Do you track before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I track before, then go back and make changes if I go off plan. It helps me to have a clear plan and see what im eating and like you, I can make adjustments as needed.

I tend to do the same thing! That way I know if what Im wanting to have will make me go over for the day... then I can 1/2 the serving of a meal to allow something that I'm really wanting so I don't feel deprived. Sometimes that low fat ice cream treat at the end of the day is worth only a 1/2 serving of dinner to me! :wink:
  • Allan1962
    Allan1962 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast and everything that I take with me to work (because I know I'm going to eat it all) first thing in the morning. That gives me a good indication of what I have left. If something special is coming up in the evening (dinner out or with friends) I make sure to leave a little extra.
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I usually log after. I do love logging before though! That way I can see how many calories are left for the day and if I can have treats or not.. ;)
  • CleanCarol
    Options
    I track before I eat. I find I do better if I have a plan for the day, so I write out what I'm going to have and stick to it.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.

me too
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I track my breakfast, lunch and snacks prior to eating because I know exactly what I am having for those meals. Dinners are hard to plan because I know if I am going to get stuck during my commute home or what. I also only log my exercise AFTER I actually do it :-p
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Usually after, unless it is something that is already on my list that I have used. If its new, after, sometimes while eating I will look it up on phone.
  • Bellasfitnesspal
    Options
    Always after
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Maybe I make a plan in my mind, but actual logging, I do it after eating. As with exercise, I like to "write it down" after.

On dessert though, I wait to see what my meal's calories mount up to and only then do I decide whether there's room for a little something or not.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I usually log before, since I plan my meals out. If anything changes, I go back and modify.
  • skinnybiotch75
    Options
    I track my food before I eat as much as possible. That way I know if I decide I want to eat something extra I know what calories I have left to work with. It also keeps me from going over my daily limit too.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I Pack a lunch everyday, so I eat breakfast, then log that, and log what I brought for lunch. I also log any snacks during the day, after I eat them ( I usually pack healthy ones with my lunch, some days I get to them, some days I don't so I log them only after I have eaten them). Then when I get home, I check what I have left for calories, and log what I plan to eat for dinner to see if it "fits". Then at the end of the night, I will log a snack after I have eaten it if I have enough cals left. So, therefore, I am alllllll over the place!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Before. A lot of times I'll track days ahead. I might change some things around but at least I have a plan.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I am having dinner at home, I ask my mom to try and measure things so I can figure out my calories. Then if it is a big dinner I will adjust my lunch. That is usually the weekends. If i know I am going out to eat, I try to look up the nutrition information before so I know what I should order. If there isn't any, I will have a lighter day because my calories will be relatively unknown. If I am bringing all my food to law school with me, like a salad and sandwich, I don't bother to log it until after because the day is already all planned out.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I do both. It helps me to plan around my biggest meal, especially if I'm going out to eat.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I log before unless it's something I've had many times and know I'll be under if I eat it. Otherwise, occasionally after... but I always log everything.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. I just posted almost this exact same topic. LOL I usually track after the fact but was wondering if perhaps logging it in advance might help me stick to a tighter regimen.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I track before, then go back and make changes if I go off plan. It helps me to have a clear plan and see what im eating and like you, I can make adjustments as needed.
    Exactly, me too... it really does help to make adjustments when what you are planning to eat comes to too much - just by having a slightly smaller portion, or changing from mashed potato to a baked potato, can bring you in under calorie goal.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.

me 2 :smile:
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If I've pre-planned my meals I will go ahead and log them. Otherwise I log as I'm eating.