Binge Eating - HELP!

Options

Replies

• deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Is there something you have been wanting to eat that you are denying yourself that is causing an urge to eat EVERYTHING? Sometimes this happens to me. If this is the case, why not let yourself have it? Log it, exercise to earn it, eat it, and enjoy it! Sometimes this helps me stave off a binge.

This is a good suggestion! I've thought of this but I can't think of what it is I'm denying myself?? It must be something I miss...
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    staying busy and out of the kitchen and restaurants is what works for me. If I am out of the house doing other things I forget about food..and if I am home I stay busy getting things done. Also just don't buy anything that is too tempting...like sweets or junky snacks. If all you have to binge on is veggies, fruit, and turkey you won't gain weight from your binges! (plus generally you won't even binge on that stuff because you will actually feel full after an appropriate amount.)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Nothing really new to add to the previous posts excecpt congrats on your progress so far. Repeating what others have said I don't really deny myself anything as far as food goes. If I want burgers, pizza Olive garden or what not I try to plan it in, log it first and see how much exercise I have to do to stay under my limit. That way I get to eat what I want and it helps to keep me on the straight and narrow so to speak. I have found that denying yourself unrealistically is a great way to sabatoge any diet/lifestyle change (I've done it) , so don't do it. People usually want most what they can't have more than anything else, and if food is singing your name I'll chance it and say you are not allowing yourelf the pleasures of eating. Wha't the old saying....Eat and be merry. Food shouldn't be thought of as the enemy all the time, it is a delight, not just fuel. Moderate, log, plan and enjoy. Just my humble opinion.
  • deadmittens
    Options
    this weekend is a rough one for me as well... As much as i hate to say it I wish i were working rather than sitting 5 ft from the kitchen.... Go get a pedicure, ultra relaxing... I think I will do the same:-)

That does sound nice :)
  • deadmittens
    Options
    Nothing really new to add to the previous posts excecpt congrats on your progress so far. Repeating what others have said I don't really deny myself anything as far as food goes. If I want burgers, pizza Olive garden or whatnot I try to plan it in, log it first and see how much exercise I have to do to stay under my limit. That way I get to eat what I want. I do have to watch chocolates though. It is so easy to just gorge on them, one after another. Take a look at my diary if you want. The only other thing I have to be very stringent on is cakes and cupcakes. I am going drop a few more pounds before I tackle that beast.

That's what I need to do. Lately rather than trying to get back on track and exercise so I've earned my "bad food" I just get in the mindset of "Well I've already ruined my diet today, might as well keep going."

Chocolates are HARD to stop at just one!
  • catbeeman
    Options
    By no means have I been successful in keeping weight off - but I'm good at losing it. It helps me to eat small meals/snacks frequently, and it helps even more if those snacks contain equal amounts protein and carbs (about 25 grams). Now if I can practice what I preach . . .
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a tiny bit of the food I want. It's like one bite, and not a super big one, like a petite one. After the bite, I throw it away, then walk away. But, then again, I'm not a binge eater. So, I don't see how that would help you....stare down the food, think about how many calories that it would cost you instead of having a nice dinner/lunch/breakfast because you wanted that high calorie snack. I also eat a small chocolate bar in the morning, studies have shown with people who eat a piece of chocolate with breakfast kill cravings for the rest of the day, so they lose weight faster than the ones that eat chocolate/sweets throughout the day.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've gained a few pounds AND plateaued the last couple weeks, along with some diet fatigue, and I've had the urge to binge a lot more! And I do feel myself slipping into old habits. I think that not having the gratification of seeing the numbers drop on the scale is making my motivation and self-control waver, then I start thinking "Well if I'm gaining weight anyway, I might as well enjoy it!" which is basically self-sabotage. It all becomes a vicious cycle that I hope I'll get out of next week... I've already eaten all my calories for today and haven't even had dinner yet. UGH.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Just remember you've lost 84+ lbs and how miserable you were at that weight.
  • Tweety379
    Tweety379 Posts: 78
    Options
    I have been struggling with this on and off for about a year. Recently, I finally called it what it was and admitted I had a problem to my small group at church. It was kind of freeing to say it out loud. Now, I am trying to figure out what it causing me to want to eat even when I am not hungry. Once you can find out what is the root, you can work on that. I found I was turning to food when I really needed something else. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I am slowly finding my way out. Hope this helps!
  • LUVNME94
    LUVNME94 Posts: 34
    Options
    For me logging all my food, when I see the calories going up and no exercise to counter it, it drives me crazy, so that is what keeps me balanced. I know it is hard, after losing 68 pounds it has been a challenge for me because a part of you wants to eat again. You can resist the urge just remember how you felt when you were heavier, you don't want to go back to that, so that will also keep you from binge eating.
  • peapod1976
    peapod1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Often when we feel like that our natural gut flora can be out of balance, causing us to have more cravings.

Try taking a good quality probiotic before bed on an empty stomach preferably with bottled distilled water as your tap water may contain flouride which kills good bacteria.

You may notice a difference within a day or two.
  • Squirrel_52696
    Options
    I am a HUGE binge eater. I like my snacks. We have kids but you wouldn't know it to look in our pantry. We do not keep chips and the like in our house - primarily because of me. But I have kept myself in check by doing a few things:

1. I buy snacks for me - smart snacks. WW string cheese sticks, Jello fat/sugar free snack cups, 1/2 fat ice cream (HUGE fan), etc. Find your things you can't give up and don't deny them. Find healthier versions and measure out the servings in to baggies or snack cups. This way you won't be tempted to take another scoop, or 3, from the ice cream container.

2. Prepare. I make healthy snacks too. I eat my celery sticks (stuffed with a laughing cow wedge usually). I pre slice my veggies on Sunday for my snacks for the week. It really does help. But planning out your meals, and snacks for the week, helps. It doesn't mean that on Monday you'll have A for breakfast, B for morning snack, and C for lunch. It means that you have healthy options already picked out, prepared, and ready to go.

3. I eat about every 2 hours. You would think it's hard to do, but actually rather simple. An alarm on a phone or watch helps. I'm not talking full meals. For me, breakfast is the hardest meal to conquer. Getting up at 6am and preparing kids' lunches and breakfasts and getting myself ready at the same time. I don't want to eat so early in the morning after getting up. So I eat my breakfast over several hours: I eat within an hour of getting up - something small, like a cereal bar and maybe a little glass of non-fat milk to wash it down. 2 hours later, a piece of protein/fruit/or carbs (egg/orange/cereal), 2 hours later again, but I do not eat what I already consumed - but no double dipping (ex: no seconds on carbs). By lunch, I will have eaten a complete and full breakfast (all food groups). Repeat with my lunch (extending over several hours). Dinner is eaten as one meal. I find by dinner I am not ravenous, or even hungry enough to eat all that is on my plate in one sitting.

4. Have your snacks. After dinner, we have dessert, EVERY night. I LOVE ice cream, hence the reason why I pre scoop 1/2 cup snack cups ahead of time of a 'healthier' option. Jello pudding cups are great too (Cherry cheesecake - YUM!) I also have fruit sorbet tubes, frozen go-gurt, No Pudge brownies (these are a minute to mix and a minute to microwave 1 serving).

I've bought chips, cheese curls, and more at one time or another because I wanted them. The smart thing is that I always buy the healthier ones (baked lays) and I always put them in prepackaged, premeasured baggies for grab and go. With eating every 2 hours or so, I have found my cravings for these items to be way down. I've now gotten to the point where I RARELY want junkfood snacks. Even in instances where I have been up late at night at the store, and checked out with more than what I wanted (chips at checkout), I make better choices in choosing what to eat and I don't end up eating the whole thing. I think your tummy gets used to the ACTUAL serving size and your cravings subside after you've consumed it.

I should note that the 'prepackaged' sized that come from the manufacturers, like soda, is not usually for 1 serving. They can also be mismarked. I still can't figure out why the individual package of baked lays has more chips for 1 serving than what the big bag says 1 serving is.
  • LUVNME94
    LUVNME94 Posts: 34
    Options
    Stay strong flisafakto you don't want to go back. I actually gained weight this month because sadly I was not eating enough. When you hit these moments it helps to get advice from a nutritionist. Now I can feel and see that I am back on track. Do not get discouraged somethimes we have to go through these moments but we can overcome. I was an emotional eater so I truly know what you are going through. Just know that you are an overcomer and you will make it over this hump.
  • Squirrel_52696
    Options
    I should note that I have just figured this out in the last few months. It was what was sabotaging me in my weightloss. Now that I've got a system down and under control, my food log is under calories every night and I am starting to loose. My trainer tells me that eating so often helps your metabolism work at it's best also.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Food for thought. :D Your diary isn't open, so I don't know how much you are actually eating or how much you are exercising. However, I do have times when my body seems to SCREAM at me to eat. And, sometimes, I think it's because I NEED to eat more. Not junk food, but good stuff. So, I'll have a healthy "cheat" day, or just not worry about going over my daily goals by 100-200 calories a day for a week. Honestly, it hasn't hurt my weight loss progress.

Now the trick to this (I believe) is to eat extra good stuff and not succumb to eating what's readily available… that bag of chips, that bar of chocolate. Don't get me wrong. I have treats… typically chocolate… every day, but it's always in moderation.

But, if the only thing that "satisfies" you is junk food, then it probably is a nasty binge craving and you need to do your best to not cave it. Everyone's different. Some people can have a bad day and get right back on track, so no harm done. But, if you are one of those that giving in takes you immediately down a dark path, then best not to give in at all!

Best of luck to you!!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE binge eater. I like my snacks. We have kids but you wouldn't know it to look in our pantry. We do not keep chips and the like in our house - primarily because of me. But I have kept myself in check by doing a few things:

1. I buy snacks for me - smart snacks. WW string cheese sticks, Jello fat/sugar free snack cups, 1/2 fat ice cream (HUGE fan), etc. Find your things you can't give up and don't deny them. Find healthier versions and measure out the servings in to baggies or snack cups. This way you won't be tempted to take another scoop, or 3, from the ice cream container.

2. Prepare. I make healthy snacks too. I eat my celery sticks (stuffed with a laughing cow wedge usually). I pre slice my veggies on Sunday for my snacks for the week. It really does help. But planning out your meals, and snacks for the week, helps. It doesn't mean that on Monday you'll have A for breakfast, B for morning snack, and C for lunch. It means that you have healthy options already picked out, prepared, and ready to go.

3. I eat about every 2 hours. You would think it's hard to do, but actually rather simple. An alarm on a phone or watch helps. I'm not talking full meals. For me, breakfast is the hardest meal to conquer. Getting up at 6am and preparing kids' lunches and breakfasts and getting myself ready at the same time. I don't want to eat so early in the morning after getting up. So I eat my breakfast over several hours: I eat within an hour of getting up - something small, like a cereal bar and maybe a little glass of non-fat milk to wash it down. 2 hours later, a piece of protein/fruit/or carbs (egg/orange/cereal), 2 hours later again, but I do not eat what I already consumed - but no double dipping (ex: no seconds on carbs). By lunch, I will have eaten a complete and full breakfast (all food groups). Repeat with my lunch (extending over several hours). Dinner is eaten as one meal. I find by dinner I am not ravenous, or even hungry enough to eat all that is on my plate in one sitting.

4. Have your snacks. After dinner, we have dessert, EVERY night. I LOVE ice cream, hence the reason why I pre scoop 1/2 cup snack cups ahead of time of a 'healthier' option. Jello pudding cups are great too (Cherry cheesecake - YUM!) I also have fruit sorbet tubes, frozen go-gurt, No Pudge brownies (these are a minute to mix and a minute to microwave 1 serving).

I've bought chips, cheese curls, and more at one time or another because I wanted them. The smart thing is that I always buy the healthier ones (baked lays) and I always put them in prepackaged, premeasured baggies for grab and go. With eating every 2 hours or so, I have found my cravings for these items to be way down. I've now gotten to the point where I RARELY want junkfood snacks. Even in instances where I have been up late at night at the store, and checked out with more than what I wanted (chips at checkout), I make better choices in choosing what to eat and I don't end up eating the whole thing. I think your tummy gets used to the ACTUAL serving size and your cravings subside after you've consumed it.

I should note that the 'prepackaged' sized that come from the manufacturers, like soda, is not usually for 1 serving. They can also be mismarked. I still can't figure out why the individual package of baked lays has more chips for 1 serving than what the big bag says 1 serving is.

Great ideas! I frequently "pre-package" my snacks - even the celery and cheese ones - to keep me from going overboard and it makes logging easier, too.
  • Nika_gomez001
    Options
    I used to binge eat a lot. I would eat without even knowing it and when I'm done with the snack I'd feel so incredibly sick. I'm not bulimic because I don't bring it up, nor am I anorexic. But my biggest problem is that when I look in the mirror I hate what I see. For a very long time I was like the. I changed this though and I've been doing good so far. There are 3 things I do:

(1) when I feel hungry I drink water. Not only does this increase my liquid intake and keep me hydrated but it fills me up. Sometimes our cravings can be mistaken for dehydration. So I drink like two cups and wait a half hour, usually the hunger subsides.

(2) I chew gum. Harmless activity that tricks the mind into thinking that food is coming into the stomach. This way I know I'm not obstructing my diet, but still getting a kick out of a snack that I don't have to digest.

(3) I do something to distract myself. Paint my nails, go for a run, read a book, article or something else. That's the beauty of it, we often forget we need to eat once we do something else.

With these 3 simple techniques I've trained myself to ignore the evil that they call food. I've learned that my binging stems from my emotions. When I'm feeling emotional I eat. Maybe you should pay close attention to when your binges happen. This way you can prepare and try and safe-guard yourself. I now have a diary!! When I'm feeling emotional I write or call up a friend and ask to talk. Once I've gotten rid of the emotion I forget to eat. So I don't binge. It's not easy at first, but maybe you should give it a try. I look in the mirror now and love what I see :D
  • Nika_gomez001
    Options
    O I forgot to add, that if you have a craving see to it. You need just enough to make it go away. If you put it off all the time when you finally give in you will over indulge. So its okay to have a cheat day every once in a while. I also eat a lot more asian cuisine. It's healthy, filling and super delicious. I love stir fries because they quick and easy to make. And sushi is a kind of reward for me, yum.

xx
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This has been a horrible weekend for me and I mean horrible. My loves birthday celebrations seemed to stretch from thursday thru saturday. It was the first birthday of his that I got to spend with him as he only moved here in june. So we over did it,

I am talking myself back and looking at that ticker and reading 19lbs lost and thnking how hard it was to get there and do I really want to have to start all over?!

The answer is NO. I don't want to have to start over so I am starting NOW I am making my shopping list and I am going to the store, restocking my supplies then going to home depot to get some things I need for some chores around here and I am getting busy. I know that if I sit here and dwell or just do nothing the cycle will continue so I won't let it. By doing something taking deliberate steps to stop where I am now and get back on track I am taking control. Which is what I need to do as I am the only person responsible for my decisions and my actions.

I say be responsible for yours as well. Get motivated by taking deliberate steps to stop the binging in its tracks and get yourself back on track.

I know I can do it and I know you can too! You want the happy healthy life you were meant for so get it, reach out and grab it and don't let go!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: