Weighing everyday or once a week?

Options
I usually weigh myself everyday and record the lowest weight of the week, do you think it's better to see progress if you only weigh in once a week? If I do that though I feel like I might miss out on a lower weigh in but I know that the number is not everything. Will it make me less paranoid if I just weigh in once? Opinions please!!!

Replies

• BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but only log it on a Saturday. Yes, I think it makes me paranoid about weight loss but I don't care.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how the number on the scale affects you. I weigh myself twice a day....every morning when I first get up and at night when I get dressed for bed. The night number fluctuates a lot by what I ate/drank later in the day so that one I don't pay much attention too. The morning number motivates me to either do better that day or gives me a good feeling and makes me want to keep up the good work. I record the lowest weight but if a higher weight sticks around for a week I'll up it on here too. It keeps me honest and helps me stay focused. And once a week I record that weeks weight on a group thread I'm part of (for the Spike diet) so I can track my weekly progress on the eating plan I am now following.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do the same - weigh daily, but log once a week. And I always have to log on the same day (a Monday), which is frustrating when I see a good number like today and know it might not be the same by then. :tongue:
  • vicktery
    Options
    I usually weigh myself on Friday and then again the following Monday, so I can see how weekend outings to restaurants and other places affects me. It has been a great tool for me!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing is more accurate for tracking purposes.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. Here's why. I found that if I weigh in daily, it's too much to be able to figure things out. Your weight flucuates so much from day to day. But, week to week gives you good data points. I make it a point to weigh in on Wednesday. That's a good middle of the week time for me. If I see it went up, I can make adjustments over the next week to bring it down. But, if I went up from yesterday, I dont' really know what that means. At all.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week on Saturday mornings. Everyone is different but for me I'd rather not see the fluctuations because it will inevitably go up at least one day due to all the different factors. I find that discouraging. Seeing things (almost) always go down over the course of the week is better for my outlook and motivation.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I do it strictly to see how i'm progressing throughout the week and whether or not i'm staying on track. However, I only log my weigh-in once a week (Mondays).
  • kaydeexoxo
    kaydeexoxo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday only because my wii fit weighs me everytime i use it. personally i don't like the results of everyday so i'm going to start only logging it once a week. it really depends on preference i would imagine
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    The first of every month. That's it :)
  • Heather20646
    Options
    Mine fluctuates a lot. I might step on the scale every day but I don't stress over it. I weigh in once/week.
  • Llilia17
    Llilia17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and record my lowest weight for the previous week. My weight fluctuates so much from day to day it's really the only clear way I can see progress. It works for me. I know your not supposed to do it this way but I do because it helps me to stay on track and feel good about myself.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. If I don't weigh everyday in the morning, I feel like I'm missing out on a lower weight. Once a week is not always the best, for me at least, because you could end up weighing on a day just out curiosity and could be more than you think. I weigh myself everyday, so if I'm gaining more, then I can fix it faster. I weigh every morning because that's your true weight.
  • soriadarkstar
    Options
    I've been weighing every day but I think I'm going to go to the once a week-- daily changes can go up and down depending on what you're doing, and I usually find myself rather discouraged if I see it go up.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have started weighing myself every day due to my weight jumpin up and down. I weigh every day, but use Monday's weight for "official weigh-in". And, I'm not sure how useful only logging your lowest weight is going to be...just saying. :smile:
  • Brandie13
    Brandie13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the same time everyday (morning)-- sometimes for curiousity sake I will weigh at night too! I only record my weigh-ins once a week though. I love seeing if my daily choices have any effect on the daily weigh-in and ultimately set goals throughout the week for my end of week weigh-in...keeps me focused and motivated!!!
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I force myself to weigh in once a week. I know that I could very easily become obsessed if I weighed daily and could start teetering on the unhealthy in terms of my eating. Very hard sometimes to stop myself though!
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and record my lowest weight for the previous week. My weight fluctuates so much from day to day it's really the only clear way I can see progress. It works for me. I know your not supposed to do it this way but I do because it helps me to stay on track and feel good about myself.

I don't care if it's "supposed " to be done this way - I say whatever works, works!!
    And Me too. I've tried weighing 1x a week - but I get super frustrated if that number goes up. So if I weigh myself every day, it allows me to see my weight fluctuate day to day, and I get less disheartened when I see it go up! I also can see more of a pattern in my 'reports' where it's constantly over time going down, but oscillates a little on the way.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday mornings before my workout. If all you do is focus on a number you will drive yourself crazy. It's about a lifestyle change not a number. If you eat healthy and exercise the numbers will come. Don't put the addtional pressure on yourself, not needed. Good luck.