Protein

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Moderate, high quality protein is just fine for muscle building.

What do you consider adequate in terms of g/lb or g/lb lean?
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    All these replies and none that actually asked what type of weight loss or physical fitness program you are on to help determine how much protein you need.

It is true that amino acids is important to help repair muscle. If you want to build muscle then an excess of protein and muscle resistance is required.

If you are interested in losing fat (weight), and not muscle, then you still might be okay with excess protein. We would ask where you get your protein sources (animal meat or non-animal sources). For instance, protein from beans is kinder on your system but protein, in my opinion, after a certain limit can be harmful. Again, this is if you do not practice muscle resistance.

Finally, what is your health condition? Do you have diabetes? Do you have health diseases that has already damaged your kidneys? If so, then you ought to maintain your protein limits and by all means, ask a professional what your specific needs are.

When you see the body builders here give their reason why excess protein is good, you have to ask if you are on the same program they are on and decide if that is the program you want to follow.

I eat protein in mostly beans and starches. Since last April, I had two fingers worth of turkey (it was New Years) and I am not protein deficient. However, I am not trying to build muscle, only to maintain it.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i try and hit 300 gram of protein a day, but im a body builder and need high levels of protein, any protein that is not used by your body will just be passed, no need to worry

This is false. Extra protein your body doesn't use gets converted to glucose, then glycogen, then glycerol, then stored as fat. It does not just get passed.

Truth.

300g per day is a ridiculous amount and especially if 2/3 of it is mostly ingested via protein shakes. On most protein jars, it will say not to exceed x amount of doses per day. On mine it says 5 servings in a 24-hour period. Most serving sizes = 1 scoop, which is usually ~ 20g. So 5 servings x 20g = 100g of protein. I don't know what your maximum dose amount is on your protein of choice, but I' m sure that you are exceeding it with your 200g/day intake.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Moderate, high quality protein is just fine for muscle building.

What do you consider adequate in terms of g/lb or g/lb lean?

Depends on goals. For a sedentary person maintaining weight, roughly 0.5 g/lb of total body weight is all that's required. For someone that's more active and trying to maintain lean mass during weight loss or muscle building I personally go with 1 g/lb of lean body mass. I think more than that generally restricts carbs too far for it be effective for muscle and tissue repair, it just goes to energy burning. Now, if you prefer protein and fat to carbs for energy burning, nothing wrong with that, falls under personal preference, but it's not required.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Depends on goals. For a sedentary person maintaining weight, roughly 0.5 g/lb of total body weight is all that's required. For someone that's more active and trying to maintain lean mass during weight loss or muscle building I personally go with 1 g/lb of lean body mass.
    [/quote]

going of what you have said there, im 241lb 22% body fat i dont think i dont think hitting 300g is a problem ; )
  • bobbin1
    Options
    I had a problem with my protein as well so went out and bought two different protein shakes. One is 4ever fit mango and the other is bodylogix chocolate with added fiber (130 calories). The mango one is to die for (100.calories)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am strugglling with always going over my daily protein limits. I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

Many a time I am over my protein limit OP, it is low on MFP anyway. Unless you have kidney problems, I would not worry about being over protein totals.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Depends on goals. For a sedentary person maintaining weight, roughly 0.5 g/lb of total body weight is all that's required. For someone that's more active and trying to maintain lean mass during weight loss or muscle building I personally go with 1 g/lb of lean body mass.
    [/quote]

going of what you have said there, im 241lb 22% body fat i dont think i dont think hitting 300g is a problem ; )
    [/quote]I can pound food when I want to, but I can't imagine hitting 300! Do you eat every couple hours? Do you cook ahead?
  • SittingNow
    SittingNow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I may be a newbie with the calculator on here, but it is common knowledge that body builders require a much higher level of amino acid (derived from protein) to rebuild muscle. Ashy76 is taking the exact amount he probably should if he's hoping to build his muscles larger, which I imagine he is if he's a 'proper' body builder. I assume, he's probably taking this protein (whey isolate?) at a steady pace throughout the day (especially post-lifting).

This isn't 'bro-science', it's body-builder actual science.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

[/quote]I can pound food when I want to, but I can't imagine hitting 300! Do you eat every couple hours? Do you cook ahead?
    [/quote]
    all my meals are planned a week in advance, during the week i make them up the day before, i eat 6 meals a day, when i cant eat i use a protein shake
    i train twice aday and 5 times a week, i dont hit 300 every day but never less than 250
  • tigersword
    Options

Based on 1 gram per pound of lbm, your goal would be 187. 300 is fine if you prefer, but probably way more than you need.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    i try and hit 300 gram of protein a day, but im a body builder and need high levels of protein, any protein that is not used by your body will just be passed, no need to worry

lol

protein doesnt build muscle..calories and exercise does. this is called 'bro-science'

Of course protein builds muscle. I honestly cannot believe someone could be as daft as to post this. In fact, without protein it is impossible to build muscle since we are a human body made of amino acids - protein. We are amino acid based life forms. Our organs, finger nails, hair - everything, is made of protein, amino acids.

It is the only nutrient that can build muscle. Without the carbs and fats available in smaller amounts, you will struggle to put on mass and also for the ATP process to aid protein synthesis into muscle but don't be silly - this ain't bro science, its scientific fact.

Either that or the 600g+ of protein I usually take in is a waste.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Based on 1 gram per pound of lbm, your goal would be 187. 300 is fine if you prefer, but probably way more than you need.

A body builder needs much more than 1g/lb of lbm. Arguably 1.5-2g/lb of body weight.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am over on protein every day. I think the protein settings on MFP are too low. Protein is good!
  • tigersword
    Options

lol

protein doesnt build muscle..calories and exercise does. this is called 'bro-science'

Of course protein builds muscle. I honestly cannot believe someone could be as daft as to post this. In fact, without protein it is impossible to build muscle since we are a human body made of amino acids - protein. We are amino acid based life forms. Our organs, finger nails, hair - everything, is made of protein, amino acids.

It is the only nutrient that can build muscle. Without the carbs and fats available in smaller amounts, you will struggle to put on mass and also for the ATP process to aid protein synthesis into muscle but don't be silly - this ain't bro science, its scientific fact.

Either that or the 600g+ of protein I usually take in is a waste.

Mostly a waste, I would guess. It's also scientific fact that your body manufactures the majority of the protein it needs. I have yet to find real scientific support that any body building regimen requires a ridiculous level of protein to achieve, while I have been on body building websites that have given out the 1 gram per pound of lean body mass recommendation for mass gain. I don't know of anybody anywhere actually recommending any amount of protein anywhere near 600 grams, or even half that. Most scientists and doctors would consider that toxic levels of intake, honestly, unless you weigh 450 pounds or so.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Mostly a waste, I would guess. It's also scientific fact that your body manufactures the majority of the protein it needs. I have yet to find real scientific support that any body building regimen requires a ridiculous level of protein to achieve, while I have been on body building websites that have given out the 1 gram per pound of lean body mass recommendation for mass gain. I don't know of anybody anywhere actually recommending any amount of protein anywhere near 600 grams, or even half that. Most scientists and doctors would consider that toxic levels of intake, honestly, unless you weigh 450 pounds or so.

Clearly I'm wasting it all.

You are talking trash. Look up essential amino acids. You cannot make muscle without digesting muscle. You're body may recycle its own but that will only allow you to stay at the existing weight you are and eventually smaller.

I know some of the best body building minds in the UK, I work for one of the biggest body building brands in the world and yet you've read a website that tells you 1g per lb is enough. I coach dozens of people to contest shape. I know my beans.

PLEASE also provide me with ONE item of scientific proof about toxic levels of protein? (see mine below).

Other than you're gut instinct , can you tell me where you gained the information other than reading forums and websites? Because it is on the internet, does not make it true.
    Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

AND ALSO

They concluded that a protective effect of high-casein diet against CsA-induced proximal tubular damage was observed in Sprague–Dawley rats. Lacroix et al. studied the effects of a very-high-protein diet in rats over a period of 6 months. Forty eight Wistar rats received either a normal-protein diet (14% protein) or a very-high-protein diet (50% protein). No nephrocalcinosis, no area of collagenous sclerosis, and no hypercellularity were detectable. Also, endothelial and mesangial cells were normal and so were surrounding tubules.

Pons M, Plante I, LeBrun M et al. Protein-rich diet attenuates cyclosporin A-induced renal tubular damage in rats. J Renal Nutr 2003; 13: 84–92
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A body builder needs much more than 1g/lb of lbm. Arguably 1.5-2g/lb of body weight.

1g/lb LBM is what is typically recommended as a minimum for non drug using bodybuilders. Keep in mind, that's a minimum. If someone is using dat-dere celltech then I could see a much higher dosage.

Lyle McDonald typically recommends 1.5g/lb lean mass.
  • tigersword
    Options
    What about essential amino acids do I need to look up? The fact that there are 9 of them, and that your body can manufacture the other 13 amino acids needed for muscle building and tissue repair without any protein consumption at all?

As for too much being detrimental, here's a few things to read.

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15532008.

http://journals.humankinetics.com/ijsnem-back-issues/IJSNEMVolume16Issue2April/AReviewofIssuesofDietaryProteinIntakeinHumans

As for where I got my numbers from, these articles, plus Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald's recommendations.
    Lyle McDonald typically recommends 1.5g/lb lean mass.
    Which is why I made the comment of 600 grams of protein being fine if you weigh 450 pounds to the guy who said he eats 600g.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wrong interpretation. Protein do build muscles. That's why they are called building blocks amino acids. Yes it needs conditions like exercise and generally speaking physical activity but this one of its role.

lol

• choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    the macro goals on mfp are low on protein. if you've ever heard of "the zone" it's goals are 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% pro. it will help you moderate your carbs and even out your blood sugar levels :) from you home page click goal tab>scroll down and click change goals> choose custom options> then change your macro goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein>click save changes. this will assist you in choosing foods throughout the day to help meet those goals. be sure to also include your fiber intake on your daily goals. it is important to hit your fiber goal too, as it will help you feel full throughout the day and keep your digestive sys from being sluggish due to higher protein intake :)
    best wishes to you on your journey!