Lunches to take to work?

Options
I start my first job on Monday and am looking for lunch ideas! :)
I can't see myself eating a sandwich everyday, and I prefer to stay away from gluten.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Fruit, Veggies, Salad, Yogurt
  • MissJenn33
    MissJenn33 Posts: 131
    Options
    I usually pack my self left over dinner. If not, then make it super easy and pack a salad with some grilled chicken. I ALWAYS pack good snacks too. An apple, a WW string cheese, a greek yogurt and a 1/4 cup of trail mix.
  • juliemaplehurst
    Options
    Not sure about the gluten free thing, but if you have a microwave handy loads of healthy food in the pre cooked isle these days, or you could just take in a portion of last nights dinner from home.

This is what I am doing for my OH and the pounds are just dropping off him as all temptation is left at home........and of course that good old thing portion control..

Good luck with the job.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I take my lunch to work everyday. Usually salad with either tuna, salmon, chicken, cottage cheese and sometimes brown rice or quinoa. I also take almonds to snack on and a natural low fat yoghurt.

Prepare your lunch the evening before work or even make enough food for your evening meal so there is some left over to take to work for your lunch too.
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Salad and fruit. Protein shakes are another easy option.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Salad
    Soups
    Fruit
    Veggies
    ....anything you would normally eat at home.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich thin a lot, but sometimes have a Chef Boyardee Ravioli cup for 200 calories with some veggies. I have yogurt and a special K bar as a snack, too.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I ususally make a pot of soup or chili on the weekend and then rotate, Soup one day, Sandwich the next, salad then back to soup. Cottage cheese and/or fruit are usually my snacks. I keep at my desk some snack size fruit cups and plain instant oatmeal just in case I forget my lunch or miss breakfast. I get tired of salad to often but can really enjoy it if I keep it to once a week. The black bean chili I made this week gets better each time I have it.
  • Blees87
    Blees87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with salads, yogurt and good low cal snacks, like string cheese and whole fruit, I also really like good whole grain crackers with low fat cream cheese, yum!

You could also try wrapping up your fave sandwich toppings in a corn tortilla: I used to do low-sodium turkey, low fat cream cheese and salsa in a corn tortilla. Low cal and delicious. :)

I'm also a leftover person, so I will just pack up leftovers from the night before.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My personal favs are

lots of salad with either - Tinned tuna (in brine not oil) I have with tomatoes and low fat mayo. or sliced chicken breast.

I also make leek and potato soup, only 120 calories, thick and keep me full for ages
    500 grams Potatoes
    400 grams Leeks
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 veg stock cubes

Put all in pot simmer until all soft then blend, job done.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I take salads, leftovers (If I can eat them) or like today, I put frozen shrimp and some other stuff in my container, I'll microwave it at lunch and make shrimp tacos! :)
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I prepare my lunches for the upcoming week on Sunday since free time during the week is limited. I usually prepare four or five one-gallon bags with the following: iceberg lettuce, spinach, broccoli, green beans, two to three hard-boiled eggs, 3.5oz portion of lean meat (I prefer steak), and pre-cooked lentils. Boring but simple, you get the picture. I keep a tub of whey protein and various cans of food for emergencies (e.g. tuna, spinach with no salt added, beans).
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Check out allrecipes.com. There a bunch of make-ahead lunches ideas.
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love my nuts (almonds, peanuts, mixed).
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    congrats on the new job! ditto what everyone else said--sometimes i make a whole grain quesadilla the night before with grilled chicken and low-fat cheese, then just reheat it at work. or i have lean pockets, but that's my secret shame--waaaay too much sodium for an everyday lunch. you'll come up w/ more ideas once you find out what tools their kitchen has.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I like making a big pot of soup and taking it throught the week. Rachale Ray's Black bean Stoup and salsa Stoup are gerat and I think they are both gluten free.

A nice big salad with chicken or peperoni on top is great

I also take leftovers form the previous night and I alwuy bring berries or a piece of fruit.

if you are at a desk stash things like 100cal natural nut packets, naturae vally granola bars or other healthy snacks to keep you away from teh vending machines.

Good luck!
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My favorite work lunch is a faux taco salad... black bean veggie burger over lettuce using salsa and/or guacamole as dressing. Yum. (Not sure about the gluten factor in veggie burgers, but I would assume there are GF options or you could make your own at home.)

I also bring lots of soups. I either make a big batch on the weekend or buy individual microwave bowls.
  • miss_jessica_marie
    miss_jessica_marie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im big on soups. However, watch Sugar intake. Some of the soups (esp. red-sauced soups) are very high in sugar intake. And make sure you account that twice because most cans of soups (Chunky, etc) are 2 servings, not 1. Campbells has many varities of soups. My fav. is Ham and Potatoe :) Also, there are many Healthy Request soups that are total 180 cal (90 per serving). Something to look into for sure!
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's not something you'll want to do everyday but I love taking lean cuisine's or the smart one's...there are some super yummy meals that are quite filling if you have one with a piece of fruit after.

I love making yogurt parfaits, we buy the frozen fruit and then put some fat free vanilla yogurt or source yogurt in the banana coconut pineapple flavor & then top with a 1/4 cup of speciak k for the crunch :)

The snack packs of thinsations cookies or baked cheetos or sun chips are awesome too!

Good Luck at your new job! :)