anyone starting Couch to 5K

Options
I just started the Couch to 5k program, is anyone just starting it as well, or want to do it with me? I need as much motivation as I can get, and I would love to motivate you too!

Replies

• jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually dowloaded one of the podcasts the other day. I should really start it. I've always wanted to be a runner. I am just so darn lazy.....Maybe a buddy would be the motivation I need.....
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I started it about three weeks ago (I'm just starting week four) and I figured I'd hate every minute of it...I've been pretty lazy in the fairly recent past....But I love it! Seriously, do it. It's worth every calf-burning minute. I went from barely able to run for sixty seconds without wheezing to running for 3 minutes without panting. All in three weeks! It's awesome! Granted, I still have a way to go, but every week you look at the schedule and say "There's no freaking way!" But then, you actually do it, AND do it without dying. It makes it all worthwhile.
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, I"ve always wanted to do this, too - just had a baby and wanted to get back into running again!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3, or will be today. I am not sure how I am going to do it, but I will sure give a try. I may have to be on this week for a while, lol
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I started it about three weeks ago (I'm just starting week four) and I figured I'd hate every minute of it...I've been pretty lazy in the fairly recent past....But I love it! Seriously, do it. It's worth every calf-burning minute. I went from barely able to run for sixty seconds without wheezing to running for 3 minutes without panting. All in three weeks! It's awesome! Granted, I still have a way to go, but every week you look at the schedule and say "There's no freaking way!" But then, you actually do it, AND do it without dying. It makes it all worthwhile.

Agreed! I am a week behind- just starting week 3 tomorrow. I am blown away by how my body has transitioned so well and how it's a challenge, but not nearly as impossible as I would have thought. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I guarantee that running is worth all the effort! I never thought that I would be able to run 20 mins without stopping but I did it. I started Week 6 on Saturday and that means that I will try my best to run for 25 mins later on this week.

Don't hesitate - start running :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I just restarted week one again today! I don't know how many times I've stopped and restarted at the beginning over the last few years. LOL

For the first half of the podcast, I was thinking, "This is a breeze, I should have started on week 2!", but by the second half I was glad I was only on week one. I don't know if it's the fact that I did it outside instead of the treadmill or what, but I was dying by the second half! I'll be out there again on Tuesday doin' it though!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I started that program back in Dec. and ran my first 5k in March. Now I'm working on a Half-marathon!

Keep going everyone. IT REALLY WORKS!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    visit any playground or school, anywhere kids can be found. What do they do? They run. They run for the pure pleasure of running. To feel the wind on your face, to catch your friends, to get to the monkey bars as fast as possible. No child has to be taught to run, they just do, for the pure pleasure of running.

My mom and I just re-started at week one (we were both sick for a couple of weeks) but I am so happy to be back at it... planning to run a 5K in November and I can't wait. Before I started this I hated all types of exercise and only thought of it as a necessary means to lose weight but now I just love to run. You know, for the whole two minutes straight I can manage to do it lol!! :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I thought at first that this was just a program made up by the members here, then I did some research and found out that it sounds pretty good! I'm going to try it starting tomorrow! I have recently started running a few minutes here and there, so I am going to give this a whirl!
  • kdanderson05
    kdanderson05 Posts: 147
    Options
    If you need an accountability partner please let me know, as I have just started this today and would love to motivate anyone that I can or help you through the rough times.
  • juanitagf
    juanitagf Posts: 22
    Options
    Congratulations on starting the C25K! It really works! I finished it last August and since have done 3 10k, 1 15k and a half marathon. I am currently training for my first marathon. Hang in there when the going gets tough. You can do it and you will be a runner!
  • toots99
    Options
    If you need an accountability partner please let me know, as I have just started this today and would love to motivate anyone that I can or help you through the rough times.

I do! I did it today for the first time. It was tough but I made it through without pausing once. :drinker: It says to do it three days a week with a day of in between, so I am picking Monday, Wednedsay and Fridays.
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Weed 2. I'd love to be able to encourage/celebrate/complain :tongue: with others doing the same thing. Maybe we could just start a new thread each week...????

Week one was hard for me to get through, but now that I'm in week 2, 60 seconds is easy! My legs have hurt, so I make sure to FOR SURE wait a day in between workouts. Yesterday was my second day on Week 2, and I ran for 2 minutes a couple of the intervals....yay!

I use Suz's Couch to 5K podcast..... you can find it on iTunes or www.kissmyblackass.org. Its hip-hop. You can find many others on itunes and online that have the cues and timing set for each week. They are great!
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was just checking out the C25K info and I'd really like to start it. Do you guys run on the treadmill or outside? Would it be ok to mix it up? I was thinking on running outside on a weekend day and using the treadmill during the week because I sometimes can't get outside during the week?
  • toots99
    Options
    I am sure either is fine...I do the treadmill.
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This program is great. I am starting week 5 day 1 tomorrow. Dreading that end of the week 20 min run but every time I don't think I can make it, I do! It is a great program for building you up slowly so you don't want to quit. Just remember when you jog to take it slow. I have lots of hills where I am so they have added to my pain but am keeping at it.

Good Luck and you can do it!!!
  • kdanderson05
    kdanderson05 Posts: 147
    Options
    Sounds great! I am doing mine on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays. I'm really liking this program and I'm not as sore as I thought I would be today, so that might be a good thing, or maybe I just need to jog harder. But I'm so excited to do this again tomorrow, and to see if I can do any better. I'm still working on my eating, but I am going grocery shopping tonight, and getting all set in that area. But in the mean time I'm taking a nap, because I was up late doing homework.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    WEEK 3 Day 1 completed tonight!
    I did it! I really didnt think I could go from 90 seconds to 3 minutes, But I did it! and it wasnt 'too'bad..
    Anyone else start a new week?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    WEEK 3 Day 1 completed tonight!
    I did it! I really didnt think I could go from 90 seconds to 3 minutes, But I did it! and it wasnt 'too'bad..
    Anyone else start a new week?

Me too! Just finished week 3 day 1 tonight... wasn't so bad, but certainly a challenge. But, I did it!! :bigsmile:

Edit: By the way, Tamishumate, I see your a Red Sox fan... awesome!! :wink: