World's worst runner / C25K

Options
I'm stuck on week 6 of C25K and I'm feeling a bit discouraged.

For those of you who are not in the know, C25K goes from a very user-friendly, ease your way into things for the first several weeks, then it takes a nasty little turn when it goes from 8 minute intervals into running 20 or 25 without stopping.

During week 5, the 3rd run of the week had me run 20 minutes straight, and I did ok with it. But my feet & shins started hurting afterwards. I promise, I stretch. Really, really well actually.

Last week, during week 6, everything was fine until the 3rd run of the week which was 25 minutes. I finished it - but MAN - it was U-G-L-Y. I needed to slow to a snail's pace, I was huffing and puffing away - it was just awful. And afterwards, my hips, feet and shins where pretty achy.

So I decided that I would repeat week 6 this week - as week 7 is running 25 minutes straight, all three days. I didn't feel as though I was ready. Run one was fine. During run two (two 10-minute runs). I really struggled with the 2nd run. I seem to be going backwards in my endurance.

What's my problem? Why am I having such a hard time with this? I don't really want to be a big-time runner, I just want to be able to run 30 minutes at a time, 3 days as week, for cardiovascular health and to set and accomplish a little goal for myself. I am about 15-20 lbs overweight, 41 years old. I don't smoke and only drink socially. It seems like this is something I should be able to do.

So why can't I ? Advice needed and welcomed! Thanks....

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the same exact boat. I just finished Week 6 on Friday. I haven't started week 7 yet (even though I should be almost finished with it by now). I'm contemplating doing Week 6 again.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Considering you've been at this for 6 weeks, the first two things that pop into my head are 1) bad shoes and 2) bad form (also, bad shoes can lead to bad form as well).

What kind of shoes are you wearing when you run? Have you looked at videos online to see runners' forms and to see how their strides match yours?
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Double check your shoes, and (as someone who has completed this program) make sure you aren't running too fast when you run. It's VERY easy to speed up a bit...especially since you're really proud-and rightfully so- of getting this far. Slow down and relax...you've done great, and you're doing great.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before AND after? I agree, the right shoes can make or break it for you. I have also found that it takes me at least 5 minutes of running to get over the hump and after that, it's easy. But if you let yourself get psyched out during the tough part, that can make the rest harder. Sometimes it really is mind over body.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Double check your shoes, and (as someone who has completed this program) make sure you aren't running too fast when you run. It's VERY easy to speed up a bit...especially since you're really proud-and rightfully so- of getting this far. Slow down and relax...you've done great, and you're doing great.

This x 1000

You might not notice yourself speeding up. But now that you are running for more extended periods of time you might need to slow your pace. Even adding 15sec a mile could make a huge difference in how you feel at the end.
  • the2aces
    the2aces Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm familiar with the C25K program, but I CAN say that jumping from running 8 minutes in a row to 20 minutes in a row is a terrible idea! No wonder you're having trouble. It's also too big of a jump in terms of injury prevention.

The book RUN YOUR BUTT OFF is absolutely fantastic for getting non-runners to a place where you can run 30 minutes comfortably. It's set up in 12 stages that have a dual purpose - gradual progression so you feel confident and not exhausted to the point where you want to quit, and injury prevention.

It's written by 3 people - Sarah Lorge Butler (a Runner's World contributing editor), Leslie Bonci (a well known sports dietition, mph, rd), and Budd Coates (exercise physiologist, MS).

I have the book in my car and would list you all the stages here if I had it with me, but here's what the end looks like...

Stage 7 - walk 3, run 7 - repeat 3 times, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 8 - walk 2, run 9 - repeat twice, then walk 2, run 8, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 9 - walk 3, run 12 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 10 - walk 2, run 13 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 11 - run 14, walk 1 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 12 - run 30!

They impress upon you that it's extremely important you do each stage 3-4 times within 1 week before you move on, and if you don't feel ready to move on, then don't! Also, your "run" speed should be whatever feels comfortable to you, not something that feels like you're pushing. Start working on speed once you can run 30 minutes in a row completely comfortably.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Getting past the 25 minute mark was my sticking point too. What worked for me was to not worry about speed, just slow down for the entire run and just force through the last 5 minutes for a few days.

And I went to a good running store where they analyzed my stride and told me what shoes would work best for me. Since I bought the new shoes, no pain at all.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm actually really glad you posted this. I usually do the elliptical, but the last few weeks I have been thinking about perhaps starting a running program like C25K. Of course I'll need proper shoes, and I'm gonna ask my trainer to help me with my form, but still, when I looked at the regimen they have planned, I kinda freak out. You are actually doing it, so thats fantastic, but I was wondering what kind of traps I could fall into, problems I could have.

Does anyone use any kind of tool to tell how fast they are running? I'm sure an HRM is sufficient, but I'm curious to know if there are other, better tools.
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    bump
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I'm proud of you that you've made it this far -- I'm on what I refer to as week 0.5 :) I hope to be at week 6 in around 12 weeks (yes I'm slow) -- but trying to listen to my body and what its really equipped for.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I'm actually really glad you posted this. I usually do the elliptical, but the last few weeks I have been thinking about perhaps starting a running program like C25K. Of course I'll need proper shoes, and I'm gonna ask my trainer to help me with my form, but still, when I looked at the regimen they have planned, I kinda freak out. You are actually doing it, so thats fantastic, but I was wondering what kind of traps I could fall into, problems I could have.

Does anyone use any kind of tool to tell how fast they are running? I'm sure an HRM is sufficient, but I'm curious to know if there are other, better tools.

An HRM with a foot pod or GPS will tell you, but if you have a smart phone, you can also use an app like MapMyRun or Endomondo. :)
  • tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but I had a similar problem. Really really struggled and kept repeating weeks because I just couldn't do it.

I then went to donate blood and they took an iron count. It was low. Really low! A couple of weeks of iron later and I was off and away.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I can't say I'm familiar with the C25K program, but I CAN say that jumping from running 8 minutes in a row to 20 minutes in a row is a terrible idea! No wonder you're having trouble. It's also too big of a jump in terms of injury prevention.

The book RUN YOUR BUTT OFF is absolutely fantastic for getting non-runners to a place where you can run 30 minutes comfortably. It's set up in 12 stages that have a dual purpose - gradual progression so you feel confident and not exhausted to the point where you want to quit, and injury prevention.

It's written by 3 people - Sarah Lorge Butler (a Runner's World contributing editor), Leslie Bonci (a well known sports dietition, mph, rd), and Budd Coates (exercise physiologist, MS).

I have the book in my car and would list you all the stages here if I had it with me, but here's what the end looks like...

Stage 7 - walk 3, run 7 - repeat 3 times, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 8 - walk 2, run 9 - repeat twice, then walk 2, run 8, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 9 - walk 3, run 12 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 10 - walk 2, run 13 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 11 - run 14, walk 1 - repeat once, finish with 3 minutes of walking
    Stage 12 - run 30!

They impress upon you that it's extremely important you do each stage 3-4 times within 1 week before you move on, and if you don't feel ready to move on, then don't! Also, your "run" speed should be whatever feels comfortable to you, not something that feels like you're pushing. Start working on speed once you can run 30 minutes in a row completely comfortably.

This is very similar to C25k. And the OP didn't quite explain...you don't just go from 8 min to 25 min overnight. During week 6 Day 1 you do 8 min of jogging, 5 walking, and 8 jogging. Then on Day 2 you do 10 jogging, 3 walking, and 10 jogging. Then on Day 3 you do 25 jogging.

I should also note that Week 5 Day 3 is 20 minutes of jogging.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would look at getting better running shoe.
  • kellyjb80
    kellyjb80 Posts: 10
    Options
    Definitely sounds like you would benefit from new shoes. And I don't think you can ever stretch too much =)
  • Godzirra
    Godzirra Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before AND after?

This is super important. I'm just starting week 5 and I'm definitely having trouble, but I force myself through it and feel amazing when I finish. Not amazingly good, but good about myself.

Once I started stretching afterwards as well as before hand, it made a HUGE difference.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down for the 25 min run, even if you think it may be too slow. The point is to be able to build up the endurance so you can run the entire time period. You can work on improving your time and pace later.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to the wacky world of running!

First up, here are my beginner's tips, which include getting over a hump, the "toxic 10 minutes" and what to do about aches and niggles:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

I can't emphasise enough the importance of point 1:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

There is a speed you can go to get over this week, I promise!

Next up, if you've had a tough week, repeat it. You're not breaking the law if you don't follow C25K to the letter, and in fact some of the most successful C25 graduates have had to do this. I'd repeat the 20-minute week if I were you, then atack teh 25 minutes afresh once you've restored your confidence.

Good luck, you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • lukeout007
    Options

The C25K app tells you distance and speed
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. I finished week 5, and I was dying on the 4ht day so I am doing it again this week. One day I can run 11mins straight, and the next I can't even do 5mins. Its rather annoying.