First Half Marathon... and obese

Options
taramaureen
taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
If I can do this with all the hell my body's been through anyone can. I've been training for this since November. Then two weeks ago I colapsed and wound up in the hospital for 3 days, losing a week of training. I ran 8.5 miles last weekend and it went well so I decided to go ahead with the half (electrolite imbalance). I'm so glad I did. My goal was to do it within 3 hours... didn't happen. I was short by 4 minutes. 3 hours 4 minutes. Miles ranging from 12:58 to 15:01. If I had been able to keep all my miles under 14:40 I would have made my goal but I got super tired the last 4 miles or so. It's OK, though because I gave my all and that's all that matters! Going to give myself time to recover and then on to more training. I plan to do a marathon at the end of this year.

my new favorite finish line pic!
29vdlkw.jpg

Replies

• taramaureen
    Options
    aack I'm fixing the pics now LOL
  • sweetsierra
    Options
    Wow! That IS inspiring! Way to go! If you can do that now, just think what you will be able to do later! :)
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Wow! That IS inspiring! Way to go! If you can do that now, just think what you will be able to do later! :)

True with enough training! :D
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing job!!! Very inspiring!!! I just did my first 5 k last weekend, my next goal is half marathon
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Wow, amazing job!!! Very inspiring!!! I just did my first 5 k last weekend, my next goal is half marathon

Thanks! Congrats on your first 5k!

I jumped right from 5k to half as well. Honestly I'm glad I skipped the 10k. You can do it! Just stick to whatever training plan you're going to use and power on through!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I jumped right from 5k to half as well. Honestly I'm glad I skipped the 10k. You can do it! Just stick to whatever training plan you're going to use and power on through!

That is excellent to hear!! Keep going and anything is possible! I am currently training for my 4th half and until this one I have been obese for each one... I am just overweight now
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's amazing! We're thinking of doing our first half marathon in November and you've really inspired me to give it a go.
  • taramaureen
    Options

That is excellent to hear!! Keep going and anything is possible! I am currently training for my 4th half and until this one I have been obese for each one... I am just overweight now

That's so awesome! I hear people say "I can't do it because I'm too fat". And I think it's BS. Train for it, and you can do it!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Well done, that's amazing! We're thinking of doing our first half marathon in November and you've really inspired me to give it a go.

That's great to hear! November is plenty of time to train and do it right!
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great in that pic and I know you're going to do amazing in the next marathon! Way to go!
  • arrich02
    arrich02 Posts: 19
    Options
    Awesome. That's so encouraging to hear. I just ran my first 5K at 42: 47 I was pumped that I completed without having to walk, but kinda bummed about the time. Oh well there is always the next race to do better in (:
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I chickened out of my first 5K last weekend...:(!

After reading your post I am so inspired and plan to one day do a half too!!!!

Now....time to find a 5K!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great in that pic and I know you're going to do amazing in the next marathon! Way to go!
    Thank you so much!
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Awesome. That's so encouraging to hear. I just ran my first 5K at 42: 47 I was pumped that I completed without having to walk, but kinda bummed about the time. Oh well there is always the next race to do better in (:

That's a great time for your first!!! My finish time for my first was right around there. You WILL do better next time, just takes practice.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    I chickened out of my first 5K last weekend...:(!

After reading your post I am so inspired and plan to one day do a half too!!!!

Now....time to find a 5K!

Aww :( Find one, do one and you'll be hooked after that. You CAN do it!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should be extremely proud of yourself. That's an amazing accomplishment.

As far as your time goal...I guess you'll have to do it again in the fall ;)
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • dresser2000
    Options
    How inspiring! What a great accomplishment!

I am training for a half in June, and my first 5k is in April. I am a new runner, and ran a mile for the first time in my LIFE on Christmas Eve. Yesterday I ran for 3 miles, so I am progressing :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You are awesome and I am soooo glad you posted this. I have my first half coming up in a week and I'm starting to get reallllly nervous. There's a 3:30 minute time limit and I keep telling myself that if I take all 3:30, that's ok. Finishing it is what's important.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!