Post Breastfeeding Moms...

Options
I have 4 kids and just finished nursing the last one in September. Since then, I have gained 9 lbs. and it didn't hit me that the weight gain might be due to me no longer nursing. I didn't have this issue with the other three, but I am older and it was another pregnancy, c-section and round of nursing. Has anyone else GAINED weight since no longer breastfeeding? If so, what have you done to lose that weight?

Replies

• mom2scc
    mom2scc Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    im actually trying wean my daughter and we down to two feedings. i have notice i hit a hard place right now trying to lose weight so that a good question. i have lots most my pregnancy weight but got about 24lbs more to go. i have also i had two c-section and breastfeed both my kids, i lost 64lbs doing zumba but now stuck so i order p90x because im having trouble toning my belly and losing those last pounds. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think I gained weight after weaning, but I don't weigh myself that often. But to lose the weight, you would have to create a larger caloric deficit by eating less or exercising more or a combo of both, like anyone else.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing but I hardly make any milk not even oz. I have 5 kids. I'd love to add you!!
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!
  • laurajplus4
    laurajplus4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weaned my youngest a year ago... over that year, I gained 20+ pounds. And here I am :)

Would.love to add some support by way of friends ;)
  • philly1980
    philly1980 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, but how did you guys actually manage to wean them. My 14 month old is a booby fanatic, still nurses heaps at least 3-5 times in the day and then another 2-3 at night. I'm a big believer in letting the baby lead things but any suggestions to help "encourage" her away from the boob would be wonderful!

Oh and she just seems to eat constantly when she isn't breastfeeding she is snacking, drinking water from a sippy cup or having her breakfast, lunch or dinner. I feel that our day revolves around her eating lol
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    you've done amazingly well philly, to get to 14 months.. all babies are different, my first I BF til 4 months, she had 1 bottle of formula and that was it, she refused to take the boob ever again.

2nd baby I BF for around 10 months, I got pregnant again and I guess this affected the taste, he didn't want it anymore, and didn't want formula either, so switched to 100% solids.

3rd baby I bf for 6 months approx, then I started taking some nasty meds and couldn't BF anymore - she is happily drinking her formula and eating solids.

I wish you luck... it's def no one-size-fits-all when it comes to weaning babies.. but again I think you have done really well getting this far!!
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well, seeing that on MFP I get 200 additional calories a day for breastfeeding an older child (2-years old next Monday and still BFs like a champ) I would imagine that if my daughter weaned and I continued to consume 200 extra calories each day, over a period of time I would see some weight gain. It does make sense.
  • laurajplus4
    laurajplus4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Philly, Honestly? For me it was tough. My baby was almost 2, and my hubby and I actually planned a 5 day vavaction away from him with the hopes that he would wean. It worked, but not long after, he was back up to 3-4 sessions a day. January (2011, he turned 3 in Sep. '11) was when we finally broke it. I just offered less, he asked less. Now, at 3 1/2, he still nurses at bedtime and sometimes once more in the day. It's tough, and even moreso when you know it's your last baby :)
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm having a heck of a time losing any weight WHILE nursing. I increased my calories from 1200-1300 to 1600-1700 and have gained. So depressed. My baby is 21 months and nurses 3-4 times a night. Anyone else in the same boat?
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I did gain like 5 lbs after weaning. But I adjusted calories lower and kept working out and 2 months later started losing again
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I didn't lose much weight the first 6 months of any of my kids, then it just clicked and I started losing. I seemed to get in a good rythm with my last little one and lost all the weight I pretty much wanted. Just wanted to tone after that. He nursed until he was 13 months old, then started sleeping through the night and that was the end of nursing. I was sad that it ended so soon.

I did not eat MORE after the nursing ended, I still worked on maintenance and working out. I think my new job and change in routine might have added to my weight gain. Then I realized that, hey, maybe it was the end of nursing.

I hope I will start losing again. 2 months of no movement. Maybe this month!
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm still breastfeeding and hoping to reach my goal weight before she weans - she's 6 months now and I hope to breastfeed until 1 year. I've already wondered how my body will react once she's weaned, that's why I'm hoping to be in maintanence mode before then and hopefully will be able to adjust my caloric intake easily when needed. I just hope that it doesn't get too difficult and gain too much weight back. I'm looking forward to seeing replies so that I can have a good plan in place.
  • maryhdasilva
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding, my baby will be 8 months in two days, I only have lost 4 pounds since my C-section post op check up. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, also doing Zumba. I know that is just not enough. My caloric intake was pre-pregnancy 1200 daily and now that I'm breast-feeding is 1700 daily. I have 20 pounds to lose I often feel discourage too : ( , its sad that I only have lost 4 pounds in 8 months.

Mary (mother of 3 boys)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight between breastfeeding and walking.... when she weaned it started creeping back on, and it's because I had gotten comfy with the extra calorie cushion. I nursed my first for 19 months and my second for 23 months, so it was hard to adjust to not having that extra demand, and I never really thought about it at all.

Journal, journal, journal... make sure you're eating enough, and that your goals are adjusted to allow for the change in lifestyle... you can do it! :smile:
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race :) I'm still breastfeeding my son, 2 and a 1/4 years old. Set your weight loss to 1lb a week, eat some of your exercise calories back. If you've been super strict with yourself then have a cheat day to get your body working again. My cousin-in-law is a P90X coach, check out this article

http://teamwarriorbody.com/nutrition/healthy-eating-tips/5-ways-to-break-through-dreaded-weight-loss-plateaus/
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing my youngest who will be 4 in May. I have been nursing for over 10 straight years without a break so no idea what will happen when he weans. He is only nursing 2-4 times a day (mostly for naps and bedtime, but once in a while during the morning cuddles, too). I am not even counting nursing calories as I don't even know how much I am producing. I just make sure to drink a lot. When he does wean, I will probably cut a bit down on my calories (or add some if I have plateaued) and see what happens. I wouldn't worry about it...just make sure you aren't eating as much as you were when nursing. That probably is what you have done since weaning and why you have put on weight.