Difference in how you are treated

Do you ever find that there is a general difference in how people treat you from your highest weight to your lowest (such as job interviews, or in a store)? I don't know if it is in my head but I really feel that people have been nicer and wanting to chat to me now then at my highest, 40 lbs ago.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Apparently I've been hit on twice in the past week. Or so my friends who observed told me later. I was completely oblivious at the time (and still skeptical). Guys (strangers) do seem to want to talk to me more than in the past.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 749 Member
    people dont take fat people seriously most of the time... they either view fat people as being the funny guys/girls or just as being losers.... except the majority of adults are now fat hahaha so its really becoming a minority view... now how do fat people view other fat people?
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    I have definitely noticed the same thing. These days total strangers seem to strike up conversations much more often. I've often thought... should this bother me that they didn't do this when I was overweight...but yes. I have noticed too.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    It might be that you are more confident and outgoing now so others are responding to that.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 749 Member
    Nah - people really respect you more if you're not obese... the way the same people treated me before and after I lost 30lbs was night and day...
    It might be that you are more confident and outgoing now so others are responding to that.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Definitely treated differently in stores.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    I've never really been overweight but I have noticed that when I am feeling better about myself and exuding more confidence then people definitely respond more positively to me.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    I am and always have been a pretty confident "fat girl", and rarely have any problem with people taking me seriously. It helps if you're fit enough to stand up straight and walk with confidence. Only a few idiots seem to have a problem with me. And I get hit on... I've even had to turn down a few offers!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    It is a shame that society judges heavier people as lazy or less attractive. But it does.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    I honestly think the only difference in the way I am treated comes from my confidence level. The better I look the more confident I am and people respond to that.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    There is a huge difference ... A top exec talks to me now who never did before, the door is held for me & clerks in clothing stores are ready & willing to help even when I don't want them neat me! Is it the self-esteem or is it the new look?
  • I notice a definite difference in how I'm treated, even in my office. I get picked for teams and projects now that I was totally overlooked for before and I've noticed a huge difference in the way I'm talked to. Now, the thing that seems to prove to me that it is solely my weight is that I work in a call center and customers still treat me exactly the same. The downside is that now I have to deal with a lot of unwanted male attention as well. Which is both unwelcome and bothersome.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Yup there is a difference. I think the above poster is right as well though. The way the world views us has changed, but the way we view ourselves and how we perceive other peoples behavior towards us is changing/changed.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I think there is a difference because of confidence. I also think that when people see you change from "fat/large to thin/healthy/skinny/whatever", it looks like you are taking on more accountability, control of life, and just care more. My brother is in the marine corps & his superiors used to get on them about looking presentable & he told me how one time a superior said that civilians are sloppy and have no pride in how they look. I think this is true sometimes. I think that's where the confidence comes into play. You get healthier, become more confident and therefore make an effort to look better and take pride in yourself. Just my two cents. :)
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    I really think is is a little bit of both. If you feel better you are more confident and therefore people do talk to you more but lets face it beutiful people have it easier in a social setting. Had a girl tell me once she wished she wasn't as pretty as she is b/c people won't leave her alone... and knowing her as I do she wasn't being conceded.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 310 Member
    I have noticed a huge difference in how I am treated. Sometimes it can be really uncomfortable, sometimes it's really flattering :blushing:. Girls are not always so nice about it though, meaning the ones that have not started there own weight loss journey's. Mostly I get asked "what is the magic pill you are taking?". Ummm it's called diet and exercise, oh ya and MFP...:laugh:. Overall it's an amazzzzing feeling and I will never go back!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I feel like I am treated better now than when I was big but I also have more confidence and feel better about myself so maybe its just me giving off a better presentation and others are responding accordingly.
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Most definately!!! However, it could also be that your viewpoint of the world and people also changed due to an increase in confidence.

When I was 255, I was angry and I made sure my face let the world know... no one opened doors for me, was nice to me, etc..

When I lost all of that weight and was 166, I had voluntarily putting air in my tires for me when I pulled up to do it myself, doors were opened for me, people smiled and said hi, etc..

I'm currently 212 and still have a good portion of the confidence I gained once I lost the weight the first time and I notice that some of the behavior has gone again, but for the most part people are nice, and will smile, say hi and still open doors for me.

I think it's partly due to weight and partly due to how you carry yourself and your overall confidence.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Ive noticed a difference in how people that I know react to me. People in general are nicer, and flirt more. The people that I know that are heavier seem not to talk to me as much anymore or have a different attitude towards me.
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Most definately!!! However, it could also be that your viewpoint of the world and people also changed due to an increase in confidence.

^^this is a big part of it...how you carry yourself. If you glow with confidence, people will pick that up and interact with you differently than if you carry around a negative aura.

Case in point... there are a lot of heavy set people who are well respected .... oprah?