If you go to church...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I go to a very advanced Catholic Church. Every time we dip our fingers into the holy water, it registers our genetic code, and sends a notification to the Vatican on our attendance. That goes on our permanent record.

OK, I made it up.

Love it. How about retinal scans?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Our church has a guest book people can sign (or not) voluntarily. Visitors will receive a polite smile and a handshake when sharing the Peace. If you want someone to actually talk to you about the church you have to fill out the form that's kept with the offering envelopes near the hymn books. Even then it is not our Pastor's strong suit to follow up - you pretty much have to stalk him. Anyone is free to take Communion.

My congregation is happy to see you when you're there, misses you when you're not, but does not take roll.

I'm Lutheran (ELCA) if that matters.
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I attend a Spiritualist "church" - they have a sign in book thingy in the back corner.. I've never signed it... They probably do it so they can estimate how much goodies they need after the service and also.. maybe.. to send you a card or phone call if they haven't seen your name in a while? Or maybe for the regular members it's like bragging rights if they have their name in there every week lol I don't know.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nope, no sign in, guest book or head count at my church.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The church is trying to live by 1 Cor 11, 17-34

Read it and you'll understand why they dont just offer communion to anybody..
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to sign that you took communion? Is some of the sacrificial wine missing?

I don't really get this... but I believe it is for church's that practice closed communion (meaning you aren't supposed to take communion if you aren't a member of the church you're visiting).

My sister and BIL just visited a new church last week. Nobody was allowed to take communion unless you had a little blue card that you gave to the usher when exiting the pew. I'd never heard of this until she told me about it.

NEVER heard of that!

That's funny because it was a Missouri Synod.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We do not have sign in sheets in our pew. Our head usher takes a head count from the back of church and records it. We have a guest book in the front foyer that we invite guests to sign, but there isn't anyone standing there as the enforcer. Everyone pretty much knows if someone is missing, since we almost always sit in the sames spots each week. Some day we will have to rearrange ourselves just to mess with the pastors mind.

Our communion is open - anyone who has accepted Christ as their Savior is welcome to partake of the elements.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to sign that you took communion? Is some of the sacrificial wine missing?

I don't really get this... but I believe it is for church's that practice closed communion (meaning you aren't supposed to take communion if you aren't a member of the church you're visiting).

My sister and BIL just visited a new church last week. Nobody was allowed to take communion unless you had a little blue card that you gave to the usher when exiting the pew. I'd never heard of this until she told me about it.

NEVER heard of that!

ALL of my coworkers are Catholic and their jaws dropped when I told them we have lil' sign up sheets :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I hear Jesus was very exclusive who he would hang out with. You couldn't just be a regular sinner, or anything bad like a prostitute, you had to be GOOD enough.

Eyeroll.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I hear Jesus was very exclusive who he would hang out with. You couldn't just be a regular sinner, or anything bad like a prostitute, you had to be GOOD enough.

Eyeroll.

really?? thats not what i read... maybe thats the difference, reading vs. hearing....
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Been Catholic my whole life, attend mass every Sunday even when out of town. NEVER had to sign in at any church, even to receive communion.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

NEVER heard of that!

Ugh. Missouri Synod. There's a reason why I went ELCA.
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    I go to a very advanced Catholic Church. Every time we dip our fingers into the holy water, it registers our genetic code, and sends a notification to the Vatican on our attendance. That goes on our permanent record.

OK, I made it up.
    LOL,, thank you for making me laugh
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    We take down information, and give information about our church to visitors, but I've never heard of a "sign-in sheet."
    ^That^
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    Been Catholic my whole life, attend mass every Sunday even when out of town. NEVER had to sign in at any church, even to receive communion.
    Same here,, NEVER sign anything, and I grew up as Episcopalian and I still am.

The sheet of paper in front of me in pew is for if you want priest to follow up with you,, that it. Not for head count -- that's greeter's job!

Just to clarify,, the head count is given to priest on a small peice of paper and placed on top of offering plate so she have a good idea as to how many are here as she prepares for communion,, don't want to run out do we???
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

At our church it doesn't matter if you are a memner or just a visitor whether you take communion. Taking it is between you and God. (accepting Christ as Savior is a prerequisite) And we don't have a sign in sheet. If you're a visitor you get a church information packet and it's up to you to decide if you fill it out.
    (I go to a baptist church)
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ushers do a head count and we sign the pew booklet - but that's mostly used to follow up with guests/new people. I attend a Presbyterian church.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    At my church there is no formal sign-in, although the full-fledged members have donation envelopes printed for them which includes your name and member number, so I guess they get their attendance (and handle tax receipts) that way.

The only church local to me that I know has a sign-in sheet is a pretty big, contemporary church. The sign-in sheet is actually just for their umpteen softball teams - church league rules state that players must attend at least 2 weeks a month. There's enough guys in that big church that *want* to play but can't because the teams are full that they take attendance. Yes, I know of at least one person who was kicked off the team due to lack of attendance.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Now I'm even more intrigued by a card that goes in with the offering!

I am familiar with Missouri Synod and Wisconsin Synod Lutheran Church's having a little tablet in each pew that you sign when you're there. It's not like everyone does, it's not "mandatory or your burn... but you're supposed to and then the secretary records that attendance in a database.

Let's say you haven't been to church in 3 months, Pastor may send a note saying "We miss you! You're a horrible person! Get to Church!" or whatever... *LOL*

I thought that was what the Sunday School records were for... *lol*
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My church does not do that but I did visit a church that had the attendance sheet up front. LOL!!!!