losing 3-5 lbs a week

Options

Replies

• Lyric69
    Options
    If you want some exercise to do at home to keep your body revving ....I reoimmend...dancing....I have Zumba and I have Just dance games....go to the fitness channel on cable and choose the dancing workouts....I was a size 16/18 and in almost 5 weeks I dropped to a size 14. eat smaller portions with the biggest calorie intake for lunch....he Biggest Loser meals and shakes really do work and keep you energized and feeling full. Don't get discouraged, I am an emotional eater and that too is my problem when i don't see the pounds move I eat or snack but instead of eating....I dance 15-30 minutes each night before bed.....and just to give you an idea...I live in Delaware, I work in DC....I commute by train...up at 2:30 am to work by 6:15am....home by 8:00pm...I eat a small portion of dinner (no beef) and work out at 9:00-9:30 in bed by 10:30pm and back up at 2:30am....if I can do that....then Ma'am....you can too...
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, and it doesn't sound like you want any advice but people telling you to eat an unhealthy amount of calories, but here goes.

I did lose a LOT of weight--really fast. Here's how I did it--I ate 800 calories a day and ran 5 miles a day. I dropped 70 pounds in like 3 months.

I lost a lot of my hair, had loose skin, and basically developed an eating disorder because your body goes into starvation mode and you increasingly have to eat fewer calories to lose weight.

Then I gained ALL of it back, and A LOT MORE.

It is not a sustainable way of life. Sure, you might get to that goal really quickly, but you never learn proper eating habits in the process.

You can lose 100 pounds in a year SAFELY by working out and eating a normal amount of calories.

This is a really hard lesson that I had to learn, and it took me years of being overweight to come to terms with it. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to learn how to eat healthfully and make exercise a part of life.
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    Consistency is key and after being at this for quite a while I can tell you that you will not lose 5 lbs EVERY week. I eat close to 1600 calories a day and I ride about 10 miles a day commuting 2 and from work, that's it and I still have weeks where I can lose about 7 lbs.

Good luck, be honest with yourself and don't restrict your calories too much, that leads to binging and usually falling off the wagon, aiming for perfection is a sure fire way to failure. This is supposed to be about changing your lifestyle.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "
    Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "

That's all I got because I have no clue how to lose 3-5lbs a week.

Let me join the chorus of thank yous for posting this! I'm just starting out compared to a lot of people here, but it was still really helpful to read. My "phase 1" was far more successful than I had expected, but I have recently hit phase 2 and it is really discouraging to see the scale not move (or even go in the wrong direction), even though I'm doing the exact same thing I did when the weight dropped off last month. This gives me motivation to keep going and not give up like I have so many times before!
  • pipipu
    Options
    WOW, thank you sooo much for posting this it will be of great help and motivation
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    THIS IS THE BEST POST ON MFP THAT I'VE EVER READ. THANK YOU!!!

"
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let's see, you want to induce an additional 10,500 calorie deficit per week that wold take:

17.5 hours vigorous cycling (avg 600 cal/hr) - or -
    84 miles of running @125 cal/mile -or-
    20 hrs on the stairmaster

sounds pretty outrageous doesn't it.

Add to that the fact that you probably wouldn't have the energy to get out of bed in the morning.

Try to set realistic, healthy sustainable goals.

One of the things I've noticed around here is that everyone seems to be fixated on what your scale says, shouldn't the real goal be improving your health? I'm sure you didn't put on the excess weight you're trying to shed overnight, why risk your health and well-being on a crash program that is doomed to failure from the outset.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    i do have the diet down and i eat healthy most of the time. i NEVER eat fast food. and i NEVER eat processed food. didn't do that even before i started this journey. i have read too much about food and where it comes from. i am also fortunate to live in a state where i can meet farmers and buy what little meat i do eat directly from them. only organic for my family. none of that factory farm crap. so diet wise - even though i emotionally eat, it's not like it's the drive thru at McD's. it's more like a homemade quesadilla with organic cheese and going overboard on the cheese.

the mental stuff isn't going to go away over night. i know that. i've heard all of these arguments before. but when i started to put on the freshman 15 when i was 19 or so, i started eating 1,000 cals a day and exercised 6 days a week. it worked for me and i had a rockin' body - and not ana-mia type either. just solid size 6 with great curves, etc. so say what you will about the cals, but i've done fine on that before and not had a problem. you'd be surprised how much food you can eat with a mostly plant based diet on 1,000 cals. i definitely don't feel hungry.

besides, there are people who practice CR as a lifestyle and has been shown to increase longevity. i'm mostly looking for people who have had success attempting this rather than all the arguments against it. i've done research too. i know the pros and cons. i just am curious what methods people have used to achieve these benchmarks.

What is CR?

Also, I am not trying to be a d!ck, but if something worked, then why would you be asking the question? I can tell you with all the people that I have worked with on this board (men, women, young and old), they all ran into issues with under eating. Every single one of them has needed additional calories to support weight loss. Several of them has killed their metabolism over the years (some even recovering from ED's).

In the end, it all comes down to lean muscle mass and metabolism. The more LBM you have, the better your immune system is, the better your insulin control is, the more effective your body works and the longer you live.

I have to agree. Why ask when you are already set on what you want to do? I think you will find more cons thans pro's on the calorie restriction. Anyone who has ever posted in these forums saying, "I am eating 1000 calories and the weight was coming off nicely! Now, I gained 15 pounds in a month! Help!" have turned to eating a healthy deficit of 10-20% under TDEE paired with fitness activity.
    Heck, i'm in the gym 15 hours a week, 9 of them supervised training, and i've been at a plateau for several months. But good luck to you.

15 hours a week?! I would take 12 hours off of your weekly gym time and you will probably see the plateau break. Or, I would ask to see another trainer. LOL.
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost 5 lbs a week eating 1000 calories a day and exercising. This is before I had any education on how the body works and nutrition. The result was I lost about 30 lbs in a little over a month, hit a plateau, felt deprived and was hungry all the time, went back to eating more and gained it all back plus some.

I don't recommend it at all. You get a "high" from losing it so fast then it's like hitting a brick wall when your metabolism slows down and you stop losing. Then you figure why starve myself if I'm not going to lose.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but not to weight loss journeys. So what the heck, I will venture a response. Sounds like you may be at a plateau or near a plateau, so your body is used to what you are doing with it (i.e. food and exercise). I would try to vary your foods and exercise. If you usually eat lean chicken, turkey, shrimp as an example, try adding in a little lean beef on occasion. If you are eating fruit, try eating a lower carb or lower sugar option. If you usually eat veggies high in carbs (potatoes, carrots, peas), try switching up to broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, as an example. I am sure you are aware there are all sorts of places sugar can lurk and it is not good for belly fat. Look up Jorge Cruise for belly fat buster information.

Try varying your exercises. Just do a complete different home program, adding in weights and resistance bands. Is jogging outside an option? A lot of diets I have read recently include a splurge day, or a splurge meal once a week, to eat anything you want to shock the system out of its comfort zone. Depending on your excercise level, if you are high intensity training, with only 1000 calories, your body may think it is starving and will hold on to its stored body fat....regardless of any mathematical equation people come up with. These are just suggestions, and I am sure you already know or have tried most of this. Hope something I said helps. Good luck!
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Web MD says to focus heavily on cardio and to do your strength training circuit before you do your cardio workout to lose more fat
  • allnewellie
    Options
    Try to set realistic, healthy sustainable goals.

One of the things I've noticed around here is that everyone seems to be fixated on what your scale says, shouldn't the real goal be improving your health?

AWESOME!!!! There have been plenty of days that the scale was up or the same --- but I *feel* great. My choices were good, I exercised and the scale did not immediately reflect that. By remembering that it is a lifetime journey, I now use the scale as a TOOL, not a JUDGE. Ultimately, my good health will be reflected by a thinner body.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "

Phase 3. The routine.

Phase 5. End game.

Conclusion:

Fab post , so glad i looked on here , I am going to keep reading this advice its the best and most thorough ive seen yet thanks x
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sorry just read the post a little more... 1000 calories is NOT nearly enough. I eat 1700 a day and lose about a pound a week.

Less doesn't always mean more loss. You will screw up your body and metabolism doing that :(

Biggest Loser isn't real life.

ALSO biggest loser weigh ins werent always in a week. one of the contestants came out with a book about it. she said that it showed as a week but sometimes could really have been 3-4 weeks. so even at that heavy they dont always lose that much :-)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I started MFP over a year ago with a very aggressive and stubborn attitude, just like you. I ate an average of 900 calories per day and worked out like a maniac..... this is what I learned during my adventure:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/302589-eat-more-to-lose-more-explained

Increase your calories and do it the right way. There is a reason we call it the "right way", btw, because it works not only for the short term, but for the long term. I no longer struggle with my weight, calories, or eating. Please join me.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Great replies everyone, too bad some people will never understand and do what they want anyway.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    "i'm mostly looking for people who have had success attempting this rather than all the arguments against it."

You aren't getting replies from these people....because they don't exist. Try asking experts if you don't believe the 1000s here that are trying to keep you from ending up with an eating disorder and medical conditions from lack of proper nutrients.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    if you read my initial question it was asking for anyone who had had any luck hitting that benchmark. i didn't ask anything but that. that is all. and yes, 1000 cals is working for me plus exercise, but i'm not hitting the 3-5 lbs per week. my question is more of a mathematical one - what is the formula for calculating deficit taking into account bmr so i can figure out how much exercise i need a week to hit this goal.

Then it doesn't sound like it's working for you, if you still aren't hitting 3-5 per week. Because it doesn't work. Because your body doesn't want it to work. Don't post in a forum and expect no one to comment about how unhealthy this is. God forbid if someone else stumbles upon this and tries to do the same because they saw it here with no one posting counter positions.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty satisfied with losing a little over 50 pounds in a year. It's slow, but I know it's not coming back, and I know that I haven't hurt my organs, metabolism, or lean muscle mass. Also being able to eat 1,700 cal/day makes me happy.
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Look, I am eating around 1000 calories a day too, give or take 200 depending on how i feel. BUT when i exercise I eat all the calories back. AND i'm a really small frame and honestly I feel great.

HOWEVER... I exercise. and you don't. i'm sorry, but a 20 minute tape is nothing. go for an hour walk! walk to work and back, or to the store! It's crucial.

I recommend walking 40 mins a day and then going for a half hour jog or something. exercise is the way you will get your massive deficit.

and drink the water, or you will get massive headaches or pass out or fall sick. furreal.