Alternative to DeadLifts/Rows?

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
Hello!

I am doing the New Rules of Lifting plan. (Stage 1) I have a membership to LA Fitness and they have no barbells! Well they do, But they are all at benches and mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on them. Are there any machines that maybe i havent seen that work a similar muscle group? Or is there such thing as an assisted Deadlift like there are the assisted squats?

I really want to do them but I'm getting frusterated by the lack of tools.

Also, The only row machine that i can see is one where you use your legs and the seat slides back and forth on a rail. Im assuming this is for cardio. I know how to do dumbbell rows... are these as effective?

Sorry, i know that none of you know MY specific gyms equipment... i'd just like to be prepared for tonight!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    Options
    Bump! Please help! :(
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Nope. Go do the dead lifts. They will be impressed, I promise.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just go over to the area with the big scary men, and use the weights. You might feel embarrassed at first, but you'll realise that these guys are just doing there own thing too, and they don't care what you do. The free weight section isn't guys only, but sadly too many women have some fear of this area and don't use it.

Sincerely

One of the big scary guys!
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Try using an ez curl bar if all the other bars are being used up. Its shorter, but it will work. You can also use them to do bent over rows.
  • justdoit_steph
    Options
    I just started using the row machine and I also thought it was more like cardio. However, for me I could really feel it in my shoulders and back. I feel a whole lot more with this machine than the actual dumbbells. Especially if you put the resistance up really high. We also have some stationary row machine but I prefer the one where you sit and push with your legs.

ETA: I'm also scared of the big scary guys ;) The gym at work isn't so bad but when I went to Gym X they seriously intimidated me.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared by those guys, 150lbs isn't all that strong. ;)

For Deadlifting... there's really no alternative to a Deadlift. If you can find a bench that's open grab the bar off of it and find some open floor to Deadlift on. Dumbell DL's aren't the same.

Does the gym have a T-Bar row machine? It's a small machine that you load regular plates on. That's a pretty good alternative to Barbell Rows.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do they have a squat rack? First you should be doing real squats with that. Not sure what an "assisted squat" is. Second, use that bar for your dead lifts.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I'm not sure what your gym is like, but see if you can pay a trainer for one or two sessions or get one of the gym workers (preferably someone with the words "fitness" "helper" in their job title to a) get you in the weight room with those big scary guys and b) show you proper form. OR ask one of those big scary guys for help.
  • rogermedic71
    rogermedic71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dont let the guys intimidate you. There is no better strength training exercise than deadlifts.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    OR ask one of those big scary guys for help.

Totally agree!
    Should have added this in my post.

Also remember the guys are only scary in your mind, when really for the most part, they are just normal people (with big muscles) although of course you get the odd jerk anywhere.
  • katzblood
    katzblood Posts: 41
    Options
    On Tuesday I had to go ask a big scary guy which bar to use for deadlifts at my gym and he helped point me over to the squat rack. He was very nice about it. I'm very excited to go back today and do squats at the squat rack!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've found that the big scary guys are actually not all that scary. They are actually rather impressed by girls hanging in there with them. And, they are always more than willing to recuse a damsel in distress and show her how to do things.

And for rows - I personally prefer barbell rows over the bent over dumbbell rows.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're not alone--guys who want to deadlift at big commercial gyms have the same problem. Just grab a bar from an empty bench or from a squat rack, and move it to an open area where you can comfortably deadlift. As long as you put it back when you're done, nobody should mind (and every big scary guy I've ever met has been impressed by women deadlifting!).
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on them.

This made me lol.

You can deadlift with dumbbells if you want. These are typically done with your hands at your side.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just go over there and take the bar when it's not in use. Put a quarter down to show you are next in line if you must. Other than that, you can use dumbbells as well.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on ph.d.

You can deadlift with dumbbells if you want. These are typically done with your hands at your side.

No you can't. Not if it's because the guys scare you. Face this fear. It will subside quickly, I promise.
    :flowerforyou:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on ph.d.

No you can't. Not if it's because the guys scare you. Face this fear. It will subside quickly, I promise.
    :flowerforyou:

why not?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on them.

This made me lol.

This. You can use dumbells for both deadlifts and rows.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    One-armed Dumbbell Rows, T-bar rows, Inverted Rows, and Bent-over Rows can all be done as well.