sugar in fruit

Options
just wondering if there is fruit out there low in suagr. It seems like every time i have a piece my sugars sky rocket. Is this something i should be wary of. I dont eat any refined sugar either i am just not getting it

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    i wouldn't worry too much if the sugar you are getting is from fruit.
  • crystal84rose
    crystal84rose Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one. I love fruit and when I look at my red sugar numbers after eating fruit, I don't let it bother me too much since it isn't refined sugar.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no..sugar has no upper limit.

the only reason we say to not eat additive sugars, or things that have sugar added to them, is typically they are usually added to unhealthy high calorie foods. fruit is full of nutrients and fiber. sugar is not harmful to healthy humans. the only thing is its considered 'empty calories' and can cause dental caries.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Berries are lower in sugar than other fruits. But, really, if that's the only sugar you're eating I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody ever got fat from just eating too much fruit.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Lemons are low in sugar, which is why they taste like . . . lemons!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    And technically, avocados are fruit. Hardly any sugar, but lots of fat.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    whispers under breath - I like eating lemons straight sometimes.... lol
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    if when you say 'your sugars skyrocket' you mean your actual blood sugar, then yes I'd be concerned, but if its just on paper, and most of your sugar intake is natural, nutrient loaded good for you fruit I wouldnt worry about it. I'm type 2 diebetic and have been able to stay off medication for it for years with diet by limiting carbs like bread, pasta, potatos, etc, but I never worry about fruit.

That said, everyone's body is different. That might work for me, and not for you if you have some underlying issues.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Lemons are low in sugar, which is why they taste like . . . lemons!
    lol!
    And technically, avocados are fruit. Hardly any sugar, but lots of fat.
    Yeah half an Avocado has 1 gram of sugar according to todays mfp diary
    whispers under breath - I like eating lemons straight sometimes.... lol
    *whisper* me to. But don't tell anyone. Everyone thinks I'm weird when I'm sucking the lemon out of everyones water.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just eat in moderation.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My mother is diabetic (controlled by diet) and has to watch the quantity of fruit she eats because it will mess with her blood sugar, but if you are not diabetic and are getting the majority of your sugar from fruit I wouldn't worry. Even with being diabetic she still gets fruit in every day because it is healthy she just has to spread her quantities out over the day where I get all of mine in breakfast and dessert.
  • shawnadwyer
    shawnadwyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replys.... and i only like lemon when its with tequilla :)
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    berries, granny smith apples, grapefuit are low in sugars. if you are diabetic remember that every gram of fiber cancels out 1 carb.so eating fruit shouldn't be that big of a deal. like anything eat in moderation and do some research on low glycemic fruits.
  • DaddyofMEA
    Options
    Tomato, it's a fruit techinically and hardly any sugar or calories. Probably not what you're looking for but.... :)

I agree with what kalynpugh is saying. Can you clarify? Are you referring to blood sugars or the # of sugars in your diet?
  • DaddyofMEA
    Options
    berries, granny smith apples, grapefuit are low in sugars. if you are diabetic remember that every gram of fiber cancels out 1 carb.so eating fruit shouldn't be that big of a deal. like anything eat in moderation and do some research on low glycemic fruits.

This would depend on the type of diabetic as well and usually this information is good for low carb diets such as Atkins. Type 1 diabetics still have to be very concerned with the sugar intake no mater the fiber intake unfortunately.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it...
    if more than 85% of my sugar for the day comes from fruits and veggies it's okay
    there's nothing wrong with natural sugar :)
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    I'm not totally sure or know much about it since I haven't run into issues with diabetes as of yet (thank God!), but I think you can Google to see where different fruits rate on the glycemic index. My understanding is the lower on the index, the less it spikes your blood sugar? But I mostly don't worry about sugars from natural sources like fruit.
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar regardless of the source. Yes there are different types of sugar but your body can’t tell the difference. People dismiss it because it is from fruit, why? because it does have other nutritional value, however, it is easy to overdo it with fruit.