Classes at the Gym----phobia

Options
2»

Replies

• MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Me personally love Gym classes (Spinning, yoga, Kickboxing) and they keep me motivated and push me harder than I would just working out on a machine.

But I definitely always sit in the back at first so no one can see how poorly i'm doing, once i get more confidant i head to the front.
  • MellyMartinson
    MellyMartinson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is this. Call your gym. Talk to whoever answers the phone. They do not have to know who you are. Just say I am a memeber and I want to start attending this yoga class or whatever class it may be. Ask if you have to sign up or just show up, what equipment if any you need to bring and if there are any other bits of info you may need to know. They should be able to help you. I am not a member of Golds gym but that is what I did when I started going to the classes at my gym. Also, I am too busy trying to concentrate on myself that I don't have time to see how everyone else in the class is doing. :) GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. I do go to the gym enough that one of the instructor people there knows me. I've just never thought to ask her! Probably because fear makes my brain freeze.

I was hoping to draw up the courage today, but I slept in late. Power outage in the middle of the night meant my phone (which has my alarm on it) died.

Anyway, I downloaded the Gold's Gym App and now I can look up the classes for each day. It's kind of a nice little app in addition to mfp. Has some motivation stuff, goal setting, and you can find out what classes are being taught near you at Gold's.

I'm going to text Danielle today and see if that gets me anywhere too. Thanks again!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I was scared too but now that's all I do now is classes! It's so much more fun than the elliptical!

I swear after you go the first time you'll be fine!

Ugh! Then answer her questions! What should she bring? How should she dress? Does she need to sign up? I don't know, I wouldn't do classes if you paid me, but if you think it would be something she'd enjoy encourage her by helping her with the things that are worrying her. That she won't have the right stuff or clothes, or she'll find out she needed to sign up and she didn't!

Wow! :grumble:

Anyway, I was trying to be encouraging! :flowerforyou: I don't go to Gold's Gym so I don't really know if you need to sign up for classes. Some others have given you good ideas for clothing options. I've sen people wear all kinds of outfits at teh gym. I agree that you should wear something that makes YOU feel comfortable. Also, I always like to bring a little towel to wipe my face off every so often.

I wish you good luck! I hope you find something you really love, it makes it so much easier to get to the gym when you are looking forward to the workout!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I belong to Golds and I love it. I have done a couple of classes. Like you I felt reluctant because I didn't think I could do the routines because I am so big and don't have the right clothes and people might laugh at me, etc..... I finally came to realize the if I didn't go and try I would never will be able to do the routines and never benefit from the great workouts. So I went on to body pump and water aerobics. I love them and I came down a size so I could buy some new workout clothes. My advise is to go for it! I started at the back of the class, did what I could, stop when I couldn't go on, caught my breath and started up again.:happy:
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love classes!!!! I have more phobia about going on the floor then taking classes. You will be fine just focus on your goals.
  • jodee_donavan
    jodee_donavan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wear workout clothes, bring a positive attitude, water bottle and towel and they will provide the instruction and supplies. If you're thinking Yoga- they will likely provide mats- but I like to bring my own. Don't be terrified- I promise you no one looks like the people in the videos! LOL- everyone is just trying to get through it!
  • piyubole
    piyubole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same phobia - had never been to a group class in my life!

but dont worry about it - whats the worst that can happen?

If you are worried about equiptment - call and ask ahead of time what you should bring
    If you don't know what to expect from the class - go early and ask the instructor, tell him/her you are new and they will show you modifications if you need them.
    If you are worried you will look stupid - think about how awesome you will look in that goal dress one day - and also - everyone in the class is doing the same thing you are so you can't look stupider than they look!

I know this because I thought ALL of these things about group classes - and did all of those things to allay my fears. Now i love group clases - its a GREAT way to keep in shape and do something different than the same old cardio :)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was so terrified to go, too!! I had all your same questions.

Go with your friend the first couple times. Pin her down, tell her your worries and make sure you go with her.

It helps a lot to have someone to giggle at when you do something wrong :)

As for the other people in the class, most are so friendly and will help you get what you need if you ask. They all had a first time, too!

For clothing, I hate to have my shirt fall open during push ups or something so I ALWAYS wear a tight fitting tank top underneath my regular workout shirt.
    And I have a weird thing where I dont like my pant legs falling to my knees during pike positions so I wear pants that are a bit thicker more sturdy material.

Just go! You'll be so happy you did. I know I was and I NEVER thought I would get enough courage to do it.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Classes are a lot of fun, so get in there and try one. I'd suggest that a spinning class may be the least intimidating as you are just sitting on a bike. It can be a very hard workout, but there aren't a bunch of different moves to learn, and the clothing is pretty basic...just some comfortable biking shorts or even longer type sweats & a Tshirt...doesn't have to be anything special.. That might get you over the phobia of taking that first step into a class.
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Love classes. I'm pretty sure I look like a tarantula who had a stroke in Zumba....arms/legs very non-coordinated...but who cares...there to exercise!!! And in Yoga I still can't do the harder poses....but that is ok....our gym has instructors that are very good at coaching and telling you to go at your pace...they emphasis not overdoiing it to try and look like a pro when your body isn't ready for it. Hope you enjoy whatever class you try. I will also say that I work harder in most classes...not overdoing it...but not quitting or walking away if I don't feel motivated like I have done sometimes with equipment.
    Good luck!!!!
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I am pretty much terrified of classes. I have no idea what to expect. What equipment I should bring? How I should dress? Do I need to sign up? What if I embarrass myself because I'm not coordinated enough? I want to take the Body Flow and/or Yoga classes and then maybe branch out to some of the "dancier" stuff. But I'm so freaking scared I can't seem to bring myself to talk to anyone about it.

What should I bring/wear to a yoga pilates type class?

Normally the gym provides you with mats, blocks and belts, stuff you need for the yoga. The instructor most likely will ask you to take your socks off, so you don't slip, so I like to make sure my nail polish is nice, but that's just me.

Wear something non restrictive, like leggings and a top that won't come up when you hang head down, so you don't feel embarrassed about your tummy showing, as some positions require you to bend over deep and support your weight with arms and legs. Other than that just yourself, so don't worry too much. If in doubt ask the receptionist, they should be happy to help you.
    Yoga can be hard if you never done it, but you will improve really quickly, so don't give up after the first class. I do yoga at least twice a week for 1 1/2 hours. :D

Enjoy!

Also for standing poses some instructors might ask you to roll your trouser legs up to, to improve your grip on yourself. Defuzzing before hand might be a good thing to do - also applies if you in other classes where you might be asked to do things on your back with your legs in the air (trousers fall down!).

If you can, turn up to sessions early, so you can ask questions of other people waiting for it and get a decent spot. Always let the instructor know you're new and of any health problems you may have.

Do take a bottle of water and a towel (your are expected to sweat and that's ok, buuuuuuuuuuut not so nice for others if you sweat over equipment and don't clean up after yourself).

Ask at reception for which classes would be best for you to start off with, for example...
    - Do Hatha/Iyengar Yoga rather than Ashtanga / Power if it specifies
    - Ask if there are specific beginning classes (spinning usually has a 15-20 min class for beginner to get the moves)
    If that's a lil spooky doing it face to face, call them, they don't even have to know who you are so you can ask as many questions as you like!

Or you could just hang around walking on a treadmill to checkout people in the classes!

Classes are a great way to have more fun out of the gym, feel like you're really learning things and progressing, plus it's a great motivator (either via the instructor, or eyeing up a regular and aiming for what they can do!). If you go regularly you can get to know people too (turn up early for more chat time).
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I go to a YMCA Zumba class. Besides sticking out for being a guy in a class of 20-30 women, it doesn't help that I suck but I don't care. I'm there to have fun while working up a sweat. Most people that are there don't care either. Just go.

just bring your self. phone the gym and see how the sign up sheet works some require 24 hour notice others just have it that you show up before class and sign in. we have all felt out of place at first but you get the hang of it and sweat a lot which is what your wanting to do any way. just go have fun
  • monharri
    monharri Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't belong to Gold's Gym, but I did have some of the same fears when I joined LA Fitness. I was nervous about sign-ups, and how rigorous the classes would be, and if I'd look like a complete idiot cause I was really out of shape. But I ultimately went because my will was stronger than my fears, and slowly but surely, I learned how things worked. Mostly everyone is very friendly in the classes, and it's okay to strike up a conversation with the instructor beforehand to let her know you're new so you can get extra tips. They're there to help you get the best workout possible so feel free to approach them. And if you feel like being in the back of the class starting off, that's fine--I enjoyed watching everyone so I could learn the ropes and it allay many of my fears. But I would just encourage you to push yourself to go and you'll learn your way. That's what I did, and now I'm addicted to the stuff, and I've lost 26 pounds in two months because of those classes (step, strength training, boot camp fitness, cycling). The hardest step is always the first one. After that, IT'S EASY! You can do it! Good luck!
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Know what? I'd never been to a gym class before, but I'd heard so many positive things about Zumba that I just took the plunge and went.

It's freaking awesome.

I just wore sweatpants and a t-shirt. Wear what you're comfortable in, loosen up and have fun. I got my best advice from a 70 year old lady standing next to me in the class. I commented to her, "I don't feel like I have the first clue what I'm doing!" and she joyfully responded, "It doesn't matter! Just flop around!"

And you know what, she's right. Just keep moving, do the best you can, and have fun. I've been going twice a week for about two months now and just finally got the courage to move up one from the back row, but I'm still in there and I'm catching on to the steps. And just FYI, I weigh 240 and I'm only 5'4'', so if I can do Zumba (and if the 70 year old grandma next to me can do Zumba), ANYONE can do it! :)
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    As a group fitness instructor, I love seeing new people come into class! Its a great way to build a network of friends a the gym who are like you - trying to get into shape or staying in shape! I would suggest bringing a towel and water to class. And lots of energy! You don't need any other special equipment - the gym should provide all that you need. As far as dress, it would depend on the class. Dance type classes you could wear what you wear on the elliptical machine. For yoga or spin, I would suggest at least knee length tighter pants and a tighter shirt. During yoga you don't want to be doing a downdog and worry what you are flashing people :) Also for spin, the tighter pants help you not get stuck in the pedals. I also don't like shorts for spin, they tend to ride up on me and I like the extra coverage of longer pants on the bike.
    Always go at your own pace. If you need to take a break, do it. No shame in needed to recharge and then get back into it. Good luck!!
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would totally recommend you try it out. When I first joined the gym at work, I was terrified about taking classes (let alone with co-workers and people I know!) so I stuck to the equipment. Later on, I felt confident enough to try and now I LOVE them. It seems like the time passes by so much faster and I truly enjoy it. I do step, cardio sculpt, and circuit training. It's a blast.

Just dress comfortably depending on the class, bring a towel, water, and of course yourself. Hope you give it a chance! :-)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I WENT!!!! And I go for my first Zumba class on Saturday and am returning to the pilates/yoga/tai chi class on Sunday!

Thank you for urging me to go. I did get a hold of my friend and she went with so we planned out more sessions to go to together.
    YAY MFP!