Advice for someone who want to start Cycling

2»

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Investing in a Bike this week. Looking to spend 400.00-500.00. I have no interest in mountain Biking at the momment and May eventually want to get into some small road races. SO I have the following questions-

#1: Should I go with a road bike or since I am such a newbie should I just go with a hybrid for now and upgrade components if I really like it?

#2: Any suggestions on Brand or Model. I like the look to the Trek bikes but I am open to recommendations.

I started running about six months ago and now I am addicticted. I guess I am concerned that I will feel the same way about Cycling and wish I had a road bike if I buy a hybrid.

Thanks for the imput guys!!!!
    :drinker:

Get a road bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started on a trek hybrid and thought it was the greatest bike ever, then did a metric century on it and said NEVER AGAIN. Traded that baby in a TREK WSD road bike and LOVE it. I love TREK bikes. Go to your local bike shop and talk them about your wants/desires and hopefully they can give you sound advice on what you need. If you go with a Trek road bike you will have to spend a little more, but I think you will be happy with the outcome!!

And by the way, cycling is much more addictive than running! Even my hubby, who does not exercise LOVES it. He gets up and rides at 4 am everyday if that tells you anything! GET A ROAD BIKE!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    If you're planning on doing any light trail riding or commuting, a road bike isn't always a good choice. If you're just starting out, a hybrid is a good choice. If you start to get more serious, you can always upgrade. You may find that you lean more toward mtn biking. That's where I went after my hybrid. It was a few years before I got into road cycling. I can't decide which I like better. Just take your time and enjoy the ride...
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Well tommorow is the day I head down to the Local Bike Shop. I'll let you all know how it goes. thanks again for all the advice!

• skywalker
    Good Luck!!!

exercise.png
  • skywalker
    Good Luck!!!

exercise.png
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Well settled on a Trek FX 7.2

It's a small starting investment. If I like it I'll put some dollar into a road bike next year.

Thanks for all the help guys!
  • skywalker
    Just checked out the FX on Trek's website. Looks like a nice bike!! Good for you!!! :happy:

exercise.png
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Sweet bike. It reviews awesome.

Happy Riding. :happy:
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Well settled on a Trek FX 7.2

It's a small starting investment. If I like it I'll put some dollar into a road bike next year.

Thanks for all the help guys!

and are you hooked yet?
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Well tommorow is the day I head down to the Local Bike Shop. I'll let you all know how it goes. thanks again for all the advice!

sometimes lbs have used bikes. If your goal is to ride in organized rides or races definately get a road bike. I found mine used, ad online from a college student, Specialized for $500 with dura-ace components purchased 5 years ago and still racing her in tri's, love it, love the seat!! My husband purchased his Kestrel 2yrs old used off of ebay, great deal(still expensive though!)

Good Luck, have fun! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.