Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Butter or olive oil spread
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nutella is full of hydrogenated fat the same as margarine is.

Butter all the way!!! (Or use EVOO in place of when you can.)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I use butter. I have been expermenting a little with butterbuds in recipes like Pasta Roni and Knorr, but on things like bread and corn etc....it's butter all the way.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I use "I can't believe it's not butter" spray. It has 0 calories for-cryin-out-loud! I force ignorance about how processed and wrong it is. Just can't beat the ZERO calories. Oh well, at least I'm not shooting heroin.
  • schavarry
    Options
    If you're just looking for something to go on toast - have you tried peanut butter? It's about the same number of calories but you've got the extra bonus of protein! Just a thought!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I use Olivina non hydrogenated margarine. I also use philly light cream cheese on my toast sometimes too.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way. I buy organic butter or I buy Earth Balance Buttery spread (vegan). I like my foods natural, plus I much prefer the taste of butter to margarine.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Butter mostly, but on toast I have marmalade! (lemon raspberry marmalade from the farmer's market)
  • crymzen
    crymzen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel that butter is more natural. My theory is that natural fats in real butter are easier to burn of the the hydrogenated oils found in margarine or butter substitutes. But as other have already said the trick is to learn to use butter sparingly. I don't measure all my foods but I do measure butter.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in Nutrition, and just to clear the air about the butter/margarine debate....butter is better. It's better for you because it's natural, whereas margarine goes through several chemical processes, and is literally a couple of processes away from actually being considered plastic..
  • LishaCole
    Options
    I would use butter... in moderation.

However, my personal toast favourite is coconut oil! ..onomnomnom. And its good for you, bonus!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Absolutely butter. The only exception I make is the spray butter for my air popped popcorn. And I try not to think about what's in it.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My kids and I sometimes make butter by shaking some cream in a tupperware. I couldn't make margarine at home without a mad scientist kit.
  • renesuny
    renesuny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been told butter but keep it light.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Canola oil! It's healthier than both but still a whole food.
  • jhyan
    jhyan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in Nutrition, and just to clear the air about the butter/margarine debate....butter is better. It's better for you because it's natural, whereas margarine goes through several chemical processes, and is literally a couple of processes away from actually being considered plastic..

Don't perpetuate that BS about margarine and plastic. By all means, eat butter because if your going to spend calories on fat, it should be tasty fat... but the whole 'margarine is one molecule away from plastic' or 'margarine is a couple processes away from plastic' is horsecrap. The tiniest chemical difference can make a world of difference... For example...

Water is one single Oxygen atom away from Hydrogen Peroxide... but I'm not going to stop drinking water.

Maybe learn a little chemistry along with your nutrition education before giving advice.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Butter. It's real. It's natural. Right now, just to cut calories, I'm using I can't believe it's not butter light. (I can't "afford" 100 cals for 1 tbsp butter right now). Once I get closer to my goal and have more calories, I'll switch to real butter. I miss it!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use butter, I use margarine, I use the zero calorie butter spray too. It depends on what you are making. On my toast, I use NOTHING. Mashed potatoes, butter and margarine (not good for you but a must have occasionally), baking, butter. Rice krispie treats, margarine. Baked potato, margarine. Sautee, butter. Eggs-- bacon grease. Just enough to keep them from sticking.

Nothing beats flavor and you have to enjoy your food. If you have a preference, account for it. Just enjoy life and everything in moderation.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Never eat margarine or canola oil.....

Those who make them and advertise how healthy they are need to be sent to prison for giving people so many health problems