Stretch marks from weight loss?

Options
Is it possible to get stretch marks from losing weight? I know it is for gaining, but I have started getting stretch marks the last few months when I have been losing weight, not gaining. There are two stretch marks, about two inches from each side of my belly button and half an inch lower, and they are kind of pink in color. Could they maybe be coming because I've been doing ab exercises now and am building up muscle down there? Any ideas of how to get them to go away?

Replies

• miss_missa07
    Options
    Bump.
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Bumping again. Hopefully it won't get lost in the forum again...
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but wanted to let you know I at least read it! :)
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am it's possible... To get them from quick weight gain or loss... Trust me I have experienced it both ways!
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    Yes, you can get them from gaining and losing weight unfortunately :ohwell:
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would guess that they were there before but are more noticeable as you get smaller. When I was pregnant I didn't think I had any stretch marks but then after baby was born and I lose weight I noticed that I do have some. Mine are clear/white, though. They have never been red like you hear about. Maybe because I have very fair skin (red hair)? Seems like you would have noticed them if they are red, but I don't know how you would get stretch marks when losing weight.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes, rapid changes in weight whether it be up or down can cause them. They don't just "go away". They're scars. They will fade over time to be much less noticeable though.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My boyfriend suggested rubbing cocoa butter on them as well to help it out. It's just so strange that I didn't really get stretch marks from gaining, but I'm getting them from losing! Then again, I'm losing a lot faster than I gained, so I imagine that's why.
  • Valencia4143
    Options
    Cover it up with a nice cute girly tattoo, or a palmers shea butter... just a suggestion
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My boyfriend suggested rubbing cocoa butter on them as well to help it out. It's just so strange that I didn't really get stretch marks from gaining, but I'm getting them from losing! Then again, I'm losing a lot faster than I gained, so I imagine that's why.
    It is most likely that you got the stretch marks from gaining weight and now that your skin is looser from weigh loss they are visible. Stretch marks are scars of deep tissue damage. There is nothing you can rub on them that will repair the torn tissue.
  • amandamickey
    Options

You can absolutely get stretch marks from losing weight just as easily as gaining weight.

You can try cocoa butter or Mederma (a cream you can get at a drugstore), but just remember that it is most likely 99% of women out there have stretch marks somewhere on their body and not to obsess over them. Focus on the fact that you're losing weight and getting healthy! :-)
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get stretch marks from losing weight just as easily as gaining weight.
    Can you provide the research? I don't mean to be rude but I'm skeptical about this.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I did not know you could get hem from weight loss. :O I have so many as it is now, that I don't think I'll notice if I get new ones when I lose....
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Can you provide the research? I don't mean to be rude but I'm skeptical about this.

They're caused by rapid CHANGES in your size, not necessarily just expansion.
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    use skin tightening wraps that keeps that under control for me.
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    cocoa butter, biooil, tattoo is another option, but I use cocoa butter and bio oil.
  • newcraft
    newcraft Posts: 11
    Options
    Rubbing lotion or cocoa butter will not work for this kind of skin issue - that only helps when you're in an active repair mode, like a cut or a surgical wound that's actively healing. Stretch marks happen gradually over time, the discoloration happens because the skin's already done trying to repair itself.

The stretch marks are there during expansion and change color as you lose, where you may not have noticed them before, but they were there. Having lost and kept off 150 pounds after having surgery, my torso is a literal encyclopedia of stretch marks - but many of them have faded naturally over time. There is no topical that will help - the best aid is to stay hydrated and eat a nutrient-rich diet so your skin can do it's own thing. Trust me, it will.
  • newcraft
    newcraft Posts: 11
    Options
    But when you're losing weight, your skin tightens as the fat layer underneath it melts away. It gets smaller. Stretch marks that appear from weight loss occur because the skin was previously stretched beyond it's norm. It doesn't happen because normal skin shrinks.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    oh F me I was thinking these couldn't possibly be NEW ones on my thighs. ARGH. takes them so long to fade.