The reason you fail at losing weight

Options

Replies

• Jendulin
    Options
    I would like to add a few things if you don't mind. Everyone should keep in mind that a heavier person's metabolism is going to run at a high rate because they are heavier. What happens when they loose a bunch of weight right away. The metabolism slows and they plateau. Age does have a lot to do with it and if you are male or female as well. Also it takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound so when you cut your calories you need to burn 3500 calories a week to loose 1 pound a week. So if you are not burning at least roughly 300 calories a day besides cutting them down you will not see the recommended 1 pound per week weight loss that the site recommends you loose. Last but not least an oldie but goodie. Muscle weighs more than fat. As you exercise you gain muscle and may not see weight loss due to this as well. Fat generally burns about 1 calorie (not sure of the exact time) every so often where as muscle will burn approxamitely 7 calories every so often.
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You must have known that many of us were struggling and needed this today! Thank you so much for the help and inspiration!!
  • gail1101
    gail1101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well said...a great reminder for all of us out there that think "dieting" is a quick fix. It took me years to be where I am and I know that, first and foremost, I need to be healthy. That means that if i gain muscle, I may not lose as much "weight" as I thought I should, but I will be much healthier than I am now. It is going to be a journey!

PS: You should be a personal trainer!
  • byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff
  • nicolasara
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    Very well said. You know your stuff. Care to come speak at our tops meeting. Tops Take off lbs sensibly would be right up your alley.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, and I totally agree with your follow-up comment about commitment. To succeed at this we have to WANT to succeed, and be willing to stick with it, even when sometimes it feels like a hopeless cause.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump for awesome reading later. Thank you!!!
  • kalpol88
    Options
    I've just joined and literally this was the third post or something i clicked on, but it really has inspired me to go about this whole thing the right way. Cheers :)
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I want to print this out and put it on my bathroom mirror!
  • charneus
    Options
    To everyone who has said, "Thank you", you're quite welcome. To everyone who's said, "You've inspired/motivated me", I'm extremely happy that I have done so.

When I started writing this post, I had NO idea whatsoever the explosion it would bring. I wrote it because I care about people, and I don't like to see people fail at something and not understand why. I was in that position myself not that long ago, and it took me analyzing everything and educating myself to learn what was wrong. I feel that it's partly my duty to pass my experience and knowledge on to others who may be sitting at home, thinking about quitting or giving up because they haven't lost an ounce in days.

My message to those about to give up? Please don't. In the short time I've been here, I've learned that MFP is totally about support, and if someone gives up, that's one less person to support another, and you can start a chain reaction. It may seem trivial, the role you play in supporting a friend, but realize that sometimes, it's just that one person cheering them on that makes all the difference in their world.

As such, this is me, cheering you on, whether you're just starting out, or at the end of your cycle and have hit a plateau. I've got your back, 100%, because I know you can do this. I know WE can do this.
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • CrochetBug65
    Options
    Thank you so much. I got depressed from meds & took it out on my plan of eating. You have a real 'gift of gab'. Keep up the great work. You studying to be a doctor?

Judy AKA CrochetBug65
  • charneus
    Options
    Thank you so much. I got depressed from meds & took it out on my plan of eating. You have a real 'gift of gab'. Keep up the great work. You studying to be a doctor?

Judy AKA CrochetBug65

Depression has a habit of doing that, unfortunately, but you'll pull through! Thanks for the compliment on the gift of gab! And to think, I didn't have to even kiss the Blarney Stone!

I'm studying to become a nurse practitioner, which, for all intents and purposes, means I'll be a doctor.
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    Bump :)
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    What if you're not losing weight OR inches...then what?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    To everyone who has said, "Thank you", you're quite welcome. To everyone who's said, "You've inspired/motivated me", I'm extremely happy that I have done so.

When I started writing this post, I had NO idea whatsoever the explosion it would bring. I wrote it because I care about people, and I don't like to see people fail at something and not understand why. I was in that position myself not that long ago, and it took me analyzing everything and educating myself to learn what was wrong. I feel that it's partly my duty to pass my experience and knowledge on to others who may be sitting at home, thinking about quitting or giving up because they haven't lost an ounce in days.

My message to those about to give up? Please don't. In the short time I've been here, I've learned that MFP is totally about support, and if someone gives up, that's one less person to support another, and you can start a chain reaction. It may seem trivial, the role you play in supporting a friend, but realize that sometimes, it's just that one person cheering them on that makes all the difference in their world.

As such, this is me, cheering you on, whether you're just starting out, or at the end of your cycle and have hit a plateau. I've got your back, 100%, because I know you can do this. I know WE can do this.

You are a wise man. I like the way you think.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for this post!!!! It really is an eye opener! I, for one, have had the problem of wanting immediate weight loss. I have to remember: slow & steady wins the race!
  • charneus
    Options
    What if you're not losing weight OR inches...then what?

Are you feeling better physically? Are you able to do things you haven't been able to do before, such as walk around the block without getting winded, or even jogging?

If you are, then you're still becoming physically healthy. Society plays a mean trick on us and makes us think we all have to be super thin to actually be healthy and to look good. I bring back my football statement - people who are 300+ lbs play football for three hours without killing themselves, and why? They may look fat, but they are physically healthy.

You may not be losing weight or inches, but if you're exercising, then you're toning muscles. You're building up your heart, you're strengthening your body. So, don't despair if you can't get those last 6 lbs off. They are most often the hardest to lose, but I believe that's merely because the body wants to convert that to muscle instead of fat. :)

And I pointed out in one thread... It may be disgusting, but getting a colonic is not only healthy for your body (it gets rid of excess waste you don't need!) but can often drop 5-10 lbs from your body. Might talk to your doctor about that.

Keep up the great work!
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - a great reminder.