. If I was to join a gym that's where I'd go.

If you're more advanced you may want a more "advanced" gym, though.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    the planet fitness i go to is open 24hrs during weekdays which i like because i go after work(1am), its always clean, everything is maintained and its pretty cheap at $10 and no contract. for the $20 black card you can bring someone for free and you can use thier tanning booths
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    $99 for the year can't be beat. Has all the equipment I would ever need, spacious and clean. I do miss having classes, a pool and racquetball courts but that was costing me close to $100/month. Now I have all the sneakers I could ever want.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness! If you're looking for a basic gym with no extras, like a pool or classes, it's a great choice!
  • 1996gtstang
    Options
    and they are so judgement free they will walk you out the back door if you carry a plastic jug and lift things up and put them down lol
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Love going to Planet Fitness...was just there less than 2 hours ago. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!
  • awells76
    awells76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the it probably depends on the PF you are using. There are 2 within a few blocks of each other in my neighborhood one is great and the other is so so. I am so happy to belong here and upgraded to the black card so that I could use the gym when I am visiting family, traveling,etc.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at PF...and I love it. Its 24 hours so it allows me to head out after work (except Fridays, they close at 9pm and open back up Sat 7am). I pay the 20 for the black card. I bring my best friend sometimes to workout, and she's always free. Then when I travel to other cities with PFs, I get in for free of course. (And I mean, not to mention you get the massage chair and tanning bed included for free...and like...30% off the cooler.)

I'm the kind of person that really, doesn't want all the other crap. I don't care about the pool or sauna rooms...I don't have kids, so I don't need to pay for a daycare that I don't use...I don't take classes...so PF is good for me. They have Cardio (Treadmill, Elliptical, Arc Trainer, Recumbent and Stationary Bikes ...dunno if I'm spelling all those correctly), then they have free weights, and weight machines, and last but not least they have a circuit.

I've met two new friends there last night, so I'm excited!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I used Planet fitness for a while and I liked it. It was cheap and the best part was no contract. The gym was close by. I joined 24 hour fitness when we moved from that area as I travel a lot and wanted to use the gym in other parts of the country. If your focus is to use only machines and not classes like Zumba, Yoga etc., Planet fitness works out well.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I've heard nothing but good things about it. It bugs me that the nearest one to me is 10 miles away - just too far to travel, so I go to the Y instead. But trust me, $35/month vs $10 - if PF was closer I'd be there in a heartbeat.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    the planet fitness i go to is open 24hrs during weekdays which i like because i go after work(1am), its always clean, everything is maintained and its pretty cheap at $10 and no contract. for the $20 black card you can bring someone for free and you can use thier tanning booths

I love it! Who would have thought to lift things and put them down at a gym....wish my gym had a personal valet!
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    I love bringing friends with the black card. It has just what I need and really is "the judgement free zone". I feel so confident there!
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I am a member, and I would say that the $20 a month that I pay is the best $20 I spend every month. It is what it is. You go to work out and feel better...and that is what happens. I recommend it to everyone, and I recommend it to you to. I like the black membership because I can workout ant any PF nationwide and I can bring a guest everyday if I want, for free! I love that there are trainers everywhere trying to guilt trip you into having private training.

If all else fails, go for a trial period and see how you like it.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Well I have not joined one but am seriously thinking about it even though I have stuff at home. The fee is reasonable and they responded back to my email in a timely manner more than I can say for other places. They offer FREE trainers should you have questions etc. That in itself is worth its weight in gold to me.
  • cadpolk2
    Options
    I love, love, love it! I have NEVER been a gym person. Our son who is a Marine joined first where he was stationed. Then they built one a couple miles from us. He talked his dad into joining and then they double teamed me...lol. It was the best decision I made on my weight loss journey, I've been a member about 2 mo. I like it because we can go together (which we do twice a week) or separately depending on our schedules. I go to the gym about 3x's a wk and do 30 min on the treadmill and then some strength training. Good Luck :)
  • KLEALEE71
    KLEALEE71 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined Planet Fitness on Thursday. It is a great place to go, where you don't have to worry about all the "muscle heads'. They don't offer classes, but they do have all kinds of machines that you can do at your own pace. I was a member there a few years ago (wished I stuck with it). It is open all hours, so you can go at your convenience. If anything, there is no contract right now if your do the 10 month plan. My opinion, It would be worth it to check it out.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out up until you are in shape, then be ridiculed for it, go for it! Don't forget to eat the free tootsie rolls and go to pizza night, because those are staples of a good diet. (no sarcasm)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out up until you are in shape, then be ridiculed for it, go for it! Don't forget to eat the free tootsie rolls and go to pizza night, because those are staples of a good diet. (no sarcasm)

I'm with you on the Pizza & Panera bread...WTF!!! Now I do have ONE grape candy as a treat when I leave each day...Hell, I've earned it! But I see PLENTY of in shape lifters in there who don't have the need to grunt like a prison victim:laugh:
  • 1996gtstang
    Options
    i take a tootsie roll after every workout(which i dont log in the diary!)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you physically exert yourself...really push yourself....you're going to let out some sort of noise. Its involuntary, and in many cases is good for you. Telling someone not to make a noise while lifting weights is like telling someone not to moan during sex.

But its not about grunting. Its about how Plant Fitness portrays physically fit people as idiots. Watch any of their commercials and they tout muscular individuals as "lunks" and essentially makes fun of them....which they claim not to be judgemental.