Options

Replies

• dragonflybird
    Options
    20 and 25.
  • elizabeth51608
    elizabeth51608 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is no "right age" to have kids... you have kids when you are ready to ENJOY them and PARENT them. That age is difference for everyone. Whether people like to admit it or not, kids are a HUGE lifestyle change and you need to do that when the time is right. Enjoy these last couple of child-free years! Our generation is much different...people are starting families at 30, 35, 40, 45... it's the way of the world...
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    19 when I had my first child.
    20 and my hubby got cancer so kids got put off in our plans. Then doctors said we could have more kids and we were blessed with two more without the help of IVF as doctor stated was our only hope.
    24 when I had my second.
    26 when I had my third.
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We had our son at 36 and we are now trying for another baby. :):)
  • nataliefrank
    Options
    I was 17 and it was a surprise! I thank god everyday for my daughter! She changed my whole life around and for the better! My husband and I got married when she was 1 1/2 and then started trying for our next one. They told me I was lucky that I had her so early because they werent sure if I would be able to become pregnant again (PCOS). almost five years later of trying, one month shy of 22, we were blessed with our second child, our son! I love being a young mom, I proved all the typical stereotypes wrong, with the way my life has turned out, both kids have the same dad ( my hubby ) I have a great career as a Hospice Manager, and I know that when my kids are grown and out of the house my husband and I will still be young enough to enjoy our lives at that time. Being so young when I had them, I feel as if i can relate to todays world and society with what my 10 yr old daughter is going through! Then I think about the fact that if and when I was to become a grandma I will still be young enough to help my children out with their kids and watch them grow and be a very active grandma like my mother has been!

But, I do believe that everything happens for a reason and you not having kids until mid 30's, there may be a reason for that! Dont let it stress you out! Good luck!!!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    18 and 21, but i met my husband at 14.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was 21 with my first and 6 days from 23 with my second. We are done having kids. I am so happy to have had them when I did, they will be out of the house by the time my hubby retires from the Air Force :-)
  • Russian1
    Russian1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First when I was 26, second a few months before I turned 35! Doctor kept saying 'you're giving birth before you're 35 right?' Otherwise it meant more tests.... My first child was brought up in a much stricter fashion than this second one. Now I don't sweat the small things. Ice cream for breakfast once a year while camping isn't going to kill him! (Yeah, I know I'm on a site for 'healthy living' but really, is it?) If we stay up and giggle in bed for 10 minutes past his bedtime he isn't going to fall over while running and playing - at least he hasn't yet!

I'm more physically fit now but do find that I am more tired than I was with the first. He is an energetic little man though! I found as I aged I had forgotten to take in the little things around me and one thing about small kids is that they notice and are in awe of the little things. Flowers, animals, stars, etc. I love it. It keeps me grounded. Plus I get to keep going to animated movies and pretend it's because of my child, I get to believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and all the good stuff for more years! If you are in good health and your doctor doesn't expect any complications if you wait, there shouldn't be a problem!

ETA: Only thing about waiting for the second one is that we were on easy street! Our daughter is old enough to watch herself but we still aren't 'free to go' because now we have a 5 year old. It was like starting over. Plus, we would like to travel more now that we are 'older' but have the young child and don't feel right asking people to come and stay with him. It's a catch 22 - The good outweighs the bad though! (Oh and I've dismissed the thought of retirement - I'll be putting him through university!)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No kids yet, but we are trying. My husband and I are both 32, I'll be 33 in May so I'll be 33 at the very youngest, if not creeping on 34 (Hopefully no later than that). We want two kids, so it's looking like, depending on when we have the first, that we'll be trying for our second around 35 or 36.

I worry about the age thing...growing up I thought I would get married at 22, kids by 24 and be all done at the ripe old age of 27-ish. Well I didn't even meet my husband until I was 28, married at 31 and started trying the week after I turned 32. So I do worry about age....but there really isn't anything I can do about it, and my worry really comes more from a societal standpoint.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I turned 18 a month before I had my eldest daughter, I was single, it wasn't easy but I made my decision and am glad of it.

I was married and 22 when I had my son and 24 when I had my youngest daughter. I always did want children when I was younger, but that was my preference. I've gotten a lot of **** for being a young mum but I honestly wouldn't change it for the world.

Don't let anyone tell you when you should be making such a life changing decision. It's not their decision to make.
  • joymomof7
    joymomof7 Posts: 14
    Options
    I was just about 27 with the first.....and 38 with number 7. I was def. more tired with the ones in my 30's, but no regrets; and in my opinion it is not too old :)
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    My first when I was 27 and my second arrived 4 days before my 30th.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I've read them all :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    First when I was 26, second a few months before I turned 35! Doctor kept saying 'you're giving birth before you're 35 right?' Otherwise it meant more tests.... My first child was brought up in a much stricter fashion than this second one. Now I don't sweat the small things. Ice cream for breakfast once a year while camping isn't going to kill him! (Yeah, I know I'm on a site for 'healthy living' but really, is it?) If we stay up and giggle in bed for 10 minutes past his bedtime he isn't going to fall over while running and playing - at least he hasn't yet!

I'm more physically fit now but do find that I am more tired than I was with the first. He is an energetic little man though! I found as I aged I had forgotten to take in the little things around me and one thing about small kids is that they notice and are in awe of the little things. Flowers, animals, stars, etc. I love it. It keeps me grounded. Plus I get to keep going to animated movies and pretend it's because of my child, I get to believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and all the good stuff for more years! If you are in good health and your doctor doesn't expect any complications if you wait, there shouldn't be a problem!

I love your post! :flowerforyou:
  • angbecks
    angbecks Posts: 12
    Options
    I was 27 with my twins, 30 with my 3rd and 33 with my 4th. We were the first of our friends to have kids, but not by much. The twins were a surprise souvenir from a vacation to celebrate my hubby going back to school to become a teacher. Starting a family will always throw your life some curves from your plans, enjoy the ride- there is nothing better!
  • merlegirl88
    Options
    I was 17 when I got pregnant, and 18 when I had my son! :)
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    I got married at 17..my first kid at 19 then again at 22 and 25.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was 27 when I had my first ,30 with the second, 33 with my last.and my mother had me {I was PLANNED} at 41! You do what is right for you and tell everyone else to....KISS YOUR FOOT!!!:drinker:
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My ex and I had our first son when I was 20 and she was 23, and our second when I was 24 and she 27.
  • AJs_Journey
    Options
    I had my first at 23 my second at 25 and my third and 27. that being said I would have waited if I knew then what I know now. I think its totally reasonable to wait. My brother and his wife waited so I think you should do what is right for you!