Clean eating?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Melodypharmon
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Revolutionary-Program-Restore-Natural/dp/0061735337/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330532605&sr=1-1

That takes you to the book to give you all the info you need. I know lots of people who eat this way and love it.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There are different variations of clean eating from the Hard-core (grow it with my own hands) to the fairly loose. I fall into the fairly loose because I eat some forms of processed foods like morning star and boca burgers and skinny cow ice cream. For the most part thought, I try to stick with fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, lentils, seeds, lean meats, etc.

You are my twin!
  • kathmedwards
    Options
    Acg67 - thanks for the link. I've only heard good things about clean eating; it's nice to see some evidence base criticising it.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    anything that hasn't been on the floor for longer than 10 seconds.

awww crap!! I thought it was a 5 second rule!! I get a whole 10 seconds?? suuuuweeet :tongue:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean. In a nutshell eat more "whole foods." I also accept things that are minimally processed with recognizable ingredients. So I am fine getting frozen fruits and veggies, whole grains, milk and dairy products. I also use things like almond milk and the whole grain pastas even though they are pretty processed, because they have other benefits I am willing to trade for.

To be honest, I eat "cleaner" because I am trying support my local ecosystem and economy, so I try to buy seasonal local produce as much as possible, locally produced meat (and I am working on the other ingredients and pantry staples as well. I have been doing this for around 8 years, but it wasn't a health or weight loss goal (other than trying to eat more produce), but because I think it is more environmentally friendly. I am a prime example that eating the right foods doesn't automatically mean weight loss -- as I did gradually gain weight over this 8 year period.

I am not as hardcore as some people in my community, as I still get tropical fruits. I was reading about a local chef that's a locavore: he doesn't eat bananas because we can't grow them here, and hasn't had one for 20 years. I thought about it, and really reduced my intake of banana, but I haven't done a good job on the mangoes though. :)

If you stick with loads of produce, organic or sustainable meats when you can (more expensive, but also tastier) and whole grains you'll be on the right track.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    To ease your way into it, try shopping only the perimeter of the grocery store ~ skip anything boxed or items with more than one ingredient. It takes a bit of getting used to and your food diary will be a longer list of items, but it is well worth it. Also, one big "no-no" of clean eating is artificial sweeteners.

Check your library for Clean Eating magazine. It gives a good insight into what it takes. As previous posters mentioned, there are varying degrees of clean eating. I don't go hardcore clean eating, because some days I really "need" a good dose of Cheetos (I am trying to curb my fake cheese powder addiction), but do opt for clean eating 80-90% of the time.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    anything that hasn't been on the floor for longer than 10 seconds.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love:
  • coyer1976
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a few books out about "Eating Clean". They are great! They aren't "starve yourself" diet books - but a clear example of how to PROPERLY fuel your body and what it needs on a daily basis. http://www.eatcleandiet.com/tosca_reno.aspx

This has helped me lose 45 pounds - knowing what I can/can't do (shouldn't do). She has full meal plans in her books - FULL of information across the board.

Good luck!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If it has a mother or grows out of the ground, you're good. :flowerforyou:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This may not be much "help" to people but I just want to say it takes A HECK OF A LOT of determination, will power, strength and drive to loose weight when you are obese and eating really terrible foods. It takes a long time to gain the weight, lots of bad habits, etc.

SO... with that said, it takes a heck of a lot of the same stuff to change your entire way of thinking when it comes to food. Going from eating mostly fast foods, high carb, high cal, high fat and lots of it to eating "CLEAN" is hard and it takes time.

It doesn't happen overnight (typically) and in order to make it a LIFESTYLE change it must take time... your BRAIN has to grasp and start thinking differently. Take it one step at a time... :wink:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this post!! VERY helpful article loaded with references!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Best Alan Aragon quote ever, "Wash your food.":laugh:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    To ease your way into it, try shopping only the perimeter of the grocery store ~ skip anything boxed or items with more than one ingredient. It takes a bit of getting used to and your food diary will be a longer list of items, but it is well worth it. Also, one big "no-no" of clean eating is artificial sweeteners.

Check your library for Clean Eating magazine. It gives a good insight into what it takes. As previous posters mentioned, there are varying degrees of clean eating. I don't go hardcore clean eating, because some days I really "need" a good dose of Cheetos (I am trying to curb my fake cheese powder addiction), but do opt for clean eating 80-90% of the time.

Love Clean Eating Mag - if you go to thier website - they have a lot of information and recipies there...