Is anyone else sick of Facebook???

Options
On New Years Eve, I decided that the beginning of 2012 would mark two things. One I would finally get in shape and two give up Facebook for good. Most of my friends couldn't believe the Facebook decision because I was on it religiously. I would check it every five minutes on my phone like I would check the fridge for snacks even though I knew there was nothing there. I am not going to lie, it does feel like I am missing out on some of my friends and families lives but there is also something very gratifying about calling your family and friends instead.

I am just curious if anyone else feels the way I do. Do you feel that Facebook is a bit intrusive? MPF offers a great alternative to meeting new people that are all here for one main goal and that is to be healthy, happy and sexy individuals! :smokin:

Replies

• maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate it. Hardly ever use it. But I have oodles of family on it. Cousins in far away places that I've never even heard of. So I keep it.

I love Twitter.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've tried giving up Facebook quite a few times. Even went as far as deleting my account but renewed it at the last minute before full deletion. I'm addicted... Plus with a lot of people I know (old friends and whatnot) it's the only way I'd probably stay in contact. I get sick of my addiction to it sometimes and I smack myself on the wrist for it, but I've given up trying to give it up LOL.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I use facebook solely because of the people on it who I would loose touch with otherwise, but yeah, I dislike the site and its general set up and premise in general.

Twitter, though, now that's something I :heart: .
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    No. I'm a dork that plays the pointless games. I don't ever contact anybody on it or read their updates, I just want to build a thriving pioneer town.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've been able to stay in touch with quite a few people that I thought I lost forever. So, it's cool for that.

But, yeah, it's kinda stupid if you're on it constantly. It's not really all that interesting. And, I have some friends that post every 5 mintues, "I'm at the store", "I'm getting coffee", "I'm eating a peanut"...Ugh! But, I like when my friends get drunk and start facebooking. Then, it's funny. Half the time they don't even make any sense. Ha!

I've tried to stay away from it, but it always draws me in. i can't figure out what it is about it that's so addicting.
  • t21972
    t21972 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I Hate it and have stopped using it for about 6 mths now. I class a friend as someone who I'd gladly buy a beer for if I saw them in a bar. not a old school pal that i haven't heard of since i left 20+ years ago. If I wanted to know what a friend had been up to over the week end I'd give them a ring or even pop and see them NOT spy on them over the internet.
  • miss_september
    Options
    Yeah, really dislike facebook. Have never had it, never want to have it, hate that people make it the "end all and be all" of their existence. Generally, all of the people I really care about, I see or talk to on a regular basis, including family and friends. People are shocked that I, and my family, don't have facebook and don't intend to get it. I also have a real problem with technology getting in the way of old-fashioned people skills, communication skills, and family togetherness time....but that is a rant for another day =-).
  • RH_Brazell
    Options
    I dont hate it...I get bored with it at times but i like being able to stay in touch with all my friends and family
  • glenbarney
    glenbarney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I left facebook months ago.

Took everyone to Google+

It's a much better, higher-quality community.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I was on it constantly between the phone and whatever computer I was closest to. Decided it was more negative than positive and deactivated in September. Best decision I've ever made (as far as social networking goes anyway).

Yeah I've lost touch with some people, but they were people I'd lost touch with before and my life was just fine.
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    done and done! It's a hot mess
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I'm not sick of Facebook, I'm sick of some of my friends on facebook hahah! I love keeping up with my family, seeing the baby pictures, but sometimes I look at my newsfeed and think "why am I friends with you" People from high school add me and it's like you try to force a friendship just because you know them, but their drama is the same as it was 15 years ago......oh and coworkers! yes I work with you, but I don't want you seeing pictures of my kids so please stop trying to add me! whoo guess I needed to vent about that huh. I think no matter what social networking site you use you need to treat it like your living room, only invite the people you actually like.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been on a Facebook Fast for about 3 weeks now. I only go on in the morning to see what is happening with my family and to see if I have any mail. I am totally surprised at how much I don't miss Facebook. I spent wayyyyy too much time there reading about stuff I really just didn't need to know.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I left facebook months ago.

Took everyone to Google+

It's a much better, higher-quality community.

THIS
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Facebook all the time, but recently with my studies piling up as well as other things I don't really use it so much. :)

I probably check it once or twice a day to stay in contact with friends and family but that's about it. I don't go on it anywhere near as much as I used to.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No. I'm a dork that plays the pointless games. I don't ever contact anybody on it or read their updates, I just want to build a thriving pioneer town.

Me, too! Only mine is that stupid Treasure Island game. I just dig endlessly for treasure. Pretend treasure. The people who devise those games are evil geniuses with psychology degrees.

Like the Cow Clicker guys. Grr!!
  • mali9292
    mali9292 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Facebook is the most ridiculously stupid, time-consuming site. I deleted it over a year ago; however, I should have never even gotten one. There are so many people that REVOLVE their life around Facebook. They change their relationship status to "complicated" allowing ALL of their real/fake friends to know about their personal life. Is there such thing as a personal life when you have Facebook? Yes, if you NEVER use it. It has become so easy for people to access information, that to me personally, seems to be confidential. I do understand that it is GREAT for reconnecting with friends that live far away YET, there is this thing called EMAIL and their are POST OFFICES that also allow us to communicate. Why can't we go back to our old-fashioned ways of communicating with others? Facebook has RUINED the beauty of communication.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Yeah, really dislike facebook. Have never had it, never want to have it, hate that people make it the "end all and be all" of their existence. Generally, all of the people I really care about, I see or talk to on a regular basis, including family and friends. People are shocked that I, and my family, don't have facebook and don't intend to get it. I also have a real problem with technology getting in the way of old-fashioned people skills, communication skills, and family togetherness time....but that is a rant for another day =-).

I wish my family lived near by =( we are spread out coast to coast, Germany, Ireland, and Afghanistan - FB is a great way to peek into the daily lives of my nephew in the military, my sister in georgia, I love little snapshots and all the banter I wouldn't normally get to hear.
  • missbaker89
    Options
    i used to be on facebook all the time..........but since joining this site i am now on this all the time :)
  • bikiniready201
    Options
    I also cancelled my acct on New yrs!!! I felt it wasnt allowing me to have 'real' relationships w my friends/family...i was making comments on pics, or walls and thinking that was enough to make a friendship real. and it kinda is these days, hey?
    I was addicted to it 24/7 and slept w my phone in my bed. if i woke up in the middle of the night i checked it!!!
    i miss posting pics of myself w friends, but u know what.... life is better w/o it for sure!
    I always say i miss the simplicity of the days w/o internet/cells...when someone would call your landline and if you didnt pick up its cause 'you wernt home' not 'hey! where are u? i know u have ur phone on you 24/7!'
    adios FB and hello to real living!