Options

Replies

• betholiver
    Options
    I count only when I go to gym
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I only count Cardio and running outside using my Garmin HRM.
    I was counting Weight Lifting but my Fitbit gives me enough adjustment I don't really worry too much about it since Strength Training is really a fuzzy area calorie burn wise.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I count all my workouts and my walks. (i walk as fast as i can to get the best workout in and it is really hilly by me, and i go about 3 or more miles).

I don't count cleaning or anything else.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I do count my entire morning walks, I count 1/2 to 3/4 of my weight lifting because of the rests between sets and sometimes I get interrupted, also keep in mind the cals burned are only an estimate and I would rather under estimate than over.
    As for cleaning and stuff unless I am moving heavy boxes I don't count it at all. I used to when I was much bigger and didn't have the energy for a regular workout, but now that I am in much better shape I just can't justify it even if it is extra and out of the ordinary.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I only count my gym workouts and bike riding. I think it is silly to count house cleaning and stuff. I don't feel much of a burn when I clean my house lol!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I count exercise as exercise. If i walk to the store, i dont count it. Its a walk to the store not exercise. If i wake up in the morning to take a walk, then i will count it.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Exercise is exercise...whether it's daily routine or not! Your body naturally burns a certain number of calories, no matter what you're doing. If you are breaking a sweat, and exerting yourself, then it is considered exercise.
    I personally calculate ALL my exercise....even housecleaning. I know that I am using MORE energy when I'm walking, cleaning, biking...even if it's something I do every day.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I count the cardio, whether jazzercise or walking or elliptical, (stuff I wear my HRM for). I also count Tai Chi, but I only give myself 15 calories for it as a placeholder so i can track how often I practice.
    I don't count weight training, walks at lunch, or swimming.
    I don't count house cleaning or walking at work.

Why on earth wouldn't you count swimming? I know when I swim for an hour or more...I'm exhausted afterwards!! Swimming IS exercise. ....you SHOULD count it!!
    Also.....your body actually burns calories more from weight training than cardio. You will keep burning calories 2-3 hours AFTER you are done with your workout. You only burn for an hour after cardio. So you SHOULD be counting weights.
    Anything that you are putting more energy into to accomplish (weights/walks/swimming/etc) is considered exercise!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont count any...as its already accounted for when you choose your activity level in calculating your EER
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I count every time I do a workout DVD. Or when I walk for more than 20 minutes
  • AutumnsPassage
    AutumnsPassage Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Exercise is exercise...whether it's daily routine or not! Your body naturally burns a certain number of calories, no matter what you're doing. If you are breaking a sweat, and exerting yourself, then it is considered exercise.
    I personally calculate ALL my exercise....even housecleaning. I know that I am using MORE energy when I'm walking, cleaning, biking...even if it's something I do every day.

My thoughts exactly!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I only count my actual workouts. I sometimes go out on weekends and walk for hours or swim or of course spend a whole day cleaning but I dont record any of that. Only when I go to the gym or do my treadmill or a workout video is it counted.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I count my walk to and from work. Yes I did it before but I'm still exercising. (it's about 15/20 minutes)

I don't count walking around the shops, it's too stop start. I don't count cleaning, I don't count little things.

I also don't count weight training but I do eat more if I'm hungry. I also need to start having that damn protein shake.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My routine (dogwalking, minor cleaning, walking - less than 1k at a time) should be reflected in the activity level i chose, so I only log extra stuff, shoveling snow, stripping floors, taking a 5k hike to a different store. And of course actual exercise I set outto accomplish..
    It's a fine line, and everyone has to decide for themselves what is routine, activity level, etc...
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I drop my son off to school everyday and I run there and back and that is my time at the "GYM" I don't have a gym membership and that's how I incorporate exercise into my life. If I walk I don't count it because I figure it's part of my daily routine. That might not make sense but that's just me.
    If I go for a stroll with my family, I don't count that as exercise but if I clean the house for 5hrs straight and exhausted after that then I count some of it because it's out of my daily routine (although I do clean everyday but not for 5hrs)

Anything that makes me sweat HEAPS or something that is really out of my routine I count.
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I count my daily walk as its 5k. I count my circuit training and dvd workouts.
    I don't count walking the kids to and from school (15min 2x a day). I don't count any housework or walking around the shops
  • Rukiya2012
    Rukiya2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ^^GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE^^
    After taking a few minutes to read through the list of exercises, I realized that nothing fit me. As a person experiencing significant ambulatory challenges I cannot do the normal types of exercises. However that does not mean I don't get exercise! Therefore I decided to add a couple of my own descriptions for exercising. The exact calories burnt may not be totally accurate but the concept of diversity exercise as well as giving myself credit for doing exercise are very important.

I have added wheelchair exercise...basic rolling around as a strength exercise. Also I added walking with a walker as a cardiovascular exercise.

Resource for wheelchair exercise: http://www.thewheelchairsite.com/sitesearch.aspx?keywords=exercising&submit.x=12&submit.y=12 This is the beginning of a revolution. :wink:
  • caroliiine86
    Options
    i count only when i go to the gym, or when i play kinect game
  • PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you put on your normal daily activity , if you put sedentary then it would count as work out. But if you put active or lightly active then it would be just part of your normal daily activity.

This is an interesting thread. I agree on the above quote with Mina. But - I say hey, it really doesn't matter. For instance, let's say you count housework, etc. but are not losing weight. Then it would be obvious that you'd want to stop counting that (since it isn't helping) and begin counting the gym, or a brisk walk, or doing Wii, or whatever, LOL.

It's not in the "counting", it's in the results. :smile:

Just my humble opinion,
    Patti
  • wjpeterson71
    Options
    I like to see what I actually burn in calories a day so I even add my housework in there. I am one to lose stamina when trying to get healthy and anything that I can physically see helps motivate me.
    Wendy