Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Blah I'm short 5' 3" and 18-20% BF - I'm not gonna wait a year to get cut. I got my endurance and running speed up rapidly on a net 1220 calorie diet (went from running 1 mile to 10 miles, and from 11 min miles to 6 min miles in TWO MONTHS while losing 29 lbs).... so I doubt 1600 isn't enough...
    And do you know how much of even the highest protein foods (whey, eggs, etc) you would have to eat to eat enough to damage your kidneys? At 1600 calories I'm finding it impossible to even meet the recommended amount for building muscle....
    For starters no male should be consuming 1600 calories even during a cut.

Protein at 1g per pound of lbm.
    It's a lot harder to gain muscle than it is too lose fat.

Good luck with your muscle atrophy goals for 2012.

Lol at "I am not going to wait a year."
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I went over by about 35g the other day, 22g another day, 12g today..
    Just love chicken and egg whites I suppose
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    We'll see in a month.
    Blah I'm short 5' 3" and 18-20% BF - I'm not gonna wait a year to get cut. I got my endurance and running speed up rapidly on a net 1220 calorie diet (went from running 1 mile to 10 miles, and from 11 min miles to 6 min miles in TWO MONTHS while losing 29 lbs).... so I doubt 1600 isn't enough...
    And do you know how much of even the highest protein foods (whey, eggs, etc) you would have to eat to eat enough to damage your kidneys? At 1600 calories I'm finding it impossible to even meet the recommended amount for building muscle....
    For starters no male should be consuming 1600 calories even during a cut.

Protein at 1g per pound of lbm.
    It's a lot harder to gain muscle than it is too lose fat.

Good luck with your muscle atrophy goals for 2012.

Lol at "I am not going to wait a year."
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I went over by about 35g the other day, 22g another day, 12g today..
    Just love chicken and egg whites I suppose

That's probably nothing to worry about. In fact it's better for your diet to have that lean protein.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    no problem at all going over your protein! That should never be a concern! Your body will only absorb so much anyway! What you should worry about is not getting enough protein!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such thing but I highly doubt you have to worry about it, especially if you're eating in a calorie deficit.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The only time you can eat too much protein to the point of where it has negative affects on your kidneys, etc. is if you are consuming an ungodly amount of protein in one sitting. Like eating 500g of protein in ONE meal, and you'd have to repeatedly do that over some time for you to damage kidneys and other organs.
  • charpera
    charpera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible to go over and have some issues with it. However, back when I was in high school my body ran off of ketosis (basically when your body runs off of protein and not carbs, If you end up taking 20 - 30 grams more a day that's not that big of a deal. Its when you start getting into the 300 grams per day which is bad for you. I went and saw a nutritionist which said that the reason I was so tired all the time was because I was eating ALOT of protein and hardly any fats. So try to eat a good amount of carbs, eat good fats like from fish, and get a good amount of protein but dont overdose it.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    When I was in one of my beefcakes modes in college I'd eat 300 grams a day .... and felt like crap and my poop was black and I was constipated all the time - I got big fast though (gained 25lbs.... in A MONTH) but for someone who was 5'3" 140 lbs I think it was excessive.... so I wouldn't worry about eating too much - your body will tell you :).
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as too much protein?? When a cow is sitting on your chest - YES.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Both... but my bench went up 50lbs for reps and that's all I cared about back then (I was one of those guys who worked out chest 3x a week and biceps and maybe shoulders once a week so prob that's why my bench went up so fast... curling 20lbs and benching 185 lol).... I was also.taking creatine but I'd say I only gained 5 lbs from it cuz by the end of the first week on creatine I had gained 10lbs...

When I was in one of my beefcakes modes in college I'd eat 300 grams a day .... and felt like crap and my poop was black and I was constipated all the time - I got big fast though (gained 25lbs.... in A MONTH) but for someone who was 5'3" 140 lbs I think it was excessive.... so I wouldn't worry about eating too much - your body will tell you :).

25lbs in a month... explain, fat, muscle... both what??
    [/quote]
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Blah I'm short 5' 3" and 18-20% BF - I'm not gonna wait a year to get cut. I got my endurance and running speed up rapidly on a net 1220 calorie diet (went from running 1 mile to 10 miles in a month, and from 11 min miles to 6 min miles in two months while losing 29 lbs).... so I doubt 1600 isn't enough...

i hope you were eating more than 1220 on a day you ran 10 miles. Plus adding that much mileage in such a short time span could also be terrible if your not getting proper nutrition. Just think how much better you could be running with better fuel, aka Calories.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    if you eat too much, which by what you're saying sounds fine, you might get constipation, but nothing a little fibre can't fix, I don't think the OP is worried about cancer if she eats too many eggs.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Totally unrelated to the topic but I was getting maybe 60 grams of protein when I started running.... and I was eating all the calories I burned during the runs.... but even with the low protein and Cal's I still increased my endurance and speed so I don't think I was malnourished (1/3 of my long route is 45 degree hills and that requires muscle and my fastest mile pace dropped from 9 min/mile to 5:50 mile!) - I'm at 1600 now and lifting again don't worry.
    Blah I'm short 5' 3" and 18-20% BF - I'm not gonna wait a year to get cut. I got my endurance and running speed up rapidly on a net 1220 calorie diet (went from running 1 mile to 10 miles in a month, and from 11 min miles to 6 min miles in two months while losing 29 lbs).... so I doubt 1600 isn't enough...

i hope you were eating more than 1220 on a day you ran 10 miles. Plus adding that much mileage in such a short time span could also be terrible if your not getting proper nutrition. Just think how much better you could be running with better fuel, aka Calories.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    #1, you really should evaluate how much your getting. For weight loss, the standard MFP values (%) is actually low. You should be getting at least 20% if not 25-30% of your calories from protein every day...

Protein is the only nutrient that provides muscle building amino acids, your body can't manufacture some of them, it has to consume them.

So, be happy if your getting protein over carbs because your providing your body what it needs to rebuild and sustain your muscle mass so that you keep your BMR running at a rate you can BURN...

If you lift weights, a small 'shake' of whey protein, or even just a glass of chocolate milk will help FUEL your muscles and provide recovery more quickly. Which will help your energy and build muscles.
    After weight lifting protein synthesis will be elevated for at least 24 hours so you don't need to have a whey shake. A meal whenever you can get to it will suffice seeing as nutrient timing is irrelevant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

And chocolate milk is better for endurance training seeing as weight lifting does not deplete glycogen stores.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22080318
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21904247

ANALYSIS OF GLYCOGEN UTILIZATION DURING TRAINING

"The carbohydrate requirements for weight training actually aren't that great. I did some rough calculations in The Ketogenic Diet and concluded that, for every 2 work sets (assuming a set length of 30-45 seconds) or so, you'll need 5 grams of carbohydrates to replenish the glycogen used." - Lyle McDonald, B.S. in Kinesiology

"In a study by Tesch et al. (1986), nine bodybuilders completed five sets each of front squats, back squats, leg presses, and leg extensions to fatigue, comprising 30 minutes of exercise. Biopsies of muscle samples were obtained from the vastus lateralis before and immediately after exercise. Muscle glycogen concentration was 26% lower post-exercise, a rather modest decline considering the demanding exercise protocol completed. This led the authors to conclude that energy sources in addition to muscle glycogen support heavy resistance training. Data from Essen-Gustavsson and Tesch (1990) with nine bodybuilders performing the same exercise regimen (as above) revealed a 28% decrement in muscle glycogen content as well as a 30% decrease in muscle triglyceride content. This suggests that intramuscular lipolysis (breakdown of triglycerides) may also play a role in energy production during repeated high-intensity exercise. Overall, research suggests that intramuscular glycogen is an important fuel supporting weight training exercise, but not the only substrate."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3758035
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2289498
  • capnwo85
    Options
    5:50 mi huh...that's pretty fast. ....
    Totally unrelated to the topic but I was getting maybe 60 grams of protein when I started running.... and I was eating all the calories I burned during the runs.... but even with the low protein and Cal's I still increased my endurance and speed so I don't think I was malnourished (1/3 of my long route is 45 degree hills and that requires muscle and my fastest mile pace dropped from 9 min/mile to 5:50 mile!) - I'm at 1600 now and lifting again don't worry.

• SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've read before that too much protein can actually cause muscle to break down and be more easily damaged, and that eating carbs with protein actually aids protein in keeping muscle strong and healthy. I don't remember if a ratio of carbs:protein was given in the information I've read, but my guess is that going over in protein isn't too bad unless you're going under in carbs. If you're tracking both and making sure you get enough of each, that shouldn't be too bad. Carbs get a bad rep but they do have a function and should not be eliminated.

This site is great for a number of reasons, but it's not perfect by any means. For instance, it allows you to track cholesterol, but there are two types of cholesterol - one of which is good and the other of which is bad - but this site doesn't tell you how much of which one you're getting. The best thing to do for anything you track is to try to plan ahead so you can balance out your meals according to the things you're most worried about keeping on target with. My biggest focuses are on limiting sugars and saturated fats. Sugars seems to be the impossible one for me, but so long as I am able to keep the number as close to the daily goal as possible, I'm satisfied.

Most people say calories is the most important thing to watch out for if you want to lose weight, so as long as you're within the recommended range for calories, you should continue to lose regardless of going over in protein :)
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Not for college atheletes :(... competitive is sub 4 so I'm no athlete

• capnwo85
    Options
    If you were a college *athlete you wouldn't be out of shape or running 9min miles or eating only 1200 cals a day, LOL
    waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg
    Not for college atheletes :(... competitive is sub 4 so I'm no athlete

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! and so sorry for posting about something already asked without searching!
    Most people here are just so friendly it's tempting to talk to you all (;