Weighing everyday or once a week?

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I weigh once a week, on Thursdays. I don't see the point in weighing every morning and personally I find I work harder this way. It motivates me enough to try harder and do more for that next week. If I weighed every day I think the motivation would be gone.
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week. Same day, same time.

Weighing everyday for is me is emotional suicide.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am SA(scale addicted) and am fighting it. I now weigh in once a week with a WL Challenge group at my gym.

I am hoping it will make me less crazed about everything I eat & drink.
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week on Saturday mornings. Everyone is different but for me I'd rather not see the fluctuations because it will inevitably go up at least one day due to all the different factors. I find that discouraging. Seeing things (almost) always go down over the course of the week is better for my outlook and motivation.

I totally agree with this!! I can't tell the difference from water weight, etc. I'm way more motivated throughout the week looking forward to 'weigh-in day'
  • Walkin4Lyfe
    Walkin4Lyfe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't weight myself once a week or everyday. I weight in the first of each month(the weight I record) and I weigh in mid month as well just to make sure I'm on track. It works for me...
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale periodically during the week, however only use Monday mornings as my weigh in weight. It keeps consistency if I keep the weigh in on the same day each week. My goal is to lose 1 pound per week.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The scientific research here is unambiguous: people who weigh daily have better track records for losing and keeping weight off than people who weigh less often.

HOWEVER, some people are too emotionally invested in the number and find that daily weighing is too emotionally stressful. Weight loss is not strictly linear...in other words, you won't see a daily decrease no matter how "perfect" your behavior.

Here's my personal advice.
    (1) Weigh daily if you can (I do) but weight less often if it's too stressful to weigh daily.
    (2) Keep track of your average weekly weight. The change in this value is more meaningful than any daily up or down.
    (3) Designate one day a week as "weigh-in day" even if you weigh daily. Use this day to take measurements, estimate body fat, enter weight in MFP, update your HRM (if you use one), etc.
    (4) DON'T weigh more than once a day, and first thing in the morning is best. Your weight will ALWAYS be up after your first morning food or beverage and will not bottom out again until the next morning. (I wrote a lengthy blog on this subject back in October at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CaptainMFP/view/omg-how-did-i-gain-5-2-lbs-in-6-hours-156596 which includes a graph of a single 24-hour weighing cycle for myself.)

Good luck!
    Cap
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Gives me something to work towards and makes me that much more excited about Fridays!!:flowerforyou:
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Weight loss is not strictly linear...in other words, you won't see a daily decrease no matter how "perfect" your behavior.

Absolutely! I "log" every Friday morning at 05:15am. However, I hop on the scale every morning just to have a basic idea of where I'm at and where I'm headed. I just recently figured out where my calories needed to be set at in order to lose. Soooooo, my morning scale interludes are a lot more fun now. :)
  • Angie_Van
    Angie_Van Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weigh everyday. It helps you to understand how your food intake causes weight fluctuations.

This is what I do as well. I am learning what foods are helping with my weight loss and which ones are slowing it down.
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day (usually in the mornings before I get into the shower when I'm COMPLETELY naked except for my glasses because without them, I can't see the number LOL)
    I only log my weight if I've lost 5 or more pounds. Also, I wait until the 5 pounds lost stick around for a couple of days because it might just be water weight that I've lost.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on my doctor's scale.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple of times a week just to use as a gauge for my progress. If i went to gym and next morning didn't lose weight, it lets me know if I didn't push myself the price I will pay. But it can be demotivating to weigh often.I use my Sunday weight as my record. If I lost, I treat myself to a good favorite breakfast. I f not I analyze my week and see where I can make improvements. I guess it all depends on your preference. Good luck and don't get discouraged!!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log mondays weight only. I think it is important to go with a set day or schedule rather than just choosing the lowest weight, but if you notice that wednesdays for instance are your litest days than choose that as your weigh in day.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The scientific research here is unambiguous: people who weigh daily have better track records for losing and keeping weight off than people who weigh less often.

HOWEVER, some people are too emotionally invested in the number and find that daily weighing is too emotionally stressful. Weight loss is not strictly linear...in other words, you won't see a daily decrease no matter how "perfect" your behavior.

Here's my personal advice.
    (1) Weigh daily if you can (I do) but weight less often if it's too stressful to weigh daily.
    (2) Keep track of your average weekly weight. The change in this value is more meaningful than any daily up or down.
    (3) Designate one day a week as "weigh-in day" even if you weigh daily. Use this day to take measurements, estimate body fat, enter weight in MFP, update your HRM (if you use one), etc.
    (4) DON'T weigh more than once a day, and first thing in the morning is best. Your weight will ALWAYS be up after your first morning food or beverage and will not bottom out again until the next morning. (I wrote a lengthy blog on this subject back in October at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CaptainMFP/view/omg-how-did-i-gain-5-2-lbs-in-6-hours-156596 which includes a graph of a single 24-hour weighing cycle for myself.)

Good luck!
    Cap

This is good advice. The important thing is not to be upset if the weight goes up on a day where you stuck to your diet. I take this a step farther. I average all of my weights like Cap recommends, but I don't pick a day as my "official" weight. Instead, I pick a day and use the average from that day. It's a lot more stable, and tends to trend downward, even while my weight is wildly fluctuating. I put my actual weights on here, which kind of freaks some of my friends out, because it does fluctuate by several pounds a day sometimes.
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh every few days out of curiousity but I pay more attention to the monthly measurements. There have been months that I lost almost no weight but my measurements improved noticeably This means I am shedding fat and probably gaining some muscle.

The scale is not always your friend as it doesn't tell the whole story. The tape measure is a better indicator :-)
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    First, I have the same pink glitter picture on my ticker too! Lol! :flowerforyou:

I weigh myself every day, usually a few times throughout the day. The reason I do is because my weight fluctuates very quickly and often, and so I like to see what affects it, like if I eat a meal high in sodium I want to know how high that makes my water weight go up. Also, I gain weight really fast so if I notice it going up and staying there, I try and make sure to watch my diet better and exercise more. If I only weighed in once a week, I would probably get discouraged if all of a sudden I was 5lbs higher.

I don't think weighing in every day is good for everyone, maybe especially at the beginning bc it gets you too obsessed with "The Number," but as long as you don't go too overboard I think it's good insight into understanding your body. If my weight was more stable, I would probably only weigh once a week.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once, on Sunday mornings, and record it. If I'm having a particularly bad week, I might wait until Monday but I'll still on weigh myself a week.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERY moring after going to the bathroom. It makes it consistent. Every day is like a new gift...I don't know whether I'm getting a lump of coal or a gift, but it's always something. Having a BAD day motivates me to do better TOday! This way I can also recognize trends and patterns in my weekly habits (workdays vs. weekends) and determine where I have to make changes.
    13598365.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but I don't get neurotic and freak out over every little fluctuation. I usually only record my weight once a week, typically on Mondays.