Women who lift weights ??? Advice please

Options
13»

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It's certainly easier in the gym, but it can be modified to do at home.

And the book will explain to you exactly why the "more reps less weight" is completely bogus. :)
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!! I have only been working out about 4 months and never before in my life!
    I really enjoy the cardio and had some weight lifting (machine weights) sessions with a personal trainer (courtesy of joining the gym) but I didn't really like it. After reading this, I believe I will give it another shot.
    I have a lot of weight to lose~about 70 lbs~but am wondering can I still do the weights now with the cardio and if so, are free weights or machine weights better?
    (Thanks for letting me ask additional questions besides the original post :flowerforyou: )
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't way more than fat, it's denser. a pound is a pound is a pound the world around

keep lifting, you cannot bulk like a man can eating on a calorie deficit and including cardio as well, and you don't have enough testosterone either, keep lifting, you will look better after a big weight loss, not just a blob of skin who has only done cardio and has loss a lot of muscle mass
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    First it is VERY hard for women--or even men for that matter--to bulk up. It takes a lot of strength training over time to build any significant amount of muscle. The professional body builders spend hours a day at this. They also have ultra low body fat so their muscles are more visible than will be true for most of us.
    There is a downside to NOT strength training. if you don't challenge your muscles, starting in your 30's you will begin to lose muscle mass. Since muscles are the powerhouse of your metabolism Less muscle means it takes fewer calories to maintain your weight and gaining becomes easier. No joy there!

I have been doing weight training for years and don't have any bulky muscles. It became so much more important since I got out of the wheelchair. I have kept my weight off, lost inches and , more importantly, become stronger, more flexible and totally independent.
    Good luck!
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're pretty new to weightlifting, you can get a nice program on the body for life website. They detail the exercise, the repetitions, the weight, etc. If you're wanting to tone up, and lose weight - heavy isn't where it is at. Lower weights (but still challenging at the end) and higher repetitions is going to be anaerobic, as well as aerobic exercise. You will benefit from this, and if you're looking to lift heavy - this is where you will make your gains.

As for bulking way up. Women don't have the testosterone levels in their bodies to bulk up as much as their male counterparts. You will develop nice, lean muscle mass. Don't let the body builders of the world throw you off, yes they are incredible! Yes, they probably look more muscled than you'd ever want to look - but that is during competition only. They follow a very strict diet to get them down to posing weight to show off their hard work. In the off season, they're just strong beautiful ladies :)
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I wish I knew who started this myth that if a woman starts lifting weights, she will "bulk up" and look like Arnold Schwarznegger. I have been lifting weights for years and know that it is very difficult to amass large amounts of muscle.
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Someone seriously needs to ban the muscle weighs more than fat phrase. A pound is a pound whether it is muscle, fat, water, or food. The truth is muscle helps burn more calories than fat. So lift weights and you may stay the same weight or gain a few at first but in the long run, your metabolism will increase.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop arguing about muscle weighing more than fat. I've only "met" ONE person who didn't understand that one pound always equals one pound, and that the phrase "by volume" was implied. :wink:

I also wish more people understood how hard it is to gain muscle, and that a stall or gain on the scale while on a calorie deficit is much, much more likely fluid retention than putting on muscle. But that's what threads like this are for. :smile:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!!! I have only been working out about 4 months and never before in my life!
    I really enjoy the cardio and had some weight lifting (machine weights) sessions with a personal trainer (courtesy of joining the gym) but I didn't really like it. After reading this, I believe I will give it another shot.
    I have a lot of weight to lose~about 70 lbs~but am wondering can I still do the weights now with the cardio and if so, are free weights or machine weights better?
    (Thanks for letting me ask additional questions besides the original post :flowerforyou: )

Go for it. Free weights are better. Do your cardio on days you don't do weights.
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess -- stop worrying, keep lifting!!! :-D

This!!!
  • mandiemahoney
    mandiemahoney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)

1. It is next to IMPOSSIBLE for girls to "bulk up". You don't have enough of the right hormones. I lift heavy-ish (I do not suffer from pink weight syndrome), and all it's done for me is to look more toned at 150 pounds than I did at 145.
    2. Who the hell cares what the number on the scale says if the image in the mirror is a lightly muscled goddess? You are the only person who ever sees the number on the scale...everyone else just sees what you look like. So...does it matter?
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options