Do you track before or after you eat?

Options
I was just wondering, do you track your food before or after you eat it?
Which do you think is better?

I find when I track my food before I actually eat it, I can decide that maybe only eating half of the __ would make for a better day, but it's also pretty daunting. but sometimes when i wait until afterwards, i realise i've eaten more calories than i thought!

what do you guys do?

Replies

• Cntewell
    Cntewell Posts: 35
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Always before as depending what and how much I eat or drink it will cause greater fluctuations if I do it after.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually log after. Many times not until the next day.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I track before, then go back and make changes if I go off plan. It helps me to have a clear plan and see what im eating and like you, I can make adjustments as needed.
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    Before. It helps me make better decisions about what I'm eating to see the impact on my daily allowance.
  • razorbecky
    razorbecky Posts: 134
    Options
    i usually log after i eat,
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food before and sometimes during...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I usually log prior to eating, but my food during the day is very structured, so it's easy to do. And for dinner, I have my BF call out what he's using prior to settling down for dinner. If I end up eating less, I can always adjust, or I know if I have room for eating more if I'm still hungry!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Always after.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Before whenever possible, to see if I can spread out my calories or save for a small treat. I find it really keeps me on track!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I log after if it is food I am making myself. If I am going out to eat, I will look online and decide what I'm getting before I go. In that case, I log before. But usually after for me.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I log a week in advance, then I only eat what I log.
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    I try and log my entire day in the morning so I can plan out what to eat..and what I can fit in as a snack or treat. I find that planning it out helps me to keep within my goal :happy:
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    In the morning, I fill out the whole day. I'm aiming for 40% carbs: 30% fat: 30% protein so this allows me to fiddle with the food weights to get it close. When i deviate from the plan, I go back and modify. Sounds a little tedious but I enjoy it.
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I usually track after I eat but I will look up the calories sometimes if I'm going to certain restaurants.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Since my breakfast and lunch are pre planned I usually log them before I eat....dinner and snacks are usually after.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do both...LOL Since I eat most of the same foods throughout the week, I post the calories after I have eaten. If I am going out to eat or am running low on calories, I will enter my meal first.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    For me, logging before I eat is important. I usually do it the night before when I am planning what to take for lunch and what to have for dinner. I will sometimes have a change of plans (especially for dinner) but at least I know how many cals I have to work with. I go back to my diary during the day to update (delete snacks that I didn't actually eat or add something, etc).
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I always log as Im eating lol. if im cooking, then ill log the food then. if i didn't log it then then i would forget,
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat. I try and figure out the best way to lay out everything. Though after tomorrow I do believe I'm going to be doing the body for life challenge, and will lay out all my meals in advance.