Going off birth control...what should i expect?

Options
Hey all,
So as you may or may not know last week i had terrible heart palpitation and went to the E.R.... They ended up just saying that i had an episode of tachycardia. I called my doctor who is more into the natural approach as possible and she told me that my birth control could be the cause. I know that some people have problems with it and i have been on birth control for almost 4yrs. I was unsure but my fiancee and i have also noticed that my mood swings are ridiculous! It is to the point where i am so emotional that i cry and yell and we fight over stupid petty things. I don't want this to ruin my relationship or our future marriage. He told me yesterday he will not leave no matter what. We are soul mate. Anyway, because of all this i am going to stop taking my pills and take the more natural tract ovulation and cycle route. I was wondering what happened to you guys when you when off birth control?
I have heard that people gain weight and that is a very scary thing for me. I really do not want to gain or get acne. Which i have also heard can happen. Anyone drink yogi women's moon cycle tea? Did it help?

sorry for the rant i just need some help and want to fix all this before it ruins my fiancee and my life. <3 Thank you all who can help.

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    some people lose weight, i did.
  • ozzcrow
    ozzcrow Posts: 7
    Options
    My implanon will be out in July. I'm excited to see if I lose weight more easily once I'm off. I've aways heard birth control makes you gain weight.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had very high heart rate with YAZ. I also became irrationally angry while on it, which was the final straw for me and why I went off of it. After I went off of it, I did lose some weight and got back a little energy, but nothing of significance. Mainly, I could exercise without my heart rate going over 230, which was nice.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    that's why I went off it.. made me moody.. When I went off of the pill it made my hormones crazy for a few weeks.. then I was fine.. I am sure everyone is different.
  • kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump

I have been wondering the same thing and would appreciate any feedback.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a ton of weight when I went off the first time.

The real reason I went off BC the first time around was because I was angry. All the time. At nothing in particular, either. As soon as I went off, my mood went back to normal.

I can't wait until hubby has his vasectomy and I can go off again!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Nothing happened with me except that my mood was more stabilized. I didn't gain or lose. I do get the occasional pimple now and then, whereas I used to have a totally clear complexion on the pill, but it was a small sacrifice to pay - I was a nutcase on the pill!
  • CrazyHedgehog
    CrazyHedgehog Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My implanon will be out in July. I'm excited to see if I lose weight more easily once I'm off. I've aways heard birth control makes you gain weight.
    ^ My implanon ran out, and I didn't get it removed straight away... night mare, hormones were up and down like a yo yo,
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    More than likely you will see a boost in weight loss. Birth control releases hormones that tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant, so it will hold on to more weight.
    When you go off you can experience weight loss more easily. You can also experience more acne breakouts (if you are prone to them), PMSing and all the emotional moodiness that goes with it (If you are prone to it), and heavier flow. This is true for any type of birth control.
    To avoid unwanted pregnancies, make sure to use condoms on top of counting days. Both my brother and sister were conceived using "bad Math" as my parents say. Of course no true method, a side from abstaining from s.ex will prevent pregnancy 100%.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I went on bc after about 3 months on mfp. I could not for the life of me lose weight on bc. I went off and am back to losing consistently!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was on low-dose estrdone (?sp) for a year while breastfeeding, then switched to BeYaz for two months. The second month was horrible- heart palpitations, chest pain, dizziness, leg cramps, etc. Finally put it together and stopped taking the D*MN pills.... even though my OB thinks it wasn't that.

I was HUNGRY for three days- couldn't eat enough. Then my appetite dropped to a normal level. It took a week for the side effects to disappear, but now I feel great. I'm not grumpy, etc. I'll probably go nuts once my TOM comes around, but I feel great now, and have had more energy, and been nicer to my family for the past few weeks.

Oh, and I lost two pounds during the super-hungry phase....... weird.
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am glad to know that i am not the only one who has experienced these symptoms. I am not sure if my doctor who i am seeing this week will have me finish my pack which ends late this month or go off asap. I will keep you updated.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    a baby?:wink:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I lost weight within the first month. It took about that long for my hormones to stabilize, so for that month I kind of felt like I had PMS the entire month. One minute I was sad, the next angry and the next I was happy. I had weird cravings and some acne. It was kind of rough and that was when I decided I would NEVER, EVER take hormonal birth control again. Oh and It did take my periods a few months to go back to normal too.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    please do not use the cycle method to determine when sex is "safe" unless you want a child. that method doesn't work at all! invest in a pack of condoms.

going off the birth control, you should lose a little weight. your periods will be irregular at first, usually they'll last a little longer than usual the first few months. you may get headaches or mood swings from the change in hormone levels. one of my friends had some hair loss, but it was only temporary. her body was really sensitive to hormonal changes.

good luck!
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'd like to see answers.

I have Implanon and really want it out. It has to come out in 12 months anyway so I'm thinking of getting it out sooner rather than later. Since getting it in I've gained around 1.5-2 stone and honestly I don't know if it's the implant or if I would've gained it anyway but I'm interested in whether I'd lose weight more easily once I'm off it. Even if it all comes down to psychologically finding it easier it would be a bonus.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I can't wait until hubby has his vasectomy and I can go off again!

^^^ Me too!!^^^^
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    I've been able to lose weight both on and off the BC, but my perception is that my mood and energy levels have been better since getting off which makes losing weight easier I think. Also have a lot less headaches. Who knows . . . it could all be in my head. Other than heavier and less predictable periods, the change was positive.

I decided to quit it since we may TTC later this fall and wanted to get my cycles back to normal well in advance while losing weight. Plus with my family history of high blood pressure and my scare with Pre-E during my last pregnancy, it just doesn't seem worth the risk anymore.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was off the pill for 6 months after my divorce (no need to be on it, and it was making me moody as heck, just like you say you are)...and man, I felt great! I dropped a few pounds without putting any effort forth and my moods improved. I wish I didn't have to be on the pill, but unfortunately I think an unplanned pregnancy would be too much for me to handle right now with full time work and grad school...so I will deal with the mood swings...LOL

Also, I had acne before going on the pill...and when I came back off, I only noticed a spare pimple here or there. No volcanic eruptions of acne. :wink:
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    bump!