The future of our nation...........

Options

Replies

• dictations
    Options
    I think SOME of the things they teach in school are completely useless. I know algebra is supposed to sharpen your analyzing/cognitive thinking skills, but then again I'm a student and shoving formulas and long numbers down our throats doesn't help. I have a very deep hatred of math, I think most people only use basic math on a daily basis anyway.

I could write a whole novel about some of the subjects taught at schools, but I think I'll stop here.
    Really? I find algebra to be useful! Here's 1 example of many I could provide:

My step-son came home with this expensive fancy wireless router and said, "Look, it has 6000 square foot range!" I looked at him and said, "That doesn't mean 6000 feet away. Remember that it will transmit in all directions, so we are talking about the area of a circle. If you recall, Area equals PI times the radius squared. So, 6000 = 3.14(R^2) Now solve for R. He looked at me funny, so I solved for R for him. The range was about 45 feet from the router.

So instead of thinking he had a faulty router, he realized he had been suckered by the marketing.

I've also used trigonometry in my every day life too. And literature. And science. :bigsmile:

There's nothing wrong with being well rounded.

If there's anything I ever need to know/remember, Google's there for a reason. I know it's not ALWAYS the answer, but my brain would never remember all that unnecessary info.
    Good for you that you're well rounded, and I see what you mean, but for MY life I don't think I'll need to know anything more than the basics. Trying to teach me and 99% of teens/kids out there anything more than the basics for math and some other subjects is a waste of everyone's time.
    Those classes should be changed for money management classes or something to prepare kids for things they'll actually need to know.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    new-world-order.jpg
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If there's anything I ever need to know/remember, Google's there for a reason.

As a teacher, this comment made me :sick: and :sad:
  • Shellyyy7928
    Shellyyy7928 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This status has been going around on facebook for atleast four years. This student did not make it up, they just re-posted it.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, school isn't about retaining all of the information. It's about learning how to learn. Learning to become resourceful and be able to problem solve. Gaining a general understanding of all topics so that you are a more productive part of society. It makes me sick how many people I work with who can't figure stuff out for themselves (for god sakes just google it!). I'm sure those are the people who thought school was "pointless". Goes back to Pareto's Principle... 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I agree with the original poster, it is sad what our nation is coming to. It seems like so many more kids are entitled little snots. Parents stop babying your children and stop giving your kids trophies for coming in last!!
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    The sentiment of any knowledge being "unnecessary" , makes me die a little inside. Since when did people stop thriving to acquire any knowledge they could, just for the sake of being a more intelligent being? I personally blame it on NCLB, thank God I was out of school before that abomination came along and ruined the minds of students.

I never will understand the type of person who is complacent in knowing knowing the bare minimum in life. You only get this once, and to waste it on this lazy ideal that since you will never use it, why ever learn it, is a shame...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    How did NCLB harm schools? Finally they had to deliver the goods. Teacher unions hate it because they got real comfy keeping their jobs even though kids couldn't read, and they sure didn't want to be accountable for results. I'm a teacher, and I'm a huge fan of the benefits reaped by all the schools I have worked at/my children attended since NCLB was implemented.
  • kgs0201
    Options
    The sentiment of any knowledge being "unnecessary" , makes me die a little inside. Since when did people stop thriving to acquire any knowledge they could, just for the sake of being a more intelligent being? I personally blame it on NCLB, thank God I was out of school before that abomination came along and ruined the minds of students.

I never will understand the type of person who is complacent in knowing knowing the bare minimum in life. You only get this once, and to waste it on this lazy ideal that since you will never use it, why ever learn it, is a shame...

I agree with your comment about No Child Left Behind. Sigh. In our community, they also stopped giving out "My child is on the honor roll" bumper stickers because they felt it wasn't fair to the kids who didn't make honor roll. Seriously?!
  • GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    How did NCLB harm schools? Finally they had to deliver the goods. Teacher unions hate it because they got real comfy keeping their jobs even though kids couldn't read, and they sure didn't want to be accountable for results. I'm a teacher, and I'm a huge fan of the benefits reaped by all the schools I have worked at/my children attended since NCLB was implemented.

Because it teaches children to test instead of how to learn... I am in college with kids much younger, and the effects are there. They act like the DESERVE to be in college, and they are just a steady stream of sheep with no concept of how to think for themselves. Deliver what goods? A "standardized" test score? So you are saying that every child is the exact same? This would explain the ever growing population of "sheeple".
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Being 40 I remember school being much better as a child and to this day I can still name off capitols of most states..my kids didnt even know there was a war in Kuwait, the Falkland islands, or Vietnam...sad. Because of NCLB kids are taught to pass the state tests, not to learn. Our school district is one of the best in the state..because they push this testing and prepping for the test so much. Other than test times, my kids are not learning crap, sad to say..and I have kids in elementary, middle and high schools..all the same.
    We are gonna be screwed in about 10 years..all I gotta say.
  • kgs0201
    Options

Because it teaches children to test instead of how to learn... I am in college with kids much younger, and the effects are there. They act like the DESERVE to be in college, and they are just a steady stream of sheep with no concept of how to think for themselves. Deliver what goods? A "standardized" test score? So you are saying that every child is the exact same? This would explain the ever growing population of "sheeple".

^This. It goes back to my stance that school's purpose should be to teach us how to learn/think/problem solve and not how to memorize crap and take tests.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This status has been going around on facebook for atleast four years. This student did not make it up, they just re-posted it.

That's not the point nor did I imply that they were the original poster....only that I knew they were serious in it's sentiment.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you honestly forgotten what it was like to be that age? Of course he was serious. We were all serious at that age. We knew everything and adults were idiots.
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am much more concerned about the guy in the White House than this 9th grader.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I used to think the same thing about English. I speak and write more coherently than most of the people I see posting to message boards but I still couldn't pick anything other than the Noun and Verb out of a sentence. Seriously, Does having fancy names for the parts of speech help you speak/write any better?
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I am much more concerned about the guy in the White House than this 9th grader.

Just another sheep doing what is expected of him. You don't honestly think that he has all the power that he is supposed to have do you? The thousands of people that "lie"(sic) just below him have all the power.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

^This. It goes back to my stance that school's purpose should be to teach us how to learn/think/problem solve and not how to memorize crap and take tests.

I have children in middle and elementary school. I hate the NCLB program. I have seen the affects firsthand by working in the schools that they are just learning to test well. They aren't able to teach the kids to learn for themselves. Also, when did giving homework over the weekend become an evil thing? We used to get tons on weekends growing up and it didn't kill us. My mom and sister are both teachers and hate NCLB. They have to deal with its affects everyday as they teach at the middle and high school levels. When did it become okay for the federal gov't to step into our schools and tell our teachers how they are allowed to teach? When I went to school our teachers used all sorts of methods from visual to hands-on exercises to get through to us. But now teachers hands are tied to standards and tests. And our kids are the ones that are really going to suffer the consequences of all of this.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Sure, lots of 9th graders don't love school. Sadly, this kid was entirely serious (Remember, I know and teach them).

I'm pretty sure this kid took it from somewhere else, as I've seen this posted on my cousin's Facebook.

ETA: Just noticed someone else has pointed this out. And really, what else do you expect from a 14 year old? LMAO. Can't believe how seriously you're taking it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    re: NCLB
    <snip>
    Deliver what goods?

The ability to read, for one. NCLB mandates that every child can read by third grade. THIRD grade. By the time they are 8 or even 9 years old, we are requiring that the teachers actually get around to teaching them to read. At the "Basic" level, it doesn't even require that they test "proficient" in reading.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    <snip>
    when did giving homework over the weekend become an evil thing?
    I worked in a middle school in Oakland, whose test scores ranked us the #4 middle school in all of California. We gave homework every weekend, every night, every vacation.
    My mom and sister are both teachers and hate NCLB. They have to deal with its affects everyday as they teach at the middle and high school levels.

Yes, many teachers hear from their union rep how bad NCLB is and they jump on board. I taught at the middle school level 2 years ago. There were no extra requirements for me. Just to do my damn job and make sure the kids learned the information in the curriculum. Every student in my class tested proficient on their STAR tests. And I never worked past 4 o'clock at all during the entire school year.
    When did it become okay for the federal gov't to step into our schools and tell our teachers how they are allowed to teach?

When it became commonplace to be handing out high school diplomas to children who can't read, the federal government HAD to step in and make sure the funds they are using for education are actually resulting in EDUCATED students.