Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am giving up all alcohol. And I love me some wine.

But I think it would be a good thing to abstain from for a while, reflect on the meaning of sacrifice.

I will appreciate it more when I am done.

AND

I will probably also have whiter teeth and weigh less.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up the scale. I've become way too focused on it, and weighing myself daily hasn't gotten me anywhere. I tried to weigh myself on a weekly basis, but having the scale in sight just makes me jump on it every day. I want to break the habit completely, since it's really not about the numbers anyway. I'll determine my progress through my measurements and the way my clothes fit.

I am doing this too- or trying to, anyway. Giving up weighing myself. Was originally planning to only weigh in every other Sunday, but it's become more frequent- not daily, because my home scale battery is out anyway, but more often than I'd like. So I plan to focus on how I feel and how clothes fit, etc for a while but I'm not sure if I want to stick to the whole eight weeks, which seems excessive and lack of progress may make me feel unmotivated, or just keep myself to a strict every-two-weeks rule during Lent to get back to the original plan/habit. I'm sure it would be cool to see just how much I've lost over the course of eight weeks but at the same time... not so much.
  • digirl11
    Options
    Mfp has already helped me to give up my unhealthy eating habits so I decided to build a healthy habit instead. So for Lent, I am doing a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day. I was only going to the gym about once every 10 days, and now I'be been there 4 nights in a row. If I hadn't made it for lent, I'm sure I would have come up with plenty of excuses to stay home!
  • mrosem87
    Options
    Giving up cheese and ice cream.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Cheese!
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gave up candy, brownies, cakes, donuts and cookies:( It's been so hard already! Good thing I can eat some on Sundays!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Liquor. And Facebook.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    soft drink and red rooster
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I forgot that today was the start of it.... I may give up pistachios.... because they are too high in calories, but I absolutely love them.... I say that as I have about 30 empty shells in front of me. Might add pecans and walnuts too!

Our local Kroger has 100 cal pkg of pistachios. I was thinking about getting ONE of those for a snack this week. If I bought more than that would eat them!
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Women

that made me laugh, but I think it's a bad thing to give up. not all of us are bad ya know?:smile:

Made me laugh too.

Me too! Don't give up women there are so e good ones out there. Promise
  • RatRace675
    RatRace675 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've given up eating between 8.30pm and 8.30am. I'm a bugger for late night snacks/meals, so this should help me shed a few pounds quicker and fasting is rather apt for Lent.
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For lent I gave up friends that don't support my weight loss journey. That should take off 100s of pounds of dead weight I have been carrying around with me! I'm 100% serious anyone want to give me a high five or an atta girl?
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Women

And this will help your weight loss?
  • albrown43
    Options
    Liquor. And Facebook.
    No doubt, this is my New FB.....much more nutritional with NO Drama!!!!
  • Siberiantigris
    Options
    I'm also not Catholic but observe the Lenten season. This year I've decided to give up meat except for fish so I'll be a pescatarian until Easter (and maybe afterwards--we'll see). I already don't eat pork or beef so really it was just poultry that I had to abstain from eating. So far so good. I've gotten some excellent advice from my fellow vegetarian and pescatarian MFP users on recipe sites like skinnytaste.com and hungrygirl.com. I'm excited about trying some of the recipes. Best wishes on your commitments.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm not Catholic...but I'm going to try to give up my negative thoughts. They lead to self-doubt and depression and that derails me in a lot of ways, not just my fat loss efforts...

Love this...what a great perspective!
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would say something like coffee - but by the end of lent, I may be in prison for killing someone. So, no, I don't think I'll be giving up anything for lent lol.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    fast food and baked goods! D:
    i also gave up pop, but i did that permanently, not just for Lent.
    i thought Lent would be a good start though!
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Me and my 5 year old daughter are both giving up crisps. She is an example to me, as she is determined to stick with it!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    So, originally I was going to give up chocolate candy (Reese's eggs...ugh) and french fries....I have done each of these before, so I thought both would be a challenge...yeah, well...I gave up giving up french fries...but I am still good in the chocolate candy dept. Not doing so hot with the Lent thing this year...already forgot about not eating meat on Friday & had 1/2 a burger (and french fries) for lunch.