bump
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump to read layers
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i like adding black beans, corn, and salsa instead of dressing!
  • jenbenster
    Options
    Just had a foodgasm today with my lunch!

Groovy Broccoli Salad
    1 head of broccoli florets steamed
    Some spinach [tossed in at the end of the broccoli being cooked]

Then whisk these all together and drizzle over the salad.

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon sauce
    2 cloves of garlic minced

YUMMY! I wish I had more broccoli to eat. It was so green, I felt like I was eating the pure essence of goodness.
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    I personally love barbeque chicken, so I take leftover barbeque chicken, shred it, and add peppers, onions, and hard boiled egg. You don't need mayo or anything like that because you already have flavor from the barbeque sauce on the chicken. I like it because it keeps me full for a while.:smile:
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Spinach, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and shaved almonds salad with a red wine vinaigrette.

Diced Cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives in plain greek yogurt. Can even add shredded chicken breast to make a healthy chicken salad.

I experiment alot with salads because you can add anything to it, kind of like eating a at a salad bar. I am all about texture when I eat because I like crunch but I stay low on carbs so I add almonds or garbanzo beans etc.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I get sick of salads too, so I started doing green smoothies. 2 cups dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc), 1 cup power fruits (blueberries, strawberries). I use frozen fruits to make it easier. The fruit has calories but it's nutritious, unlike salad dressing. Add enough water to keep it from being too thick (varies by the type of fruit), usually 1/2 cup.

If you want healthy salad dressings check out fatfreevegan.com. She's got healthy creamy ones made from nuts instead of dairy. She tries to eat a big salad for lunch everyday so she's got some ideas on that too.

***Oh, another trick***: Put high calorie dressings on the side, dip your fork in it, then grab a bite of salad. When I do this I use maybe 1/2 teaspoon of dressing instead of a whole tablespoon (1/6 the amount)!
  • redwards723
    Options
    Figure out what it is that you like most in your salad and add it. I find that I love greek salads so I add a little feta cheese a few olives maybe cone chick peas just to change it up. Salads do get boring and need a kick so find what you like and add it in moderation.
  • redwards723
    Options
    Great tip I am going to try it. Sounds great.
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    2oz Light feta cheese, lettuce, light champagne vinaigrette, grape tomatos.

Lettuce, tomato, avocado, fat free refried beans, ground meat (turkey or beef), taco seasoning, light sour cream, sprinkle of cheese, salsa (taco salad) :)
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Look up a recipe for Tabbouleh salad. It's a Lebanese salad with parsley as the base.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I usually have a similar salad when I eat salad and it is filling and very tasty:

Spring mix lettuce
    grape tomatoes
    cucumbers (not peeled)
    can of oil packed tuna
    olive oil
    red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
    feta and/or kalamata olives

This isn't really a low cal/low fat salad, but thats how I eat. It is filling and very good.

Also, avocado on salad is good, make some guac!
  • Chereallyx
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions xx
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    First of all, never use iceberg. The stuff has practically no nutritional value whatsoever. Instead for something dark and leafy. Romaine lettuce, collard greens, and spinach are my favorites. Top with grilled chicken, slivered carrots, tomatoes, a mix of olive oil and red wine vinegar, green onion, Parmesan cheese, and crushed red pepper. Yum!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has this "Super 8 veggie blend" stuff that is a bunch of veggies chopped up... throw that in your salads.

I use lots of different greens... this week, it's arugula... and throw in occasionally raisins, or some seeds, or chopped up tempeh, or the super 8 mix. Peppers are good, too. chunks of apple are also good, with the raisins.

Dark green leafies are more concentrated, but iceberg DOES have nutrition, it is just half as much, by weight, as a dark green lettuce... so you would have to eat twice as much. Iceberg makes a nice crunch, but it's good to balance it with dark greens, too.

Oh, totally random factoid. If you ever get hit with food poisoning, eat an entire head of iceberg lettuce. It will help immensely to clear your system out.
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Canned red salmon!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    tonight we actually had salad for dinner - green leaf lettuce, spinach, carrots, radish, sunflower seeds, chopped up morningstar farms chik patties, and i used fat free honey dijon dressing.
    i use different meats (canned tuna or salmon, pork, chicken, beef) and whatever veggies i have in the fridge... i also like to add in chopped almonds, raisins or craisins, fresh tomato, red onion, whatever i get in my produce box!
    for dressings, i use full fat whenever possible.. lately ive been mixing ranch with a jalapeno greek yogurt dip i found at costco. its amazing!
    have you ever made homemade taco salad? i love making taco meat with ground turkey and my homemade taco seasoning - tossing it on some romaine with salsa and some sour cream (or plain greek yogurt) - maybe some avocado and anything else youd put on tacos.. i never even make the crispy shell.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    My favorite is....crasins, goat cheese or any soft cheese and either walnuts or slivered almonds. A little higher in calories but worth it! I just make sure I measure everything so I don't go overboard. For the dressing I make the good seasons packet with balsamic!
    The only problem with any suggestion like this is, if you are just starting out and you are on the 1200 cals a day, cheese is pretty much out of your reach. Dried fruit is pretty calorie dense, also. When I first started I needed a lot of food all the time. I lived on celery sticks (by the pound) cucumber slices (ditto) carrots, apples. I was hungry but eating all the time. You can't tell a newbie to have some almonds. That's like 25% of their calories for the day. Eat 5 pounds of celery. Then have some more, then have a low cal lunch. Vegetables are the key. Eat and eat and eat some more of them. They give you something to chew on, something to distract you, and you cannot overdo them. Then your stupid body starts to adjust. You'll be okay. you can get through this.

I eat cheese like every other day. I eat raw goat cheese but I only eat an ounce and my calories are just fine. in fact, i usually come in a little under. You just have to watch portions and count your calories.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, tomato, and onion are the base ingredients I use.

Things I like to add include:
    * roasted pumpkin and potato +cous cous (really, really good)
    * beetroot
    * avocado (YUM)
    * cheese
    * chick peas
    * sundried tomatos
    * pickles
    * meat (e.g. shredded chicken breast, tuna etc.)
    * carrots
    * celery
    * cabbage

EDIT: fruit is really yummy in salad too -oranges, grapefruit, apples, grapes..!
  • waanju
    waanju Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Use salsa as dressing. It gives it spice and actually ends up lower cal than traditional dressings.