Do people's avatars make a difference to how you see them?

Options
For example, if they have a picture of themselves, do you judge them for their weight even though this is a weight-loss/fitness website, do you prefer friends who have a slimmer body.

And does it make a difference if their avatar isn't of them at all?
<<< Such as.

Curiosity :)

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    They don't especially matter to me. I mean, I look at them and I like seeing what people put up. I actually like the ones that are of something different (a bunny, a neuron, a microscopic image of testicular tissue) simply because they are different and they might tell me a tiny something about the person's likes and personality. But otherwise... not really.
  • hamsaurus
    Options
    I don't think much of it. I just used a picture of my cat because I don't have any recent pictures of myself hanging around. I barely have any pictures of myself after 16 years old, so kitty it is.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me ( I have my fave hockey player up atm, just because I love the sport and the team). I look at how people are / interact on the forums--if they're funny, witty, have good advice, etc...not by the pic they put up.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    Not at all...
    I typically have an inspirational saying and such...
    Just put my own photo up a while ago... I will probably switch it up when I find another great saying!

THE ones that I don't get.. are when they put up an old SKINNY photo of them, asking how to lose 50+ pounds... people saying YOU DON"T NEED TO LOSE THAT MUCH... because the photo is skinny....
    If that makes sense???!!!
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me. It would be nice to know who you are talking to even if it's not their profile picture but at least one picture of them under the picture section. However, I still have friends on my list that I haven't seen a real picture of and I'm okay with it.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I actually like to have a mixture of both overweight and fit friends on here. Seeing someone fit makes me think "Ok they did it so I can too" and seeing someone overweight makes me think "They are going through the same thing I am right now."
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't really care unless the person has a picture of a character that I like or something and then I gravitate to them, because I know we have more in common in addition to diet & fitness.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Obviously since I haven't put up a pic of myself, so I'm not bothered by it. Avatar pics are just an easy way to instantly recognize someone. The only thing that bugs me is the generic blue outline. At least put up a pic if something clever or interesting to you!
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nope. I rather like seeing all the different ones people come up with!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    No matter what someone's avatar is I'm still going to remain friendless so I pay it no mind.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    This is me and I expect everyone else to put a photo of themselves as well.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    They don't especially matter to me. I mean, I look at them and I like seeing what people put up. I actually like the ones that are of something different (a bunny, a neuron, a microscopic image of testicular tissue) simply because they are different and they might tell me a tiny something about the person's likes and personality. But otherwise... not really.

I'd much prefer if it wasn't a grainy microscopy pic though so I can decide what I think the markers used are. Phalloidin, DAPI, something nuclear?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    This is me and I expect everyone else to put a photo of themselves as well.

Aw, you're so cute!
  • BlondeToast
    Options
    It helps me to see who might be similar to me in terms of progress etc without having to go into everyone's profile! Laziness really...
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think their chosen avatar is an example of how they want people to see them. I'm not judging them for what they look like, but for example if they have a photo of a girl that's all skin and bones (when it's not actually them) I'm going to think that they probably aren't very healthy.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I hardly pay attention to the avatars when I respond to threads. I recognize my friends' because I see them on my feed.
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Avatars don't make a difference to me. I put up a pic of my daughter and I on one of our hiking adventures. It makes me smile every time I look at it and remember all the fun we had.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Hmm, it's a bit of a mix. Might just stick with the rabbit, personally. Haha.

Nice to know what you guys think, though ♥
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Never thought about it. That's me from the surf city half. I do some acting and the only other photos I have are all modely or headshots. Not really appropriate since they look really good (AKA not much like me). My choice to use myself and not just a photo I liked from the internet was because I was worried about copyright. Is that silly? I don't care what you put up there I'll be your friend, you can see my food diary, it's all good.:flowerforyou:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I like your bunny.